1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I know if I'm transgender?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by diniesaur, Nov 15, 2011.

1. diniesaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've seen a psychologist--in fact, I've seen several. The primary reason I see them is for my Asperger's Syndrome, although I talk to them about other issues such as my anxiety and my feelings about when someone tried to kill me. I've also talked to every psychologist about feeling male.

The first one tried to diagnose me as transgender, but my mom took me away from him becuase she said I wasn't. The next two were indifferent, but when I was talking to them I was dating an (abusive) person who was supposedly transgender, and I'm pretty sure they thought I was influenced by him/her, even though my male feelings started years before I had met this person. The psychologist I am currently seeing says she thinks this goes beyond Freudian "penis envy" and wants me to talk to her about it every week. Although I have a strong desire to have been born male, I'm wary of acting on these feelings too soon because I've seen firsthand the terrible things that can happen when someone who is not transgender starts taking hormones and living as the other sex.

I really want answers. Part of what makes this hard is that I'm talking to my psychologist about this secretly because my mom says that if I "pursue" my male feelings I can't live with her anymore and she won't let me see my brother anymore. She was more supportive before a certain event happened and she realized that the person I was dating was abusive. Before that event, I had a binder and cologne, but after she took those away. My psychologist says that it's legal for her to keep things secret from my mom and that because of my age it would be illegal for her to tell my mom anything I didn't want her to tell her.

For those of you who want to know, here's some background:

I never felt strongly female, but when I was younger I didn't have much of a concept of gender; I played with both male and female toys, and I had both male and female friends. I do remember that my mom told me that sometimes people go through puberty and turn into the other sex, and I wanted that to happen to me. I only remember one strong instance of me wanting to be male and not female; that was when my mom and I saw a woman who had taken testosterone to grow huge muscles. I thought it was really cool, and my mom told me that it was a male hormone, and I said something like, "That sounds awesome!" My mom gave me a scary look, so I quickly followed up with, "...buuut, that's a boy hormone, so I don't want it." I didn't talk to her about feeling male for a long time after that.

When I started puberty around nine, however, things started to change, and I grew more and more frustrated. I went into denial about having breasts and refused to wear a bra until my mom said that if I didn't wear a bra my breasts were more apparent. Even then, I wore bras that were as tight as possible so I could constrict my breasts; I remember I was still wearing training bras when I had size B breasts. In middle school, I told the other students about how I wanted to cut my breasts off. Middle school was also when I talked to my first psychologist and he tried to diagnose me as transgender. Everyone in my middle school called me a "he-she," and I liked it because it was better than being called female. I never tried to tell them to stop.

When my leg hair grew in, I refused to shave it. I thought it was awesome, and I got really mad when my mom forced me to shave it so I could look not hairy in shorts. I also didn't like to wear skirts and dresses, although I remember sometimes wearing makeup for dance shows when I was little.

As my sex drive increased, I realized that I had a strong urge to have a penis that I could insert it into another male or a female. Also around that time, I felt like I wanted to be able to pee standing up, and I wanted to have longer leg hair than I had because I wanted to feel manly. I like feeling manly, and I feel happy when my leg hair is longer than another man's leg hair. My mom says it's a childish characteristic (not in a bad way), like how a little child will want his car to be the fastest. Since puberty, I have always wanted to have a penis, and I frequently talk about my imaginary penis. I also want to have testicles, and I want to not have breasts. I want to have big muscles and a deep voice. I want to be able to be chivalrous to women instead of having men be chivalrous to me. I get frustrated when I try to masturbate because I feel like I have the wrong parts. I feel deeply offended when people expect me to wear dresses and makeup, and I feel inadequate when people try to treat me as a woman instead of a man (not that women are somehow inadequate).

How do I know if these feelings are true? How do I know if I am transgender?

2. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds about in line with how I've felt, although I suspect I'm rather more inclined to hide what's going on that you have been :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and excluding the penetration point; that's just not my style.

Anyway. In the end, the only one who can tell you for sure is you... but I also know how helpful it can be when someone agrees and says, "Yup, sounds like you are."

So.

Yup, sounds like you are. :grin:

I will also say that the longer the sensation sticks around, the more likely they are to be true (simple statistics), so don't sweat sorting absolutely everything out all at once, especially with a mother like yours. Some people don't take well to finding out that their daughters aren't really daughters. We just both ended up with one for a mother D:

Editnote: I actually improvise for a binder with a wide belt (it actually has a weird twist hook clasp thing, but any belt should do the trick) with a strong string for vertical support. Belt goes on, tight as it goes, string ties onto the front on one side, over the shoulder and is looped around the belt in the back, and then ties again on the front. Inexpensive squishing and pretty reliable in the not-falling-off department DX

#2 Nykoru, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. diniesaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks. That helps.

