1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would I explain this to my friends..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LeCiel389, Nov 11, 2011.

1. LeCiel389

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always liked girls, never doubted it at all and I'm out to all of my friends but I have issues with my gender identity. I consider myself as bi-gendered (though biologically, im a girl), because I feel that I fit into what i've heard some people call 'the third gender', where you don't feel entirely feminine or masculine but are inbetween them both.

Some days I can wear a pretty dress and make my hair and make up look nice, and be proud of who I am but be completely different the next day, and want to look the complete opposite. Baggy clothes to hide my body and hats to cover my hair take up the half of my wardrobe that isn't girly clothes, and I'm proud of that too. When I look like this, I feel flattered if someone mistakes me for a boy, because half of the time... i feel that's what I am. It can be frustrating at times when I want to cut all my hair off, and have it boyish but knowing that if I do, when i feel like a girl again .. i'll regret it. It's like a no-win situation, but i've always been like this so i'm used to it :slight_smile:

My best friend understands me completely, and isn't surprised when I look like a completely different gender from one day to the next. It doesn't confuse him at all. However, most of my friends aren't familiar with Transgenders, and if i tried to explain that I'm Bi-Gendered they wouldn't understand, because I've been asked questions before about the way I look and some new friends that i've made after starting college are probably quite confused. How would I explain to them my gender identity, and how it isn't all to do with what I wear/look like or what I am biologically, but what gender I feel like I am inside ...

How should I explain it to them, if they ask?
    Hope it made some sense :') Please help

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem...
    I would explain it to your friends like you did in this post. Just say that some days you feel like a girl and other days you feel like a guy. Then you can answer any questions that they have.
    Good Luck!!
    It's nice to see another bi-gendered member on here. Welcome to EC!!

3. Chandra

Well, I think you did a pretty good job of explaining it to us in your post there, so why not try telling them more or less what you just told us? :slight_smile:

As far as cutting your hair goes - short hair can still be paired with jewelry, make-up, clothes etc. for a very feminine look. And it'll always grow back. So I'd say if you want to cut it, go for it.

4. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any advice for you because.. I feel like that but not as in appearance, its like one day i'm into guys and the other i'm into girls, some days i'm into both XD, its kinda confusing but i like it.. i mean it doesn't bother me at all, its me and i am happy like that and i think everyone should be :slight_smile:. You have my sincere "good luck", i would love to give you some advice about that but its not something i have experience with, i never felt like dressing as a girl or anything, (although i might act a little bit feminine at times, rarely).

And yeah, everything you said made sense ^^

5. MommaFrog

I've felt this way for a long time and never knew there was a name for it... Perhaps I am bi-gendered or a member of the "third" gender as well....

Example? Yesterday: make-up heels, jewelry, push up bra, ultra femme! Today: Baggy jeans and sweater, sports bra that flattens my chest, ultra butch / masculine...

As far as telling your friends and explaining it, just tell them you dress how you feel, so sometimes you feel super girly, and others you feel kinda like a guy. If they are real friends, they will accept it

6. LeCiel389

Out Status:
    Some people
    I know exactly what you mean :} Im pretty much the same
    And I think they will accept it, theyre not the kind of people to react badly to something like that :slight_smile:

#6 LeCiel389, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  7. MommaFrog

I'm super glad I could help!!!!