1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Guitarguy, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Guitarguy

alright ive decided that it is time for me to come out to my parents. the only problem is that the only time that due to my dads early morning job he has to go to sleep at around 8. and only at about 10 after everyone else gets to sleep is when i can regulary talk to my mom alone. so i really wouldnt want to have to wait for a time when they are both together and alone. it would be a random time so i most likely wouldnt be ready.
    so i guess my question is: do you think that my dad would feel hurt if i tell my mom such a big thing first? and who here came out to only one parent at a time or both and why?

ps also any tips on coming out to a dad who i really want to have a good relation ship but i have never really been the sports fanatic son that hes always dreamed of. i dont want to dissapoint him.

2. J Snow

Coming out is about you. While taking your parents feelings into account can be important, I think doing it however makes you feel most comfortable is more important.

3. Doctor Faustus

You would know your parents better than I do, but I'd say I don't think your dad would be hurt if you told your mum first, as long as you are honest to them both and you explain that it would be too inconvenient for you to have them in the same room with you. If your dad loves you for who you truly are then he won't be disappointed if he realises you're bisexual. Your parents need to realise within themselves that you've been very brave at your young age to tell them; if they don't, that's their problem. Between you and me, I didn't have that kind of courage when I was 14.

Of my parents, only my mum knows, for the simple reason that my parents are separated. I live with my mum here in England (hello from England!) but my dad lives in Hong Kong. I don't really know my dad - of the three weeks I spent in HK recently on my last trip in September, I spent one full day with my dad, plus a few family dinners. There is a disconnect there and frankly I don't think coming out to him would help relations between he and I in the slightest. He would be mortified if he found out.

The single biggest piece of advice I'd give you would be: Remember to look after number one, and number one is yourself.

Good luck. I hope this helps. If you need to talk just write on my wall. I'm not advanced enough to get to pm yet! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,

Doctor Faustus.

4. Guitarguy

Thank you guys so much im gonna try to come out to my mom in the not to distant futer and see where it goes from there. and who knows the right moment for me to tell both of them might just come around before i tell her anyways.