1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a hug (sorry for the long post)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SecretColor, Nov 9, 2011.

1. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    So I've realized that I can't tell my coming out story without the person I tell thinking I'm mentally unstable. Why is it so hard for anybody to accept that I've actually made things better for myself?

Yes, I did face (emotional) bullying from a member of the LGBT community at school. Was that person ever taken to task for it? No - I didn't feel like dragging it on at the time, and now, 'solidarity among the institution' apparently takes precedence, but whatever; karma probably kicked his ass more than any person ever could. Meanwhile, you move past it, but everyone treats you like damaged goods. I'm tired of hearing "awww" when I tell my story. In my experience, "awww" either leads to getting ostracized or someone calling the Crisis Hotline because they think you're in trouble...which sucks when you only told your full story because they told you something that indicated they trust you.

In terms of me, the thing that made my coming out so awful may still carry a weight, in terms of how it's shaped the 'gay' part of me (if that makes sense) but it no longer carries a charge. The thing is, I can't seem to convince anyone that it was literally just 'something that happened.' Will my coming out always be looked at as this giant void that overshadows my personality, appearance, etc. instead of a stepping stone? What must I do to show that this pinprick of darkness does not extinguish my light? Isn't the fact that I've trained to make my room a Safe Zone (and am going to become further involved in that) so nobody has to go through what I went through proof enough that I am a stronger person because of it?

*Just to clarify, I'm not depressed, or even upset/sad. I'm just trying to work through this with the help of people who might be a little less rationalist than I am*

-Twisty

2. PapaFugs

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can understand where your coming from... I've had many people think that I am depressed because of what I have gone through. I guess that I glad that there are some people that care for others in the world still.

But I understand the way that you feel too, because I have been in that situation before.

4. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    First off, thanks to both you and PapaFugs for the support. And I know that the person who called the Crisis Hotline did so out of genuine concern. It's just that there's so much else that complicates the situation, it's hard to wrap my head around it all.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! (*hug*)(*hug*)

It's absolutely fantastic that you have channeled your coming out experiences towards trying to make the future for others better. You already know or are aware of what you have accomplished and that you have made things better for yourself. You know what? This isthe most important thing. Nothing else really matters.