1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...Ouch.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nykoru, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, bit of background. I'm in my second year of postsecondary, live with my parents to save on money until I province-jump again (next summer!), and am thoroughly closeted when it comes to my orientation/genderness/whatever you want to label it as. I am heading to a masQueerade ball tonight.

The subject came up with my mother. She is a currently nondemoninational raised-Catholic and previously has made her opinion of homosexuality known with a mention that she 'pities' gay men.

Well. Her daughter is one. Anyway. Subject came up, and she... added detail to her view. As she was talking about how it's such a hard life, and one what she would never choose for anyone that she knows, I'm standing there trying not to show just how much I'm cringing inside.

She prides herself on being openminded and inclusive.

There is no way I'm coming out to her while I'm anywhere near dependent on her in any way, shape or form. :icon_sad: And to think that five minutes before the conversation started, I was thinking about how I'd come out.

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2011 at 05:49 PM ----------

So. Yes. Venting required. Venting helped. Feeling slightly better -_-

2. Vesper

Sorry to hear that your mother feels this way. Feelings of pity toward people like us can be just as bad as hating us, or even worse, because at least people who hate us are sincere about their hate.

Many people consider themselves open-minded and inclusive, but when it comes to practicing what they preach, they are unable to do so. It sounds like your mother will not react well initially, but I think that she should be able to come around once she knows someone close to her who is gay.

You're right to keep from coming out to her while you're living with your parents. Hang on there until you move out, and can support yourself. You should tell your parents then, and if they react badly or worse, you won't have to depend on their money.

#2 Vesper, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks :slight_smile: I'm pretty sure my dad would take it well enough - he's quite laid-back and gets along with everyone - but he tends to work out of town (normally as a pilot, temporarily as a long-haul trucker) and so is not the one that I have to spend the most time with :/ I am counting down the months to freedom, however, and I hope tonight really helps.