1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think... I might be ready

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nykoru, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering that I've been going to work (at The Home Depot, Canada) for the last while with a bound chest, and that there are several guys out of the closet without issue, I feel that of all the places to start really being myself, work might actually be one of them :grin: Even if I'm working on not working for the rest of the school year there, being out in general is my current goal. Well, not in general. The actual general's not coming until I've moved out of my parents' place.

Any suggestions? I'm not planning on just walking in and blurting it out or anything, but perhaps just not hiding? Even if I'm not confident enough to use the men's room yet -dies-

2. Chandra

This is generally the approach I've taken to coming out, and it works well enough for me. It sounds like your work is a pretty accepting place, so I'd say this sounds like a good idea.

One note of caution though - you mention not fully coming out until you're out of your parents house. If you feel that there might be some kind of bad situation you'd be in if your parents found out (abuse, being kicked out, etc.), be aware that if people at your place of work know, it could get out to your parents eventually too. Not that I want to encourage anybody to keep hiding, just to be aware of that possibility.

3. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    The only connection my coworkers have with my parents is that one of the girls in a different department is my closest friends in this province, and she doesn't have much of anything to do with my parents. Logically, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, given the amount I'll be working there until I leave, and if necessary, I can manage things once I'm in Saskatchewan (in terms of getting a job, and using my healthy savings until loans kick in). Also, my parental reaction isn't likely to lead to getting kicked out, just... a ton of yelling in the short term, some arguing that I'm really not sure/just trying to be special (as in, why can't I just be straight? I like guys, after all), and a whole ton of disapproval.

Thanks, though :3 I tend to run scenarios through my head, and like to plan for every eventuality. Here's hoping everything goes well tomorrow! (it being my next shift)

4. Jim1454

Have you looked into what The Home Depot Canada's policy's are towards transgenered employees? I checked, and The Home Depot Canada is a corporate member of Pride At Work Canada. Here's what they say abou themselves on that website:

Now just because they're a member doesn't mean these values trickle all the way down to the front line staff, but it's a good start. Hope your shift goes well.

5. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    My place is pretty good, although I don't *know* anyone who's trans at my store. Things went pretty well - I didn't get to the point of actually saying anything about it, but I do feel so much more like myself when bound and packing XD I did keep thinking about the pitch of my voice, however >.> It's hard to be assumed to be male at five foot four, a hundred and twenty pounds, and with a voice that tends to the soprano when lilted -_-

Overall, though, ¡es muy bien!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's great that things went well. As Jim indicated above, Home Depot is a very inclusive employer and promotes diversity among its staff. I don't think you have too much to worry about. Just be yourself. :slight_smile:

Just curious, are you out to anyone at work?

7. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I find it difficult to speak about anything private, but I'm debating coming out to the mutual school-work friend I have there soon. I figure that, while she's churchy, she did drag me to a drag show put on by the school's LGBT* group last year XD