1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"We tried to tell you, and you paid the price."

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by don29002, Nov 12, 2011.

1. don29002

Sorry that this is very long but since I don't want to post 5 million posts, here it is.

Last night.

I don't like my friend Tabitha for telling my crush Andrew I like him..
    Well I think she should've asked my permission before she TOLD Andrew I have a crush on him [which never happens in life but still] and ruined it for us. I was gonna wait it out and see for myself if he likes me or not..
    BUT I admit I told her a little too much; 7 words: "Tabitha [my friend] I have a crush on Andrew."
    I'm gonna talk to him on Monday about it. I don't want our friendship to end, if we can't be lovers.
    I was at the Mall from 5:30 to 7:15pm.
    As I was leaving the Mall I saw Andrew walking IN.
    He gave me the "what's good" head nod, and I to him.
    And we parted ways; however he saw my friend, and this was their convo:

My friend: andrew knows u like him
    he asked me at the mall

Me: really? what did he say? and I saw him

My friend: he saw me and i said hi like usually then he was like" who is obsessed with me? is it donald?"
    i was like "I DONT KNOW ALL IK IS THT MY FRIEND LOVES U!!"
    he was like is it a guy
    i said yes
    and he goes to his friend "ITS DONALD!!
    lol

So before this happened last night, about a month before today she told me not to tell anyone that she liked her now ex bf--when she had a crush on him--and I didn't.
    But she ran off and told Andrew that I have a crush on him... after her bf broke up with her, and I felt SORRY for her.
    Pfft.. I hate her... I'm not telling her anymore of my secrets.

About an hour ago.

So today I tried telling Andrew on FB how I felt about it since I wasn't there when it happened; so I said "I wanna talk to you about last night" and he said "y."
    Is THAT the right way to treat a friend?
    I said "Just to straighten things out, b/c I still wanna be friends with you. ur a gr8 person" and he never replied.
    It's sad that he was so harsh, but..
    Since Andrew doesn't care that I wanna save this friendship, or whats left of it I think 1 of 2 options:

1. He probably doesn't care about me liking him--which is fine, I'll stay friends with him but I'm not gonna express my feelings to him;
    or
    2. He hates me and doesn't wanna be friends with me anymore--which I really wouldn't care over.. we weren't close but we weren't strangers.

Right now I feel like there's 2 parents in my head--not my real ones, but they're kinda like my conscience--telling me "We tried to tell you, and you paid the price."

What are anyone's thoughts? And should I still talk to him on Monday?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, sorry that Tabitha didn't keep your secret. But honestly, many teens (and a lot of adults as well) are not very good at keeping confidences. It's just something you learn over time.

As for Andrew... if he's not communicating with you, then you probably need to give things space. He might be uncomfortable that you're attracted to him, or not want to deal with drama, or any of a dozen other things.

Additionally, you talk about "wanting to save this friendship" and then a couple lines later say "we weren't close but we weren't strangers" so it doesn't sound like it was much of a real friendship to begin with. As such, it's perfectly reasonable for him to ask why you want to talk, and probably not very reasonable for you to expect him to treat you in any particular way.

So if he's not responding... he doesn't want to talk... so give him space. You don't need to shun him at school on Monday, but don't make any particular effort either. To be honest, you sound a little clingy, and I think if you just relax a little bit and don't obsess so much over what are pretty normal interactions among teens, I think you'll be fine.

S

3. don29002

Yeah. I'll just try not to think about him Monday, and if he asks me about it, I'll ignore him.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! By stating this,

Chip, already summed up what I was thinking. Reading through your previous posts as well, it might be a good idea for you to start taking a few steps back and think about doing things perhaps a bit differently. Sometimes, giving space to others, allows also us to think clearer about our own actions and emotions.

Reading through some of your other posts as well, I think the time has come for you to start creating some distance between you and Andrew. He doesn't seem to care too much about the friendship. This is actually the opportunity for you to say "enough! I need to move on from this."

5. don29002

Yes. Mirko you're right. I even saw all 4 hours of Gone With the Wind this morning, and it gave me the courage to not be the obsessed, self loathing heathen I've always been in my life. If Gone With the Wind was my life, here's all the parts:

1) Scarlett O'Hara--me
    2) Rhett Butler--Andrew
    3) Melanie--My best friend Jenna
    4) Ashley Wilkes, Melanie's husband--Matt

Thoughts? (If anyone has seen GWTW)

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2011 at 02:01 PM ----------

Also, the quote "With God as my witness, I'll never go hungry again" is super important to me.

6. Doctor Faustus

Yeah, but is Andrew really ready to reciprocate?! In that sense, I'm not quite sure the comparison to Rhett actually works. =/

I'm afraid teens thrive on gossip and scandal, and I'm sorry that Tabitha acted the way she did. I think you need to explain to Andrew that you were the victim of some rather malicious behaviour and hope he understands. If he doesn't... be optimistic. Plenty more fish! :slight_smile: And if nothing else, perhaps you've learned from the experience about who you can trust and can't.

