1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need coming out advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by becoming me, Nov 10, 2011.

1. becoming me

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am looking for advice to help me come out to people that i am transgendered. When i was a kid i was always told i can be anything i wanted to be, so why can`t i be myself. I getting tired of lieing to myself to make other people happy. my wife knows and she is okay with it, but if i told my family they would disown me and i would be rejected from the family. does any one have any advice for me or know a way i can over come this fear for losing people i care about.

2. EM68

Congrats on coming out to your wife. Now are you seeing a therapist regarding you being trans? If you are you can talk to them about your fears. You may also want to see if there is a PFLAG chapter in your area. When I was working on coming out, not only hanging around EC, I went to a PFLAG group in my area. They were so helpful. In addition, hang around here, we are a friendly bunch. :grin: Why do you think your family would disown you? If you are confortable post some more info about your situation.

3. Vesper

I'm glad to hear that your wife is understanding. As for your family, your family is who you make them to be, and doesn't have to include your relatives if you feel that they would simply disown you for being transgender. No family worthy of being called a "family" should disown someone for wishing to be on the outside what s/he feels like on the inside. I can understand disowning someone for terrible choices or actions, but gender identity is as much of who we are as our hair colors and skin colors, and as much of a choice as either--not a choice at all.

4. becoming me

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have not talked to a therapist about it. As for my family (relatives) on my wifes side she just had a cousin that came out a few days ago that he is gay and they make fun and call him names all the time so i know that if i tell them i am trans and bi they would treat me worse them him. On my side my relative hate all members of the L.G.B.T. community and when they see a gay or a lesbian they make in inappropriate comments. So i can only imagine what they would say if they found out about me.