1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gemini

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 11 11 11, Nov 16, 2011.

?

Which option (1 or 2) do you think would be better?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2011.
  1. {Option 1}

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. {Option 2}

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. {Other Option} - please comment with an explanation.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. 11 11 11

Ok guys/girls, and everyone in between. Another issue-specific thread here from me.

Basically I'm stuck deciding between two paths towards getting professional psychological help (something I'm sure I need/want now).

My two options are basically thus:

1. Get in contact with psychologists myself - directly. Organise a consultancy appointment (or something like that) and go and explain my problems directly to them. Hopefully then they should be able to advise me whether or not they think they can help me, if they would consider referring me to one of their colleagues, and all (hopefully) without paying a exorbitant fee, that I would need to clue my parents in to afford. (I'm not sure, is the first appointment with a psychologist free?).
    2. My second - slightly more painful option - is to sit my parents down - and tell them I've been suffering from depression / suicidal inclinations - and beg them to allow/pay for me to see a psychologist (preferablly one of the TG one's on my list). The obvious advantage to this path is that I can (hopefully) get them to pay for the sessions from the beginning, an with patient confidentiality - I wouldn't have to come out to my parents until I was ready to. Another option would be to try and convince them to get a counciller for our "dysfunctional family issues" but that would be a more round-a-bout way to address my own problems. I'd probably have to get the councillor to refer me to someone more suited to dealing with my own problems.

[/U][/I]

• I spent today browsing through the Australian Psychological Society's Find a Psychologist page. I've got a huge hulking list of 20 or so names and email addresses / personal details - that I can get in contact with by myself for option 1. As for why I've picked psychologists rather than councillors - It's because A) I couldn't really find any councillors, and B) I'm more likely to trust the judgement of a nationally accredited clinical psychologist. But I'm open to any suggestions here....Do I really need a psychologist - or would a therapist/councillor be just fine. What's the difference between the two?
    • Currently it's only my mother, sister and myself at home. My dad returns tomorrow evening. I do want to get access to a professional opinion as soon as damn possible - but I was planning on waiting until my dad was home before I brought up my want for a psychologist. Do you think that's wise? Should I be sitting both of them down? I know at one stage Jim1454 suggested that I only talk to my mother - and reveal that I've: "..been struggling with personal stuff. It relates to how I feel about myself." - But I'm currently planning to only tell them about my depression and suicidal crap - not even the possibility that I may be TG. Do you guys think that's the right idea? Will that be enough to convince them that I need professional help?
    • What do I need a counciller/therapist/psychologist for? Well basically to help me establish whether I really am TG or not. Once I've done that - I won't need councilling to accept it - or decide what I want to do about it - I already know all of that. But unitl I make up my mind, I can't begin to fix this aspect of my life. Including coming out properly to my parents. So I just want the psychologist to eventually say "You seem in my opinion to be trans to some extent." or not. My mind will decide the rest.

As usual any advice that you can provide would be most appreciated. :thumbsup:

#1 11 11 11, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. Ianthe

Okay, now I have a new plan for you. (I did some research about health care in Australia.)

Apparently, if you get a referral from your general practitioner, your government health care will pay a large portion of your bill with a clinical psychologist. So, what I think you should do is go talk to your regular doctor--about your gender issues, and about the depression that it has caused for you. Get a referral from your doctor. (I'm pretty sure if you go in and mention your gender issues, you will get the referral you need. It's not like it's something people frequently try to scam about.)

Then tell your parents that you doctor has referred you to the psychologist because the doctor believes that you need to see one, for your depression and other issues. Be as vague as you want. But the referral from the doctor will not only help you to pay for your counseling, but will help you convince your parents that it is necessary.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2011 at 01:47 AM ----------

Oh, and read this: http://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/Medicare_Fact_Sheet1.pdf

3. 11 11 11

Thanks Ianthe. Your a godsend :3

I can't beleive I've been researching this all day and havn't run across it until now :grin:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

4. Doctor Faustus

Ianthe, that is such a good idea.

Good luck with it all!

F.

5. 11 11 11

Sigh - I really need to stop jumping to conclusions don't I. Especially in the thanks department.

Thank you very much Ianthe - you've opened up a new avenue for me to explore, and solved a few worries I've had. You also managed to find a lot of good info after I spent all afternoon digging around. So your obviously a better researcher.

However the only issue I have with your proposed method - is that I still need my Medicare card to see a GP *tears hair out in frustration* Right now - I'm planning to just copy out my medicare card number - and make a booking with my GP - hopefully under bulk-billing, which will send the cost directly to medicare, so I won't need any money for the GP.