The only thing that makes me especially doubtful is that when I'm on my period I sometimes feel like I enjoy having a female body (when I'm not insanely angry about having one or curled up in a fetal position from pain).
    My psychologist says the same thing--that sometimes parents have trouble finding out their children are transgender. The funny thing is that I was never even in the closet as bisexual (mostly liking females), and she says that my sexuality is the least of her worries!

4. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I have moments too. They usually relate to being able to convince people to do things for me, though :3

I think that gender and sexuality are quite a bit different from a parental point of view. If, say, your daughter turns out to be lesbian, well, she's still your daughter. If your 'daughter' turns out to be transgendered, however, then suddenly you have to adjust a ton of your thinking. You can't use the female pronoun with this person anymore, and it's all you've ever used. Your kid will likely end up changing their name as they work on correcting their identity, so you have to adjust to that too. Heck, all of a sudden you don't even have a daughter! Sometimes it's hard to make the jump from "not having a daughter" to "having a son." If the kid's gay, well, it just means you probably won't be getting any biological grandkids from them.

Also, from a religious standpoint: a lot of people are getting to the point where they can accept that being gay is not a mistake or a choice. It simply is what it is. With transgender, however, there is a mistake, and a lot of religious people simply can't accept that their all-powerful deity messed up and gave someone the wrong body.

5. diniesaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That makes a lot of sense, Nykoru. My mom is probably resistant because of the first reason. I doubt she would be resistant for religious reasons, though, because she's (mostly) okay with me being Pagan... :confused:

6. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    If she's good with you being pagan, then it sure isn't the religious point :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: At least that narrows it down, right? And the fewer reasons to be resistant means it's simpler (and theoretically less time-consuming) for her to come around. I actually tried to convert myself to wicca when I was... thirteenish, but that was one of the rare points where my parents were right about waiting XD They weren't happy to hear about the potential change in religion one bit (but do preach tolerance, so they have to make a show of it), but I've since realized that I don't have to be of a religion in order to not be under the christian banner - I simply don't believe in any coherent sort of deity in my heart of hearts :grin:

I think that ramble covered what I was intending to get at. Anyway. Stay strong, give it time, don't give in, and come vent here as much as you need to until she comes around ˚3˚

(also, playing around with smilies a bit ˚¬˚)

7. Katelynn

From what you've said in your post, it sounds like you are transgender, especially in how you feel about your body. I can certainly relate to many things you have said, such as not being able to masturbate properly due to having the wrong parts & talking about my imaginary vagina (although, since Ive come out, I speak more about my vagina in the future-tense ie WHEN I get my vagina. I am unable to live with y body being male, with having a penis & testicles and have actually attempted on several occaisions to remove them. If your body causes you this much distress like it has for me, then there s a good chance you are transgender. My advice is definitely speak with your therapist about how you feel & as for your mom, what is said between you & your therapist remains confidential unless you choose to tell your mom, so if you want her to back off telling you what you feel is wrong or a phase, just stop telling her what you speak about with your therapist. She can't ask them directly to find out either. But definitelly do not ignore how you feel or try to suppress how you feel, it will only make things feel worse, believe me, I know...

8. diniesaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the encouragement. I've never actually tried to remove my parts--partly because it's kind of hard to remove a vagina, and partly because I've been too afraid to let my mom and dad know about my feelings, and they would definitely find out if I came home one day with no breasts :dry:

I'm just so afraid because I don't want to end up like my ex. I know he was probably also a sociopath, but I stilll don't want to make any rash decisions. I'm even more afraid that my mom won't let me see my brother until he's eighteen (a really long time). I told her about a dream I had that she did that, and she said she would do that if I "pursued" getting a male body. I love that boy, and he sees me as another parent. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't see him. She may have a slightly different outlook by now; back then, it was shortly after what happened with my ex, and now it's almost a year later.

I will definitely not tell her about my conversations with my psychologist until I absolutely have to--which will hopefully not be for a long time.

9. J Snow

Hey welcome to the site =) I've dealt with a lot of uncertainty about it myself. In fact, I kind of still am lol

Pretty much all Freudian theory is discredited as nonsense in modern psychology. The penis thing especially is a bunch of crap.

I'm sorry (*hug*)

I can relate a lot though. When I came out to my mother as gay she took it really badly. She refused to let me tell my sisters or other family... among some other choice things that were very hurtful. I can't imagine having to come out to her as trans as well...

I must say, I've always been very uncertain about myself and being transsexual. Reading what you wrote, it sounds to me like you are. I think its really sad that your mother took you away from a counselor who could have helped you. Its very possible that if they know about why you were removed from them they might be biased against bringing it up themselves.

