1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way Outed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by No One, Nov 9, 2011.

1. No One

So after much consideration, I have decided to place this in the coming outsection as I am not really asking for advice, although I would like some support, and discussion (and even advice I guess) would be appreciated.

Sunday I went out with some friends and the entire night my mom kept texting me and calling me acting all weird wondering when I was going to be home. When i asked what was going on she just said nothing and asked me to let her know when I got home. When I got home I opened her door to let her known I was home and she aske me to sit down. This was our conversation:

Mom: Sit down
    Me: What's going on?
    Mom: Just sit down. So tonight someone told me that this summer while you were working, you told one other girls you work with that youre gay...
    Me: ... OK ...
    Mom: Is that true?
    Me: No... (I'm lying here if you can't tell)
    Mom: Then why would she say that? You would tell me right?

The conversation went on like that for awhile. At some point she at least said she would "still love me, even though [she didn't] know how". I talked my way out of it, but I honestly don't think she believed m, even though we are pretty much acting like nothing happened. After this I got a call from my sister. She was crying really hard because apparently my mom told her. I'm not sure who else she told, but I have felt really uncomfortable around her and the girl who basically outed me.

I know a lot of people will say this was a good chance to come out, but seriously she would take all my freedoms. I'm going to be 18 soon, so I just felt it would be better to wait...

Well thats my story... not really a coming out story, but kinda.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given the history, and given the previous behaviors your parents have shown, I think I'd encourage you to wait until you're 18. I do think, based on this post and other things you've said in the past, that your mom is probably trying to come to terms with the fact that you're gay... but under the circumstances, you just don't know what they might do. So I think your sense that you should wait is probably the wisest choice.

(To others who are unaware: No One attempted to come out years ago and it was disastrous, and he basically lied to his parents that he was just "in a phase" and they bought it. So telling him that his parents will surely accept him and it will be OK probably won't be helpful in this circumstance.)

3. seeksanctuary

I think maybe you should talk to the girl who outed you, and explain that telling people's parents about their children's sexuality is not a polite thing to do.

4. No One

The woman who outed me is my mom's friend (technically her daughter told her and she told my mom) an talking to the daughter would probably do nothing but make the situation worse. She is the petty "I always get the last word" kind person, so she would probably take it even further.

5. seeksanctuary

Ouch, okay. Bad idea then. I'm sorry the situation is so... constraining? :/ Hang in there, and I hope things smooth over soon.

6. Eleanor Rigby

I'm sorry sweetheart (*hug*). I think you definitely did the right thing by not telling your mom.
    As Chip, I think that she suspects you're gay and she is trying to come to terms with the idea, but her reaction (and your dad's one) are far too unpredictable for you to take the risk to come out now.
    (*hug*) Take care honey

7. Jerseyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    sorry to hear that man, sucks it slipped the way it did but its not like theres anything you can do about it now. The only thing I can think of would be to tell your friends that you're not quite ready to have that talk with your parents and they should respect your privacy and just watch what they say. It sounds like your mom will accept it, but I agree with everyone that its probably not the best time. It'll get better =]