7. Kcaz12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hey i know exactily how u feel i have had the same happen to me and it did not turn out well either so u are not alone and u must talk to him on monday my current bf broke up with me last friday and then just yesterday he asked me back out i was so happy i said yes and all is good but yea u guys need to talk face to face that would be a good thing to do

8. don29002

Andrew IS a young Rhett. He's the one who seems abusive, the one who I don't want--the word I being Scarlett--and by the end Scarlett wants Ashley--in this case Matt, the one Scarlett pines for and hopes he reciprocates the feeling--but after his wife Melanie dies, he tells Scarlett he never loved her at all, and "Melly" as they call her, was the one with heart.
    But in the end, Rhett leaves Tara for Charleston again, and the only thing Scarlett has to work for is Tara and herself.

I made the comparison because I compared GWTW to my own life. I figured maybe I will be Scarlett, and I might not get Matt or Andrew, but at least now I have to discover the things I want to work for in life.
    Oh yeah: My songwriting and determination to want to act in films, work in law, and be in radio--have my own radio talk show. (Kinda like Rush Limbaugh, Wendy Williams, or Howard Stern, but about any issues I want to discuss.)

GWTW made me realize that I don't need people to survive, and if I think I do, then they'll go down the Tunnel of Hell with me.

Also about Andrew, even though Rhett reciprocated his feelings to Scarlett, that doesn't matter to me comparison wise, as I've already made one. And yes we thrive on scandal--it's in our Peyton Place/GWTW blood.
    I'll tell him that it was rude and vile what she did to me, and it would take the Red Sea parting again to make her--or any girl like her, in my experience--change her ways, I don't see how he couldn't understand more.
    If he doesn't, all I'll keep saying is "With God as my witness I'll never go hungry again!" The hunger meaning I'll never obsess and starve for a man like I have done before.

Damn, I should be a motivational speaker or an author, shouldn't I? :eusa_clap

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hi there! I would encourage you to think beyond the movie and not to compare your life to it. Although you have gained bit of a different perspective on the current situation, now you have to take it further. Now, being obsessed and self loathing (in any situation) is never good. It only brings you down and you start entering a labyrinth, and getting out of it might be really hard. The movie has provided you with an escape from your earlier thoughts and feelings about others and yourself. But if you don't deal with them and start addressing them, they will come back.

Try to start changing your mindset on being obsessed and self-loathing. If you need help, ask for it.

10. Jim1454

You're injecting way too much drama into your life. At 15, you don't have 'lovers'. At best you have a boyfriend / girlfriend. And most people at 15 don't have even that. I was 25 before I had a girlfriend or a 'lover'.

What else did you do today? Did you talk to your mom? Did you do any homework? Did you do the plain old boring stuff that people have to do every day? I fear that you're spending way too much time in your own head thinking about these interpersonal relationships that are way more important to you than they are to the people around you. Andrew may not have responded because he had to have lunch or dinner or do his homework. And you should go about your own business as well - and not even worry about this. You said yourself that you weren't close. If he doesn't respond to you, leave it alone.

But don't intentionally give him the cold shoulder at school on Monday. Assume none of this happened and go about your day as normal.

11. Mad Man L

Andrew's done a typical straight-guy reaction here. In short, don't expect him to talk to you for a while. Just give him space and maybe avoid him (he'll probably avoid you, though) for a while, and you might want to have someone else talk to him about it.

But I wouldn't be trusting Tabitha with secrets anymore.

12. Doctor Faustus

Frankly, who would?
    But don't go badmouthing her. That would be dangerously stooping to her level.

13. don29002

Basically all I've done is watch GWTW--ALL 4 hours--and listen to music on my iTunes, watch TV and eat..
    Also of course I know no one else cares about the people I do, but it helps when my friends are near so I have someone to talk to and not have just songwriting to rely on.
    Yeah, maybe he did have something to do. But this isn't the first time he just didn't reply--on normal days he would do it too.
    Like all I'd say is "Hi" and no reply.
    But now I don't care; because of GWTW I've to learn to grow a pair and stop being such a bitch about things; stop wondering "When will my prince [or princess since I'm bi] come and rescue me?" because there ISN'T one in my life.
    And I have got to learn to stop being emotional, I hate ejecting my emotions on people. I don't know why I do it but I've done it since I was born. I've never been self confident, but now I am, and I will take no for an answer and grow H cups and move on.
    It's a part of life, especially Scarlett's.
    Also why should I never compare it to my own life? The movie and my life are the exact same: Scarlett's father died, and mine did as well; we both never got the men we love, although I MIGHT have a chance with someone.
    *Rewatches the movie*
    Also obsession and self loathing is something I do often but because of the movie I've to cloud the obsessiveness and loathing out my mind. I know if I do these things people will always think I'm crazy and miserable and needy, a Rhett, and won't talk to me, nevermind love me.

