1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not ready for Pride Works.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by paper person, Nov 13, 2011.

1. paper person

As I had stated in a previous post, I am attending a pride works work shop this week, Thursday to be exact. And to be blunt I am scared shitless.

Last week was a very good week for me. I thought i might even be ready to some out (hahaha how foolish of me). I am not out of the closet and went to one gsa meeting posing as an ally and aquired a permsion slip to atend the work shop. There has not been a meeting since, and this was mid october. Now to adress the issues.

My original plan was to use this as a self experiment. The goal being to see if i could be out for a day. THe conditons seem ideal. I meeting of total stangers all Lgbt or allies. they would proabably expect me to be the gay rather than staight and would have no problem with it obviously. I wanted to see if i could bring my self to say the word if it was brought up in conversation, and maybe if i was lucky secure some freinds who are outside my shcool district. Myabe i could be more myslef and and feel beeter about coming out. So my first request would be any advice you guys may have. Maybe some one has been to a siamilar funtion and tell me what to expect as well as any encouragment. God know I need it.

Now For Problem Number two. While last week was extemely good for me and I may have been readdy to com eout to a close freind ot two. I am back at square one, aka Scared shitless as i stated before. I Feel as if im going to be uncomfertable at pride works and will not allow my slef to open up if only to havwe a good time and not have to be out to any one let alone a room full of people i havent met. I do remeber that how i felt last week and it felt good to be so self sure and confident. I however do not want to rush things and do somthing stupid. Im already lying to everyone i know about where i am going (well except the few aquantinces who may be going as well but we are not that close). Im just lost as far as it comes to coming out. It is certainly less of a nightmare than it was compared to when i was firt figuring this shit out. However Ive becoming in creasinglt worried as i felt that i might do it soon. Im just confliceted and any advice would be amazing.

(for more help and my situation as far as coming out. Please refer to this post.
    HTML:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/support-advice/53479-help-about-out.html 
    Thank you)

So To wrap this up
    1) has any one been to some thing simialr to pride works or a large youth lgbt gathering. if so any advice or encouragmnent?
    2) More Comign out advice and reasurance would be wonderful, im in a state of mass confuison and any thing positve will be most apreciated.
    3) Suppot in general never hurt anyone.:slight_smile:

All responses are appreciated ahead of time and I'm most thankful

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Based on your post, I'm getting the feeling that you're looking to get some support to actually work up the nerve to go, rather than be told it's OK if you bail out. Which is probably all you really need to know - deep down, you want to do this. As scary as it might be, and as big a step as it is, you're excited about the prospect. :slight_smile:

My only suggestion is that you keep your expectations fairly low. Sometimes people expect gay events to be one huge welcoming committee with all eyes and arms pointed in one direction - towards you. And frankly, that's not the case. Most people there are there for their own reasons, and even if they're there to be welcoming to newbies, there are a lot of people there to be welcoming to. :slight_smile: Don't mistake that for cliqueishness or people being uncaring. Do what you can to chat with others, ask some question about their projects, and see if you can get some conversations going. Chances are you'll be fine. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Jim1454

I wouldn't build the day up to be about you coming out to people. Instead, focus on what the day is supposed to be about. Diversity and inclusiveness in your schools. (I'm assuming that's what it's about.) Go there to learn about what other schools have done so that you can bring some of those ideas back to your school to implement through the GSA.

If you don't think you can bring yourself to actually come out if you're asked, perhaps you just present yourself as 'questioning' if the topic goes there. People will be supportive whether you say you're gay, queistioning, or an ally. I'm sure it's going to be a very positive and validating experience, whether you're officially out to anyone or not.