The problem with this obviously is, my parents Medicare balance will be charged - without them knowing. And once I get the referral to the pyschologist everything should be fine and peachy - but my parents are going to want to know how I got it - and then how I managed to pay for an appointment with my GP >.<

Ugh - so basically - do I tell them I'm having problems - get them to take me to the GP and get me a referral - or do I take control of my own damn life - charge the GP appointment to Medicare and then force my parents to get me to a psychologist with the referral.

Help anyone?

6. aussiezeek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not an expert on the medicare system here in oz;

When I've seen a GP that doesn't bulk bill all it cost me was the consultancy fee (around $50) and you can claim most or all of that back from medicare by going into their office with the receipt and your card number. The number on paper should be fine - temporary card numbers are issued over the net or in their office on paper. You can get your own card too. FoxFire11 mentioned it in this post.

If the doctor bulk bills I think you have no direct out of pocket fees. (Not 100% sure, it's been a while).

Again I'm not the expert, but medicare doesn't work that way, there is no balance or bills or anything. I've had my own card for many years and have never seen a balance or invoice or even transaction statement. That doesn't happen. Medicare is paid for out of a levy on everyone's income tax (1.5%-3% depending on a few things) - so don't worry about your parents paying any different for it when you see anyone.

If you have private health insurance and charge the "gap" payment (if any) to the private heath provider (HBF, Medibank-Private etc) then it could come off some sort of allowance within the plan. However I've been with both HBF and now Medibank-private and have never seen a transaction statement. You do get one that shows your contributions and maybe how much of each allowance was used that year but I'm pretty sure not transactions. I'll dig up last years one and see. Once the allowance for something is exceeded they just don't cover any more.

eg Optical. Buying new glasses - Medicare covers a certain amount (consultancy and basic amount for frames maybe $100), Medibank will cover up to another amount (based on your level of cover - say $200 a year). If the bill for the new frames+lenses comes to $500 then you'd have to front the $300 when you confirm to buy them. If the total was only $200 then you'd pay nothing and the allowance would drop down by $100, so next time (this year) there'd be only $400 left.

In Medibanks case, they swipe your card through their eftpos system, put in the total cost, and it tells them how much you get back and you pay the balance. The "gap" payment is the gap between what is covered by public healh (medicare) + private health (medibank/hbf etc) and the total.

lanthe is right about the referal, that would be the easiest way to get an appointment with a psychologist and they (or the receiptionist at the GP's clinic) would probably help you set up the appointment too.

I wondered this too. I was seeing a councillor though a work sponsored external provider (common for large companies - "wellness" programs) and she was a qualified Psychologist (got her business card here).

Good luck.
    -Zeek

7. Hidinginalabama

I got to say that Ianthe idea sounds great. Hope every thing goes great for you.:thumbsup:

8. 11 11 11

Thanks a lot Zeek - that clarified a lot of the research I was gather late last night.

All except for the lack of bills/invoices for medicare....I didn't know about that...and that's the final piece of the puzzle.

I'd figured out about the referrals from Ianthe...so here's my current standing:

What seems to be the best way (because I don't have to tell my parents:eusa_danc) - is to get the Medicare card number, book an appointment with my GP, pay for the appointment with the medicare card (does medicare cover everything? Or do I still have to pay? D: ) get he/she to give me a referral to a psychologist, then see the psychologist at least once...perhaps I'll have to pay for that....I don't know...but at least once I've got that referral from the doctor - I can tell my parents I'm having issues without them simply dismissing me. Because If I simply say I'm depressed I just know they'll counter with the argument "but you don't act depressed." or "..what's the reason for this supposed depression." or "...I'm sure this is something you can deal with, with our help." A refferel will make it clear that a medical professional thinks I need professional help.

And then after all that I can finaly get to work on addressing my TG issues! :lol:

If anyone sees any holes in my magnificent plan please tell me :grin:

9. Ianthe

Go to a psychologist if you can manage it. Other counselors and therapists usually have training in psychology, but not enough for the doctorate in psychology. Psychologists have the most education, normally. Well, psychiatrists have medical degrees as well, but they just prescribe medicine for everything mostly, which isn't what you are looking for.

A few days ago, your parents sat down with you to talk about how your relationship is going to change now that you are an adult. Presumably, adults are in charge of things like their own legal identification papers and deciding when they need to go to a doctor.

Make the doctors appointment and then ask your parents for the Medicare card. If they ask why you need a doctors appointment, just say, "I was thinking about what you said, about me being an adult now, and I think it's important that I take responsibility for my own health. While you're at it, could I get my birth certificate and passport? I'd like to apply for my own card, so that I don't have to ask you every time I feel like I need to see a doctor."

If they keep pressing you about why you need the doctor, just say that it's personal and you really don't feel comfortable discussing it. They will draw their own conclusions (and they almost certainly won't be that you are transgender--not unless they already suspect).

