1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My plan

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Daisy1, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Daisy1

Hi everyone! I'm desperate to come out of the closet, but I'm also concerned that breaking up with my boyfriend will cause the rumor mill to explode and I'll be automatically outed to all.

Background: I have been dating my bf for 6 years. He knows I'm questioning and likely suspects that I'm going to break up with him because I have been pulling away. That said, he's my best friend, and I want to avoid hurting him as much as possible. I also hope to remain friends long-term. I have a trip booked with his family in a few months, so that's another complication.

The plan:

1) Talk to my mother on Monday. I'm not sure how this is going to go. She's very liberal, but also judgmental, and I'm concerned that she's going to think I'm a huge b**** for dating a man while figuring out that I'm gay.

2) Tell my bf on Friday. I'm concerned that this is going to be terrible. Our relationship is really serious and ending it is really scary. Even though he may know it's coming, I'm concerned that he's going to be angry. His yelling at me is a horrible thought. I'm also not sure whether to tell him that I'm gay (likely to ignite the rumor mill) or just that our relationship no longer makes me happy (not 100% true... it's mostly the gay thing).

3) Start telling friends over the weekend. This part I'm looking forward to. I want to stop keeping this stupid secret!

Any thoughts/advice would be very much appreciated.

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Go for it and dont let ur worries get you down

3. Noir

Go for it! I wish you the best of luck possible! (*hug*) You're so brave, I don't think I could do that!

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey (*hug*) coming out is tough especially when you have to tell a partner or husband/wife. It will be ok though and I think the plan you have made is a good idea. Dont fret if you dont stick exactly to your plan sometimes these things happen, in the long run everyone will feel better.

5. Daisy1

Thank you guys. I spoke to a friend who pointed out that if telling my mother goes badly, I might lose my conviction for the other steps. I think I will wait a bit longer to tell my mother.

I've also decided to tell my bf in a letter. It feels like an odd choice, but at the same time, there's so much that I want to say, and I worry that I'll be such a crying mess that I won't be able to get everything out.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont think that a letter is a bad choice, I think letters are an awesome way because you can make sure you include everything you want to and ensure that you put it across in the way you want. Good luck.

7. Doctor Faustus

I think your plan is awesome. Especially putting your thoughts in writing: I often find I can express myself better on paper than otherwise.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you. Whatever happens, EC is here. (*hug*)

8. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

well if you are going to break up with him, wouldn't it be a good idea to cancel the trip too? if you are already locked into the trip adn you can't get out (already paid for tickets or fare, etc.) then it sounds like you have to stick with him until after the trip is over. i dont think you can break up with him now and then still go on the trip with his family. that woudl be awkward. personally i would say get out of the trip and break up with him now. no need in prolounging his or your pain.

9. Daisy1

@silverhalo, Doctor F: Thanks for the feedback. The letter feels right, so I'm going to go with it.

@insidehappy: Yes, I agree the trip will be too awkward. I am no longer planning to go. It's too bad because his family has already paid for the trip, but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to stay with someone for another several months.

I just finished my first draft of the letter, and I would love to get some feedback. It's a bit personal to post on the site, but if anyone is willing to be a reader, I would really appreciate it and I will PM it to you.

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cant say im an expert but you can PM it to me if you like. Otherwise Eleanor Rigby or any of the other moderators would look at it for you im sure.

11. Vesper

In the end, I think you, your mother, your boyfriend, and your friends will be glad that you told them the truth. If you put off doing it, or tell half-truths/lies, it will hurt your boyfriend more than if you just tell him the truth. I'm glad to hear that you decided to take the letter route, since it gives you time to really say everything you want to say. Best of luck.

12. Daisy1

Update: it's only Monday and I'm already freaking out about this. I'm worried he's going to be really angry and hurt (ok, I suppose I know this to be true), and imagining that makes me lose my conviction. I'm worried his family is going to be angry as well since they've already paid for this upcoming trip. Then, I'm worried that my family isn't going to approve of my breaking up with him.

Most of all, I'm worried everyone is going to think I'm a terrible person.