14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to read that your father died. (*hug*)

Stop watching the movie and do the things you need to do. They are far better distractions than watching Gone with the Wind over and over again. All you do is, and as you have already identified it, 'cloud your mind.' But does it address the real issue here? No, it doesn't.

You are only 15 years old. You will find a boyfriend/girlfriend at some point. Heck, you will be having several bf/gf before you end up with the one with whom it is meant to be. You are making a drama out of something that doesn't deserve to be a drama. And in the process, you are also making it a lot harder on yourself than it actually has to be.

If there is no reply for him, and if it has happened already in the past as well, why not try making some other friends? Instead of watching the movie over and over again, why not try thinking about the clubs you could join at school or perhaps even in the larger community?

15. don29002

You do know the rewatching the movie thing was a joke right? Of course I'm not gonna rewatch it. I know the things I need to do to change myself and I'll do them. No loathing and obsessing. Be closed minded. And I need to stop exerting emotion, emotion is great internally.
    And thanks for your kind sympathy but don't be sorry. My father was overly abusive and when me and my mom moved to the town I'm in now--which is great and bad but the bads outsmart the greats--I knew I had to stop relying on him being there every day of my life. But also while we've been here, my mom's abusive ex boyfriend started popping in as he was released from prison on 18 October 2010 and a few days after, discovered we moved (In our old house, I'd lived there since I was 2 years old, my mother had lived there all her life, my grandfather died there 24 years ago, my grandmother had lived there for 57 years, and my father died there.) and soon after came by to see us.
    Then his visits happened more with time, from a few hours a week to a few days a week, and eventually he'd moved in. When he moved in, my father had been dead one month. The unwritten rule for people is to wait one year after spouses pass on and resume, but my mother literally waited three weeks.
    So where do I get my obsessiveness from? My mother.
    She didn't see everything that was happening while her ex lived with us. He choked me twice, threatened to take my life two times--and both were where she was right there looking at him tel me--and also he made me do pretty unsanitary things I can't post here; and then after I'd do them he'd threaten to choke me again.

But now he's in jail on $300,000 bail. He's a diagnosed bipolar paranoid schizophrenic, and hasn't taken--he refuses--his meds since 1983.

Sorry to be "venting" about my internal struggles--with and without sexuality in them. Oh I forgot, since during this time my obsession began, I developed a thing for str8 guys and I was closeted still. So I wrote occasionally in my journal, but my mom's ex would ALWAYS snoop in my room and he found my journal and literally read it from cover to cover and the next day started talking shit about me for no reason even though I was 14 at that time and had done nothing wrong.

#15 don29002, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  16. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading your above posts, that was hard to see though one sentence hinted at it. :slight_smile:

Emotions aren't great internally. Try finding (healthy) outlets for them....

17. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Completely disown Tabitha. Shes a stupid bitch.

That is all.

18. don29002

Oh. Awesome :grin:
    And yeah but obviously I don't feel better exerting emotion, now do I? Here's my "healthy" outlet: I write songs and it only helps the paper and pencil I write with because I've experienced the things I write, yet I obsess over useless crap.
    Relationships are garbage imo--my new mantra.

Of course I will Sparks. I must. She's the poison I mix in my witches' cauldron.

19. Mad Man L

Yep. From what I've read about you (don/OP) before, Tabitha's a repeat offender. You might want to tell her to stop being so annoying, but don't go off making enemies.

^ this. If you did everybody you had a thing for, you'd probably have sex every week. This is to say, calm your farm. You're 15, relationships really shouldn't be an issue at this point in time. Heck, I'm 16 and I'm yet to go on a date. Admittedly I'm a late bloomer and take forever to get over people. But seriously, I think you need to calm your farm, stop thinking about relationships and get on with your life.

20. don29002

It's easy for me to say that I don't wanna date out my mouth, but in my brain it's an addiction. And after all, our brain controls the body and mental processes. My insides feel like relationships are the last written testament.. it's not something I'd love to be in [a relationship] but I hate having people as just friends all the time.. friends are nice to have but I also spend a lot of time at home sheltered and it gets lonely sometimes. :frowning2:
    Also, my 19 year old cousin's mission is to find me a gf... and he's the player/pretty boy type.. and I'm not.
    I would prefer to have a bf but a gf is ok...
    And anyway I die inside every day I go to school. Str8 couples are everywhere in school, always affectionate, etc. It eats at me.
    I try to not think about it and do my work but when I finish my work, I have nothing else to do so I draw in my notebook. I wrote poems about my crush Matt, and they're sweet but it's to get my feelings out my head; it doesn't work because the feelings come back whenever I see him!

Ugh I think I need shock therapy sometimes. :confused: