1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today I'm feeling hatred toward myself, but I'm not depressed.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by don29002, Nov 14, 2011.

1. don29002

So today was just not my day. Nothing exciting happened, I fell asleep in class twice, and I got told off--in a non yelling way.
    Anyway on the bus today Tabitha (the one who told Andrew I like him) tells me after I mentioned something about Brad (from another post) and chimes in, "He's [Matt] str8." I tell her "How do you know?" She says "I know when a guy's gay or str8. I was watching this reality show where they had people find out if the guys were gay, str8, or single, and I was guessing every single guy. All the gay ones they couldn't figure out. I was like "You couldn't tell by his voice?""

So now all the damaging thoughts I've had about myself are coming back to haunt me. The "Donald you obsessed needy bitch, why the fuck do you even try in life? You never win the games you try." and all those hateful thoughts.
    I also felt like Scarlett O'Hara: I'm not ever gonna get the men I want.
    So Tabitha told me Matt's str8, and I asked her if it's because of his reactions to things I say and she said "You were like "Hi Matt, whatsup? [And then she said something I can't remember]."

But also in history 2nd period I see Andrew every day. And his friend Paul was back from suspension. So we were doing a full lesson all about the branches of government, the Electoral College, and the like.
    Interrupting my "don't you dare speak about love and relationships" train of thought, Andrew calls my name all the way from where he was to where I was, but he didn't shout it and I heard him. But I refused to acknowledge him.
    So he calls my name twice more.
    And so he sat behind me like usual, except I didn't feel ignored: I was confused.
    He started off, "Donald Simmons/I saw you at the Mall/Ima take you to the prom." So I looked at him and I said nothing.
    Then he asked me for the geometry homework from before the break, and I let him copy off me. I want us to be friends, since we can be nothing more, and I don't wanna be enemies.
    So then he asks me for my pen--the only one I had--and I gave it to him.
    I leaned my ear toward him--the 'I'm waiting' mating call lol--and he said "Hold on", and as soon as he was done gave it back which I appreciate.

So nothing ever happened in History and nothing happened in any of my other classes.
    Except for the fact that I fell asleep in two of my classes while we were watching the movies The Crucible and Enchanted.
    And also that I never saw Matt today to tell him about my invitation as friends since we will never be anything more, as Tabitha told me and as my mind rehashed.
    My friend Victoria is in his lunch period and I told her to ask him if he'd wanna go to the game but she said he ate in the courtyard. (Seniors are allowed to eat lunch in our school courtyard instead of eating in the cafeteria, and it's optional.)

Also going back to Tabitha, I told a few of my close friends about the Andrew situation, and they told me that she's crazy... she twists people's real opinions on things to make them look bad. Which is exactly what happened to me this morning.
    She told me this morning, "Andrew's str8 and stop telling him 'I love you, I love you, I love you' every morning."
    Me: "I don't tell him 'I love you' every morning.."
    But I forget her reaction to what I said.

Anyway I know this is another depression post, but at least give me some opinions on how I should handle my school life these next few days.
    Within the course of one week, and because of my stupid big mouth, everything gets flipped on me.
    Feeling really pissed and down right now, even about Matt. I know someone said just disown her and that she's a bitch but I see her at our bus stop DAILY. :frowning2:

So any opinions on what I should do about my life these next few days?

2. Doctor Faustus

Ignore Tabitha. You're only feeding her.
    Speak to Matt in private (or write to him). Tell him about your feelings, and about how a certain girl is being malicious and trying to stop you from reaching out to him. Be as honest as you can.
    Don't let the bitch grind you down. Even if you don't end up in a relationship with Matt, someone was made to love you, Don. When you get out of high school and start college etc., start making your own way in the world, you'll realise how closed that world in high school really was. It's a bubble. It's nothing like the real world and I assure you horrible people like Tabitha will become a distant memory.
    Try not to dwell on it. Right now it may seem like the worst thing ever, and the most drama you've ever had, but you're only 15. You've got a lot of life ahead of you. And that is amazing. Never forget that. Life is a gift. Don't despair.

(*hug*)

F.

3. don29002

Yes, but I'm only 15, so I only have 3 more years till college... and I see Tabitha EVERY day, and it's impossible NOT to talk to her. She's the poison in my cauldron.
    And about Matt she knows I like him but she thinks he's str8 for the same reason she said before on the bus about the dating show.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is going to be harsh but...

I'm calling bullshit on it being impossible not to talk to someone. You can just avoid them, and if you are around them, answer in monosyllables, don't follow up on what they say no matter what. Eventually, they'll get the message and leave you alone. But you probably at some level like the drama, so you probably won't do that.

Quite frankly, what Tabitha or anyone else thinks about Matt or Andrew or anyone else doesn't matter. You're making mountains out of molehills, and honestly, if you want to solve your problems

1. Stop talking to Tabitha and anyone else who causes or contributes to drama.
    2. Find some non-dramatic friends
    3. Stop obsessing over people.
    4. Maybe put your energy into schoolwork or a hobby you like or something to take you away from the ridiculous relationship drama.

5. Aeon Magus

^^ Some sound advice. Put some distance between you and all this drama, figure things out for yourself first before acting on your emotions.

Plus, "Tabitha" just sounds like a witch's name...
    Oh snap! :grin:

6. don29002

Chip you do not know how hard I've tried to stop obsessing... every day I wake up I feel like hell because of the things I've done in the past about relationships. I beat myself up every day for it, but our past never dictates our future, for which I'm immensely grateful.
    I have non dramatic friends; but very few.. my best friends Jenna and Brianna in my geometry class, and my friend Kaitlyn in my lunch. Kaitlyn always listens to me and never complains or yells at me like most people have. And she's such a sweet person on the inside and outside.

Chip I'm trying HARD to go to the college my mom went to--Centenary College--not just because she went there, but because they have a huge list of things I'd love to do. My main concerns are Philosophy, British Studies, and Creative Writing.
    I'm even working on writing an autobiography too.

I'll try as hard as possible. But I've been obsessed for 4 years. Once you try to stop an addict, they only can change themselves. Thus I will work my ass off to take up Writing.. and spend time with Matt as a friend--as much as I want us to be more. And I know I'll be saying "What if he loved me" but I've got to work on myself...

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're obsessing over Matt and he isn't reciprocal in his feelings, then spending time with him is a really crappy idea. You won't be able to put your desires out of your head and you'll just get frustrated.

Do yourself a favor. If you're still feeling attraction to him, let him go, DON'T spend time around him, and move on and find someone else who is more available.

8. don29002

I'm not obsessing.... with Matt I get that feeling but it's like butterflies.
    And also I haven't seen him for 2 days. He could be sick or suspended or something. So I think since illness takes a week for the person to recover from the Sunday movie isn't happening :frowning2:
    And I'm not very social about hanging out with people; Matt was the second one where I wanted to extend the offer, and he was the first to accept.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was mentioned by Jim on a previous thread that you created: stop injecting so much drama into your life. The things that happened in your past, have happened. You can't change them. But what you can do, is learn from them. Start learning from your mistakes or the things you think you could have done differently.

Concentrate on things you love and need to do to achieve your goal of going to the college you would like to go to. Your obsessions and infatuations could very well put it all at risk because you are adding drama to your life, rather than trying to find ways as to how to have less drama in your life.

Take a break from trying to forge relationships or talking about your past relationships or the mistakes you have made. When I read over your threads, it's clear you are going in circles here, and the only person who is going to be hurt in the end, is you.

Do things that you love and that give you energy, rather than obsessing about things that allow you to fall back into a depressive state.

10. orlaith

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    don it sounds like you've gotten yourself into a bit of a pickle (umm British term for 'mess') and I won't repeat the other pieces of sound advice you've been given already.

What I would say is that while clearly Tabitha is not a great influence on you I also understand how hard it is to just stop talking to someone you see daily - in all honesty it may just cause more drama! But perhaps approach your friendship with her differently - think carefully about what she says to you and what her motives may be for saying things which upset you. It may be she likes the attention you give her or that she enjoys the drama of your lovelife...whatever! She's clearly upsetting you so you need to find a way of shielding yourself from the upset. Perhaps just taking her comments with a pinch of salt will help - good luck!

11. don29002

Today I didn't talk to her at all, but I almost did on the bus coming home...

---------- Post added 15th Nov 2011 at 04:17 PM ----------

I can't "do things I love and give me energy" because I'm not in college and my age... I want to study Creative Writing, Modern Philosophy, British Studies, Prelaw, and a Music concentration. Obsession may/may not make those things worse, but I'm going through the hell of the things I don't want to do in school (Take Chemistry, Geometry, Computers) and I'm doing it just to get to the Promised Land... college.
    I don't know where the hell I'll be in 3 years but all I wish is that I'm still living, breathing, and can remember the hell I've went through.. my mom's abusive ex, my dad/him dying, my grandma dying 3 yrs ago, etc. (So I can tell people and so that I remember them for when I tell my children... it's like the show Unforgettable)

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! When I wrote "do things that you love and give you energy," I also meant that more in a broader sense. Sorry, if I wasn't clear. If you look at the things you do at the moment, is there anything that you love? If you think about your hobbies, are there any hobbies that you love doing?