13. Cornflakes

You're not a terrible person, and no one should think that. You're very selfless for thinking of what his family and yours will think, but for you to be happy, and not keeping the secret, you need to think of you, and if breaking up with him is going to hurt less in the long run, it'll be better for everyone than you not telling him and being unhappy. There's no reason for him to be angry, you're just figuring out who you are, that's part of life :slight_smile: good luck, you're incredibly brave.

14. Daisy1

Thanks, Cornflakes. It's just so hard to think of hurting him and everyone questioning my motives and integrity.

15. stilllovelyafte

Daisy, so sorry to hear about your difficult spot. I believe you gave me advice with my similar situation a few months ago. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

I still have not told my girlfriend. We took a break a few months back - and I used vague reasons like the ones you described - not feeling happy, not her it's me, scared of commitment.

Two things to keep in mind about my approach: 1. eventually, I'll still need to tell her. This is one hurdle I will need to get over before I live a genuine authentic life. I am still preoccupied about the pain I've caused/am causing her, and in some ways, I think it is halting my progress. 2. You seem like a great person, and he is not going to let you go so easily. My girlfriend believes we have something that can be fought for and is worth fighting for. While she is starting to give up on me, its been an agonizing period of uncertainty, ambiguity and pain.

Thinking about these points, I wonder: is this any better than telling her the truth? Sure, there would be some acute pain. You're WHAT! How did you not tell me? How could I not know? The initial shock would wear off, and we would both move on with our lives - either as close friends or with certainty that the relationship, for reasons we could not control, could not continue.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt, however, as I still haven't gotten the courage to be honest. I've told myself that I am committed to telling her the real truth in the near future - once I've told it to myself. As sad as it may sound, I am still struggling very hard to accept myself and understand my sexuality. My years of denial and confusion really have my head all f-ed up. My compass is pointing in all different directions, making taking a bold step forward very difficult.

In any event, like you, I have decided to write a letter. Even if I do not get the courage to give it to her, I think the exercise will be a helpful step in acclimating me to the idea. I started writing it last night. I may go work on it some more now.

If you ever want me to take a look at your letter, of course I'd be happy to. I also know how intensely personal it is, so no worries either way.

Keep your head up.

16. unknown12

Your so optimistic :slight_smile: That's good to have before coming out! Don't loose your optimism like me before coming out! I'm coming out to my parents Friday. you're not alone in coming out :slight_smile:

17. Daisy1

Thank you stilllovelyafte. I will, of course, keep you posted on how things progress. I'm sure you understand the sentiment that I just hate being the person causing pain to other people. I have decided to tell him the truth because he deserves to know it. Also, without the truth, I think the breakup won't make sense. Vague terms like "I haven't been happy" just aren't enough to end a 6-year relationship. Thanks for offering to read my letter. I'm going to PM it to you.

Unknown: I'm optimistic about the outcome, but this has been such a scary week. Every time I talk to my bf, I'm worried he's going to ask something and I'll have to say that I'm about to break up with him. At the same time, I want him to know so he's not surprised. But, of course, I can't say "yes, I'm about to break up with you" without that moment being the actual breakup (and that would be a terrible way to break up with someone). I don't even know anymore.

18. stilllovelyafte

Daisy - of course I'm happy to read it if I can be of help.

I also commend you on your commitment to the honest approach. I want to follow your lead very badly. Part of me feels like a monster ending things so vaguely after so much time, love, shared experience.

It's funny - when you think about it, there are a small handful of people in your life you can count on, if you are lucky. Parents, siblings, significant other, very close friends (of which we generally only have a few).

I put my girlfriend at the center of this small group of people who is truly there for me in life. To not tell her just seems wrong... but at the same time...I wish I were telling her something smaller, like I lied about some insignificant part of my background, or cheated on my taxes.

19. Daisy1

StillLovely- Thank you for the compliment. I know that in some ways it seems like I'm doing the "right" thing by being honest, but in my situation, it also feels easier to have a solid, black and white, completely out of my control reason for the breakup.

I'm not sure it's fair to judge yourself for lying to your girlfriend. You didn't know you were gay then, and you still don't know now. Deep down, you want to tell your gf the truth and plan to do so. That's admirable as well. You know her best, and you might be right in thinking that telling her later will help protect her feelings.

20. Daisy1

I'm such a wuss! Meant to be calling mom to tell her that I'm breaking up with bf (not even the gay part!) and I'm sooo nervous.