I for one have always wanted to be a girl, but I've never felt like, really uncomfortable in my body either. Like, just cause I'd rather have a vagina doesn't mean I really dislike my penis. You seem to not be comfortable with have a female body, or at least breasts. I don't want to encourage you to make any rash decisions, but I think this is something that you should stress to your psychologist even more.

If you ever want to talk more, I'm here. Best of luck =)

10. diniesaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks. I have a counseling appointment in a few hours; I will talk to her more about it. I'm apprehensive because although I feel male a lot, my parents say I'm not male. I don't know if this is denial, confusion about how children with Asperger's Syndrome act, or an educated decision. I hope I can resove this without causing conflict or being taken away from my brother.

11. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    -Same here.

-I also do not shave my leg hair. Though my mother doesn't force me to shave.

I always talked as if I had a penis and testicles but blamed it on my perveted mind. I guess that was denial in a way, but I won't know until I talk with my doctor or a therapist when my mother makes an appointment. I hate it when people hold the door for me because I'm physically female. I always try to be chivalrous to the ladies and my friends, but they normally tell me to just go (like holding the door open so they can go first). I feel like I'm in practically the same boat as you.

12. DhammaGamer

How old are you? Do you support yourself? Who is paying for your therapy?

13. diniesaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am seventeen, I am in college, and my college pays for my therapy. I don't have a job, although people give me money for taking care of their pets and my brother. I use that money for textbooks and meals at college; otherwise, I just depend on my parents and stepparents. In my state, the age of medical responsibility is sixteen, so I would have to sign forms to allow my parents to know about what I'm talking about in therapy. When I do sign those forms, I still get to decide which parts I talk about can be told to my parents and which parts have to stay secret.

14. DhammaGamer

Well since you have at least some independence, you shouldn't be scared to pursue treatment. You don't have to tell your parents that you are transitioning.

15. Hexagon

Your life story is almost identical to mine. Including the Aspergers part. I went through the denial phase about eight months ago, and i finally told a psychotherapist about wanting to be a guy, and he wasn't transphobic but he didn't really help. what i really wanted was for someone to tell me i was right and tbh therapists don't seem to like doing that. I diagnosed myself in the end.

It sounds to me like you're transsexual. But we aren't really qualified to tell you that.

Try just asking yourself these questions:

Do you feel like a man?
    Do you feel like you don't want to be a woman?
    How far would you go to change your body? (As this is often an indication of how strong the feelings are. I've met people who feel like men but don't have a particularly strong desire to change physically)

If you answer yes to the first to you are probably trans. The questions probably seem way to simple, but they worked for me, once i figured out that i wasn't scared of feeling that way for myself but for other people.

P.S: If you wanna talk more about trans-related stuff. Or anything. then PM/profile comment me.

16. diniesaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    DhammaGamer, I can do this to an extent, but I can't go beyond talking it about it to my counselor because my mom pays for my health insurance and I would most likely have to go to an outside source if I got anything like hormones. I also forgot to mention that I live at home; I take the bus to my college which is in town, so they would notice if I did anything like hormones. My main fear is not about my parents not letting me or being mad at me; it's about my mom not allowing me to see my brother, who considers me another parent. I love him, and I don't want to be taken away from him.

RubiksCube:
    YES!
    YES!
    Really far!

I have an update. My psychologist says she diagnosed me with Gender Identity Disorder after the conversation I had with her last week. I guess that confirms it. I wonder if my mom will respect my feelings more now that I have a diagnosis. Still, I won't count on it, since she took me away from the last psychologist who tried to diagnose me. I'm thinking of telling her, but probably not any time soon.

17. Ianthe

You should really consider trying to gain some independence from your mother. I realize this may be difficult because of the Asperger's. Perhaps you could discuss possible options in that direction with your psychologist?

How old is your brother?

18. just b urself

ik this is hard and i see that u got diagnosed.congrats on becoming closer to who u truely r.if u ever need to talk im here.i am questioning my gender

19. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Much love =)

I was going to discredit freud but someone already did that. Penis envy is quite clearly a crock of shit, any psych still following it should know better.

If you're ever feeling down, know that not everyone is as close-minded as your mother. I think trans people are beautiful, i would be proud to have one as my child (or partner... or friend!)

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/45857-lets-celebrate-trans-people.html

#19 Pseudojim, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  20. diniesaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks, everyone, for the support. :icon_bigg

Ianthe, my brother is four years old. I don't want to wait sixteen years before I see him again; I love him too much to leave him. Part of why I don't plan on living in dorms yet is because I want to be in the same house as my brother so I can help raise him like I am now. I had to spend most of last year away from him, and it was torture. I don't want to risk getting separated from him again. This is the real reason my mom has so much control over me.