You went through a lot over the last couple of years. Maybe you are trying to forge close ties with others, including trying to go on dates and try to create a relationship with someone, to fill a void that has been left as a result of what has happened during the last couple of years. What I would suggest is that you talk with someone, say a counselor at school, about what you went through, if you haven't done so already. You might discover a few things that will allow you discover what you need to do to move forward.

You will still be living and breathing, and you will have learned how to avoid and handle different situations in your life.

(*hug*)

13. don29002

I talk to a ton of people in person about my life. Sometimes every day, every week if I can. I have a psychotherapist I talk to on Tuesdays--don't ask why--and I came out to him at the same time I did it in school and he accepts me. That's great, but every time I talk to someone I don't have the emotion or the release of feelings people feel when getting something off their chest. Probably because I've either done it for so long or because my mom's ex made me toughen up, thus showing no emotion.
    I know how to handle most situations we--teens--go through except basically myself. I don't know how to handle myself daily. When I do something wrong--for instance sing off key, get an answer wrong when a teacher asks me a question, even say something weird to a friend and get a million negative looks--I beat myself up. Because I, like my father before me, am a perfectionist. Sometimes I hate this but sometimes I need it to move on in life.
    I've tried to do all I can do with myself to hope I feel great daily, that everything in my day goes well. That no one talks shit in my face; that no teacher degrades me, and makes me small; that no man I'll ever love tells me he's str8, belittles me.
    But unfortunately my life is the exact opposite of every single example.
    Everything in my day never goes well. At least one to two things happen that will stay embedded in me for the rest of the day. The following one I'm better, but I hate myself for holding grudges.
    I've had eleven men--scratch that, BOYS; men are the evolution of boys when we go out into the real world--reject me because they were str8 in my school.
    I have 2 who I think are bi/questioning/closeted, and I'm so afraid to take a chance with them because I'm in fear of the rejection and hurt that comes post-obsession.

Eventually what I will do is literally write my autobiography, so I can convey my life to the world. My aunt suggested it to me while everything with my mom and her ex was going on, on probably the 24 April.
    I've typed so much here that could go down in the memoirs bur that's for a different topic.

14. Eleanor Rigby

Have you ever thought about volunteering for some organization ? I doesn't have to be something big and you don't have to spend a lot of time there, but I think it could be a good idea for you.
    From the tons of threads you've made here, it seems to me that your little world is revolving a lot around you, yourself, your problems, and what people, parents, friends, potential boyfriends are thinking of you or saying to you.
    Volunteering work may help you realize that you're not the only person having problems in this world, that other people deal everyday with things that are much harder than to decide who to ask out, and maybe, it can even bring you to realize that you can even care for other people than yourself for a change.

15. don29002

I know many people around the world have problems, not just me. We all go through life day by day making IMPORTANT decisions, and it obviously means when one defines important "my name isn't there".
    Also I'm not self centered if that's what you imply. If I was self centered I'd show it.... always ranting about things that no one cares about, trying to get the attention of someone who stopped talking to me just to have someone to talk to, etc.
    And obviously there's more to the world than teen love. Teen love compared to issues in the world is super small. Yet the Canadian scientist who discovered the cure for cancer died this year; he was nominated for this years Nobel Prize for some sort of science or medical type contribution.
    3 days before he went to Stockholm to accept, he died.
    So of course there are problems in the world, and of course we all know no one cares about me and the things I do. But I come here for support and help in my life, helpful words to turn my life around.
    And I do care about many people other than myself. If I didn't, I'd have no family, no friends. And I'd be the discussion of dinner theater all evening.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2011 at 01:39 AM ----------

By the way, speaking of organizations, I'm thinking of starting a GSA club at my high school since it seems there are no LGBT people in my school. It can help me meet new people and find out things about people I never knew.

16. don29002

I also thought about when you said I never care about others. Pertaining to people I meet I never talk too much at first but I talk about myself when my conversations about life, books, time, music, or other things get boring and when I have those awkward quiet moments between topics.
    Also I always feel sorry for people when they tell me their story. My mom's abusive ex is an exception but besides him. My 8th grade Spanish teacher saw her friend get hit by a car when she was 6 years old. My current Geometry teacher is 63 and has had 2 heart attacks. The only rude thing about him is that he talks trash about everyone in our class; since he talked trash about my brown eyes I told him "These were given to me by God" but inside I said "Good I hope he has a third [heart attack]."
    NOT that I wish bad things on people, however he gets mad over the littlest things. I had to see my guidance counselor one day and he had to sign my pass so I could go. He was right behind me checking my friend's homework and I raised my hand to ask him if he could sign it and he passed me. So I told my friend about it and he sees me talking to her; he asks me "Donald do we have a problem?"
    I said "You have to sign my form so I can go to guidance but you're not acknowledging me" and he tells me "Well we don't need to discuss it."

