1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Hate Lying

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mister E, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Mister E

I really want to tell my mom that I'm gay, but I'm really scared. She is very religious and I'm afraid she won't accept me. I've told a few of my friends, and they all seem to accept me, so its not so much the telling her part. Just her reaction. Which is probably a "duh" moment, but just pointing it out.

I have a gay friend, who she knows about, and she also has two friends that are lesbian. But I'm afraid she'll be more affected since I'm her son. Especially since homosexuality is considered a sin by most.

Plus, if I do tell her, I'm afraid she'll freak out and not let me have friends over that are guys. Or at least make it like with girls, where I need supervision, which would mean I'd barely have a life since I'm usually home alone.

I really hate not telling her. I tell her almost everything. :/ I want to tell her, but I'm really scared... :help:

2. jargon

I'm in a similar place right now. My dad is a very conservative catholic. Somehow he worried that my brother might be gay (and congradulated him for being straight when he had is first gilfriend) but never thuoght about that for me.

It sounds like your mom might not be to homophobic though. Sure it's a common theme among the very religious, but she has a couple gay friends - people who she willingly associates with, when she could just as easily not. I would expect if she was overtly homophobic that would haev caused some conflict in that friendship, or at least you would haev heard her say sometihng about it! Admitedly since your her son she might have different expectations.

Good luck in any case :slight_smile:

3. Ianthe

Why don't you talk to her about the gay people that you and she know, and ask what her beliefs are about it?

Do you know her lesbian friends? If you decide to come out to your mom, maybe you could arrange for one of them to be available to talk to her.

What's her denomination?

It sounds like it's just you and your mom in your family. If that's the case, you are probably very important to her. It's really unlikely that she would throw you out or anything like that. She might not be very happy about you being gay, at first, but she will probably come around.

But, yeah, first just try to feel her out on the subject.

4. bwhopper

bwhopper Guest

God did make you as you are and it won't change. You moms friend can help as well if you ask.