1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever feel like this,or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by just b urself, Nov 17, 2011.

1. just b urself

Do you ever feel like life isn't real?Like you feel like you're in a constant daze?I dont know if this even makes sense to most but i know that I for a fact,feel like life isn't real..sometimes to the point,where i go absolutely crazy.Any of you guys feel like this?

2. J Snow

I think most people think stuff like that on occasion. Your post reminded me of a Quote from Game of Thrones that I have to post now though.

Robb Stark: “She once told me the sky is blue because we live inside the eye of a blue-eyed giant named McCumber.”

Bran Stark: "How do you know we don't?"

3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we all feel like that at one point or another. But life is very real, for all of us. If you're having specific hard times right now, it's usually a good thing to talk it out and get some advice. If you are, feel free to PM me or any of the staff. :slight_smile:

4. just b urself

@jon snow..i never head of that actually.do u ever feel liek that?
    @gerry,do u feel liek it alot?ive felt like it for a few yrs now but recently it has been getting worst and worst to the point where it drives me insane sometimes.

5. 11 11 11

I feel like that a lot recently. For some weird reason it seems to manifest in my arms, and hands....they feel really.....heavy and tingly. Kind of when you've been asleep on them all night and you wake up with massive pins and needles.

When I have these "matrix-momments" (got the matrix has been referenced so many times on these threads) anyway - when I get that feeling of surreal-ness, it always seems to make me stare at my arms, like a gormless idiot. Don't know why.

Anyway, yes - others feel the same as you do. Myself included.

6. Hidinginalabama

A lot of the time I feel like that. I'm just walking around and nutting feels real but a lot of that has stopped when I started coming out for the most part.

7. Doctor Faustus

We are not in the Matrix. Life is real. It gets better! :grin:

8. kellymporta

In my case, I usually get troubled when I think to myself that everything I know in the world is just a construct of my own brain.

9. Bi As A Kite

To partially mangle Dumbledore:

"This is all in your head, Harry. But why should that mean it is not real?"

10. just b urself

to everyone,idk,i know now that im not the only one who feels this way becu of sum of u guys and i looked it up on google and alot of people have asked"do you ever feel like life isnt real?"..but its just driving me crazy now.like i think ive pretty much felt liek it my whole life a lil but not to the extreme.just everyone once in awile i owuld stop and just be like"life doesnt feel real." but the last couple of yrs is wen it started happening more and ever since i started questioning my gender a few months ago its been happening alot to the point where im goign crazy and its all i think about and the fact that life doesnt feel rea land the people around me dont feel real drives me crazy and makes me depressed.am i crazy?

11. Ianthe

This is called "dissociation." It is actually a psychological coping mechanism--something in your life is very upsetting or painful (physically or emotionally) and you dissociate so as not to feel the pain. However, sometimes the dissociation can keep going on when the pain is over, or can come back again.

People experiencing dissociation may describe it as feeling like their lives "aren't real," or that their lives are happening to other people, and they are just watching, like a movie.

I also experienced this before I was out. I think it's very common among closeted people, perhaps because when we are closeted we aren't "being ourselves."

12. just b urself

@ianthe,thank u very much.im just sick and tired of it..its making it harder for me to find my gender becuz all i can ever think is"OH LIFE DOESNT FEEL REAL."and liek i feel emotions and all but im nto as caring bout it,like i am.i just dnt appear to be and i k ind of get this numb feeling sometimes.i kidn of have that attitude like"I DONT GIVE A FUCK" attitude..but thats how i feel as if im in a movie.

---------- Post added 19th Nov 2011 at 04:38 AM ----------

@ianthe,i looked at the symptoms of it and here it is:lapses in memory (dissociation), particularly of significant life events, like birthdays, weddings, or birth of a child;

-experiencing blackouts in time, resulting in finding oneself in places but not recalling how one traveled there;

-being frequently accused of lying when they do not believe they are lying (for example, being told of things they did but do not recall);

-finding items in one's possession but not recalling how those things were acquired;

-encountering people with whom one is unfamiliar but who seem to know them sometimes as someone else;

-being called names that are completely unlike their own name or nickname;

-finding items they have clearly written but are in handwriting other than their own;

-hearing voices inside their head that are not their own;

-not recognizing themselves in the mirror;

-feeling unreal (derealization);

-feeling like they are watching themselves move through life rather than living their own life; and

-feeling like more than one person.
    ..and i only have 2 of the symptoms tho wich is feeling unreal(derealization)and feeling like im watching myself move thru life.
    sum1 told me i coudl have derealization.