Sorry it turned to a me story but still I just wanted to tell you. Even though you call me conceited, we can't walk through this world alone. So I come here, wanting someone to talk to besides just writing my feelings on paper and turning them into song lyrics. We all need someone to talk to.
    And since you say I "never" listen to what another has to say, what's your story?

17. Eleanor Rigby

I completely agree with this. But but to not walk through this world alone, you can't only talk to people, you have to bond with them. That implies not only talking to them, but also listening to what they have to say and not only when they answer your questions.
    EC would be a great opportunity for you to get to know other people with stories and worries similar to your. Most people first come here because they need someone to talk to, but pretty much everyone quickly start reading and answering other people's thread. That's how most EC's members settled in and I believe many of us created strong bonds and sometimes wonderful friendship with each other. But that implies that, though most people are dealing with their own problems, they show genuine interest for other people worries and stories.
    I had a quick look at the last pages of your posting history. All your last posts have been made in threads you started. Maybe that you could start reading other people's thread an try to relate to what they're expressing, or at least try to understand how they may feel and try to show you're supportive.
    I think that you can truly benefit of creating real bonds with other people.

I'm sorry, but things doesn't work that way :slight_smile: See, you can't ask someone to disclose their story to you and what can be painful in this story without building some trust beforehand and at least showing some empathy. And here, you're clearly not showing any empathy. If anything, you're showing passive-aggressiveness.
    If you're interested in getting to know me, or any other ECers, I suggest you read what we're posting on the site and answer us in our threads showing you care about us. That's how you'll show empathy and will build trust. Maybe then, I or other Ecers would like to open up to you.

Take care, Cécile

18. don29002

1) I do answer other people's threads. It's rare, but I do. I'm always glad to help someone by hearing their story. Also how does it seem like I never listen to people?
    2) I do show empathy, but only where it's needed.
    3) I care about other members here on EC, why say I don't?
    4) Why put words in my mouth that I never said to you? I understand if one would quote another, but here you haven't.. like at least have prior knowledge on things. Like when you said I should answer people's threads here. I do. If you go to my "posts made by don29002" link you'd clearly see that I do.

And I'm not trying to be mean or rude--because I'm not rude or mean in person--but I'm just trying to convey thoughts. Why say I never care to listen to people's stories, offer empathy when one is in need of it? It might not SEEM like it, but please don't jump to conclusions and say I 'never' do or never have.
    Also it may seem like I always and only care about myself, but I don't. I do take time to listen to people. I may sound dumb, inconsiderate, or another hurtful word to put here. Be that as it may. Even if I am dumb, inconsiderate, rude, hateful, a kiss up, or something else, I'm human and it's human nature that I do the things I do.
    Pardon me for saying this but I make mistakes. I fuck up. I may beat myself up for it--sometimes constantly--but at least I acknowledge I make them, and I grow from them in all aspects: mentally and emotionally.
    Also I won't post anymore about people I like since it's not important to anyone else here. Seems that if I do a flash mob here in New Jersey will be out at my doorstep questioning me like the police.

Donald

#18 don29002, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... and once again, you're making drama where none needs to exist.

Cecile gave you valid criticism and she's not the only one who shares those feelings. We're not speaking in absolutes here, so "never" was probably not the precise word to use, but "practically never" or "rarely" would not change the intent of what she said, so nitpicking doesn't really help the situation.

I suggest you read what she said with the intent that she meant it: to help you. If people have the perception that you post in a way that is focused on drama and self-absorption, and it's obvious you're obsessed with how many post views you've gotten or how many responses, then clearly, if you have a different intent, it isn't coming through in your posting style. So perhaps instead of getting defensive, you could take the thoughts in the spirit they're intended and use them to help yourself.

So if you really want to grow from your mistakes, then take the opportunity that's being presented to you in nearly all of the posts that people have made responding to your posts. Listen, take in the suggestions, and make use of the ones that are helpful to you. Arguing why they're wrong or won't work will neither help you, nor help the perception that you've created for yourself on EC.

20. don29002

Chip of course I know posting 49999999 topics was stupid. But I responded to them for one day and I get a flash mob trying to kill me?
    And I'm not aggressive in my 'posting style' I state points. I don't know why I'm stupid for using my constitutional right to have an opinion...
    And I never started drama, and if that's what I "did" because "all I ever do is start drama in the 8 billion posts I've created" then sure, that's an opinion. I won't argue with that. Call me stupid, fucked up, infatuated, and defenseless--because obviously all this is true--but don't call me a drama starter, because I'm not one.
    Before I delete this since no one cares about me here, let me say that I posted a coming out question that I want advice on, and it's not one of those "oh here we go again" posts that I'm hated for.