1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy friend? weird request... ugh.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by midwestgirl89, Nov 9, 2011.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a good friend that is totally unpredictable and I'm tired of it. She tried to commit suicide in May, I took her to a mental hospital, and ever since then she's been up-and-down, up-and-down. She will be completely happy one day and depressed the next. I've tried to help her but no matter what I do her moods are insane. I'm afraid half the time that she is going to kill herself if I don't answer the phone on accident.

Today, she texted me and said she feels "completely unloved and ugly" because her ex-boyfriend got a new girlfriend. I get tired of her complaining. People break up, it happens. I've been dumped and it hurt like Hell. But I don't complain to my friends all the time about my problems. I understand my friend coming to me every now and then.... but she keeps getting upset about her bf that she broke up with like 7 months ago. And when she is upset it gets to a scary amount of depression.

Anyway, today she asked me to facebook message her ex and tell him he is ugly and his girlfriend is ugly. I said no because I thought it was a ridiculous request. 1. I don't know the guy. 2. I don't know the girl. 3. I don't cyber bully... under any circumstance. It's wrong and immoral. Bullying is gross and not cool at all. It disgusted me that she asked me to do such a thing. 4. They're not that ugly..

She settled for me telling her repeatedly how ugly they are and how pretty she is. I've already told her countless times she is pretty, loved, and a good person. She doesn't believe me so whatever. Anyway she told me she wants to meet tomorrow so I can tell her how ugly her ex and his gf are.

I am sick and tired of her issues to be completely honest. I do come on empty closets so I can't say I never go to anyone with problems.... but she overreacts about her ex. People tell her all the time that she is beautiful. One day she'll be writing on facebook about how everyone loves her.. and the next she'll say "I have no one. I'm alone. I have nothing to live for."

I'm tired of her crying wolf, I'm tired of her insecurities. I have enough of my own. I at times just want to delete her from my contacts and tell her to leave me the f*** alone. I have spent so much time and effort trying to keep her alive. I don't care anymore about her problems or her whining. :bang: :***:

If you can't tell, I'm mad at this situation. And I don't like anger. It's my least favorite emotion.

Ahh sorry I needed to vent and I was wondering what you guys think of the situation. What would you do? Do you think I'm overreacting?

2. Mogget

One of the most important things to do when providing peer support is to set good boundaries. Your refusal to make that post on Facebook is an excellent example of good boundary setting. But it sounds like you need to set more boundaries than just that. Your friend is calling you about issues that you are not equipped to handle. And you shouldn't have to. These are issues she should be addressing to a therapist. And it's perfectly okay to say, "Look, I know you're having problems, but I can't help you right now. You should talk about this with your therapist, not me." If your friend threatens to kill or hurt herself, tell her to call a crisis line.

This isn't cruel, it's necessary. When people try to get counseling from their friends, it makes things worse. It strains the relationship between friends, and gives them an excuse not to go to the people who can help: psychologists and psychiatrists.

If your friend isn't seeing a therapist, encourage her to do so. Make sure she's taking her meds if she has any (a lot of people miss their meds or refuse to take them).

Your role as her friend is to support her, not to counsel her and certainly not to talk her down from crises.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the above. Speaking as someone who's been in a position similar to your friend's - prolonged grief after a breakup and such - it's wonderful to have friends there to help you when you need them, but if she's still as "up and down" as she was at first, or worse, after 7 months, seeing a therapist might not be a bad idea. One friend (okay, a few) suggested that I do the same when I was in that position, and quite frankly it was the best thing they could have done for me.

Set boundaries, be there for your friend when you can, but don't take on the role of therapist or emotional counselor. If you're not trained, it won't help them in the long run anyway, and you'll just make yourself frustrated (as you're already experiencing).

4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thanks for your reply. I get really mad at her for being so dramatic. I've told her before she should go to a therapist (well, more like suggested it) and she says they don't help her. She won't listen to any of my advice. I've given her crisis lines before but I doubt she would ever call them.

She thrives on drama and making others worry about her. She wants me to freak out enough so that I will pay attention it seems.

She took meds for a while but then stopped. I told her she should stay on them but she says she has no insurance.

I like your advice, I guess I'm to the point that I don't even want to be there for her anymore. I'll try to suggest therapy again but she's so stubborn.

I found it weird that she wanted me to say bad things about them to make her feel better.

5. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey maybe if you do meet her, it might be handy to bring a few friends along or friends you both know. Get them to back you up, it would definatelly be more effective than reasoning with her alone. If she starts her whining and complaining, change the topic and focus your friends instead.

6. coquelicot

Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like you are trying to fix her problems, or that you feel responsible for making her happy. You have no control over that. No matter what you do or say, you can't keep her from being depressed, irrational or suicidal. I think you need to accept her for who she is which, unfortunately, may be a manipulative and irrational person.

If you can't accept that, then perhaps you should consider ending the friendship, or, at least, ending the pattern of friendship you've had up to now. You can't make her a different person, but you can decide what sort of people you want as friends, as well as how much time and effort you want to put into them.

Honestly, it sounds to me like she is not capable of being a friend at this point in her life and what she really needs is a therapist. You are not her therapist. If it were me, I'd say something like, "Let's have coffee next week and I'll listen to what's going on in your life for an hour," then I'd ignore her until that date. One hour, once a week, seems reasonable. It's not your problem if she doesn't like it. If she complains, say, "I have a lot going on right now and this is all the time I have at the moment. See you next week."

7. seeksanctuary

Uhg, this sounds so much like the person I'm living with... :/

You need to put your foot down, plain and simple. Trust me, people like this leech off you and lead to emotional drains. Are you tired a lot, especially after being around her? More irritable? Having health problems like headaches, stomachaches? If so, then for sure, she is toxic and you need to distance yourself from this person.

I'm so sorry you have been dealing with this... but you don't HAVE to. She sounds intensely negative-- she wants to have coffee with you just so you can tell her how ugly two people are-- and she needs mental health treatment. Friends don't rely on other friends to keep themselves from committing suicide; you're afraid of not picking up a phone, for goodness sake. That is not right. She has you trained to take care of her, to indulge her, and that's not healthy at all.

And ahh, the old "therapists don't work" line. Sorry, but that should read "I don't like therapy because they try to change how I behave and I don't want to change, I don't need help because how I behave is fine by me".

Seriously consider backing off for a while. Create some polite fictions if you must-- you have an interview to prepare for, your family member is sick, whatever-- but take a break and seriously consider if this is the sort of friendship you want. I suspect it isn't, but you don't have to be trapped in this endless cycle of drama. It's not easy, but you can end it. She'll try and drag you back into it... they always do... but if you want to reclaim your life, it's possible.

8. Marlowe

You are right to be frustrated. Dealing with someone with a metal health issue is very difficult because they don't think like you do, so it is hard to communicate. As someone who has dealt with mental health issues, I can tell you that it is genuinely difficult for her to believe you when you say that she is a good person. You have been a great friend up to now, but it is reasonable that you should question your role in her life, and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. You are not her therapist. You are her friend. You should focus your efforts on getting her the long term help she needs. Most importantly, you should not and cannot take responsibility for her happiness. It is dangerous for both of you. You because it will leave you emotional vulnerable when you are unable to help her, and her because she probably needs a professional, which you are not.

The best way forward would be to get in contact with a relative that can and ought to be more directly responsible. It is difficult to say no to someone who needs you, perhaps to stay alive. But in the end she is using you. Try to get her the help she needs and find someone to fill your position, like a parent or a government social worker (or if you are still in college a dean) and if she won't cooperate, then the choice is up to you. But I would not judge you for moving on. it sounds like you have done your best.

9. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your replies. Her parents aren't supportive at all because when I took her to the mental hospital (she stayed for a week) I called them to let them know and they said "Tell her to get out and just do outpatient. We don't want to spend money." I repeatedly told them she needed to go.

seeksanctuary, I always feel more anxious when she gets depressed and like I can't rest. I also get worried and more headaches. I am stressed out today. You were kind of spot on. : )

I tell her to go to a therapist but she won't listen so soon I will probably just stop answering her calls or texts.

I also might try what you all said about bringing friends with me. She is a debbie downer when I invite her to other events because she is always like "They are just not my type of people" or "I am too cool for that" afterwards.

Marlowe, I'm sorry you've had to a deal with a mental health issue. I've dealt with depression before (my own depression), my dad is bipolar, and my mom has had severe depression throughout my whole life so I think having this friend is just reminding me of my moody dad, etc. It makes me more upset than I would be if my dad wasn't bipolar.

Plus it isn't fun feeling like you have no control over a situation.

I'll try to tell her to go to a therapist again and if she says no I'll just give up.