I really don't know the Australian health care system, but it seems like you should be able to see both your general practitioner and your psychologist without you or your parents having to pay anything, based on the fact that you currently have no income. I don't know how long parents are expected to contribute to their kid's health care there, but someone said that it was based on your income, and not your parents. The psychologist's website I looked at had a bulk-billing option for low income people.

10. 11 11 11

That sounds like a good plan Ianthe :grin:

Thanks for all your help.

I've already taken down my medicare number - but I'll still go and ask them for the card directly, as you said. After all I'm an adult now right :grin: I don't have to steal stuff anymore :3

Round of applause for Ianthe - I think she may have sorted everything.

Also it seems as long as the Doctor I see "bulk-bills" the appointment will be covered under medicare :grin:

God now I've got to actually do this D:

11. Ianthe

According to the psychologist's website, you can get up to 12 sessions a year through Medicare, with a referral from your GP. (They start by referring you for 6 sessions, and then another 6 if needed.)

You need a low income concession card for the bulk-billing, and with bulk-billing there seems to be no out-of-pocket cost.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2011 at 05:03 PM ----------

Go for it!

12. FoxFire11

I was going to suggest that after reading your OP, but Ianthe beat me to it. :slight_smile: When i had Counselling it was paid for by Medicare, 6 sessions free.

As for the Medicare Card Number that may not be enough, your GP may need to actually sight the card. If that's the case you will have to get it off your parents (assuming you still can't get your own card)

What you could do is lie your parents that your sick and need to go to the doctor. (depending on how you feel about lying to them)

Either way, I wish you luck.

13. 11 11 11

Ugh.

I really am sick of life slamming my face into the pavement.

Here's the update so far guys.

I went out this afternoon to make an appointment at the local Doctor's, which is conveniently close to the train-station I walk to everyday.

Anyway - they had some open appointment slots, one tomorrow, more on Saturday and even more on Sunday. All the literature I had read, told me that if I was hoping to get a psych referral, I would need a double session. The only double session was on Saturday, and I was about to book it - when I remembered to check about payment options.

Turns out the local Doctor's Clinic doesn't offer bulk-billing. Well they do. But with private health-insurance not with Medicare. So basically I can't get an appointment unless I pay at least $80 - $110 for a double session.

I have about....$10

Fuck. :grin:

So this is what I'm planning to do:

I'm still going ahead with Ianthe's plan.

• I'm going to ask my parents for the Medicare card tonight - despite the fact that I already have the details recorded.
    • I'll tell them It's a "personal issue" etc etc etc.
    • Regardless of whether they give me the card or not - I'll hope to have an appointment sorted with a Doctor by tomorrow. If my parents offer to take me and pay, - I can just go to the local Docotor - if not, I'll just have to hope I can find someone nearby - who charges all their fee's under MEDICARE Bulk-billing, so I don't have to pay a thing.

God why does this have to be so damn hard. I'm looking for help, and the pain I'm going through is almost testimony to how much I need it. :bang:

14. Ianthe

Did you ask at the clinic if they know where you can go to see a doctor that will bulk-bill Medicare? I'd think they probably know.

15. 11 11 11

*nod* No I didn't Ianthe, because I'm an idiot.

I'll ring and find out.

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2011 at 07:31 PM ----------

Too late. The clinic is closed for the evening.

I'm trying google.

16. 11 11 11

Well.

My dad wasn't home but I followed Ianthe's plan to the letter.
    My mother seemed to have no problem with giving me my birth certificate and passport - she probably thought they were for a uni application - but she did get a bit frowny when I asked for the medi-care card. She wanted to know what I needed it for - so I admitted I wanted to make a medical appointment, and then she wanted to know why, so I said "a personal reason". That set her off a bit, she wanted to know "WHY" - and I responded "I'm sorry, I don't want to discuss it with you." Then she got all affronted as said, "well I think I ought to know why If I'm handing the card over to you." I explained that I couldn't see a doctor without the card, seeing as I had no money. And she replied "why didn't you just come to me and say you needed to see a doctor?"

And that was that. Right now she seems fine with arranging an appointment and taking me to the Doc in town.

God that felt rediculously easy....maybe the doc will even write me a psych referral without too much hassle XD

Now I feel like going and telling her that It would be good if we could make that appointment for tomorrow, as soon as possible.....but I'm worried she'll think I'm a little desperate.

Everything seems to be going well :grin: - I don't think she has a clue that I might be TG - she probably thinks I have genital warts or something :lol:

Thanks a billion for all the help so far guys - I'll keep you posted.

Now i've got to go work on my checklist for explaining my position to the doctor.

_

17. 11 11 11

Ok I've got a doctor's appointment at 11:15 today!

:grin:

D:

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to say to them to refer me to a psychologist in 15 MINUTES!

Agh! I'm going nuts here! How the hell am I meant to do this? And none of my friends are online - so I can't ask anyone! D:

I'm so deliciously excited and frightened out of my mind!

HELP!

_