1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trangender girl

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by firemaker13, Nov 17, 2011.

1. firemaker13

I want to give angel a shot. But other lesbians say not to. Is there anything wrong dating mtf girl

2. StarofMiyu

3. Keelin

Is it wrong to date a person?

Geez... it's not like we are dogs or little boys.... sheesh

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing wrong with that.

5. Katelynn

No, nothing wrong wth that at all! I say go for it & ask her out!

6. Hexagon

No. But be aware that especially if she's young she may still have some physically male features that she may be uncomfortable with. So don't push her to have sex if she doesn't want to.

7. DhammaGamer

Why did ur friends say not to?

8. Ianthe

Date people you are attracted to, and not other people. If you are attracted to her, then there is no reason why you shouldn't date her.

It's very rude for anyone to question your sexual orientation on the grounds that you are dating a transwoman. Doing so effectively invalidates not only your identity, but also hers. If you are not a "real" lesbian, it is because she is not a "real" woman.

I think it's possible for someone of any sexual orientation (saving asexuality) to be attracted to a trans person, since trans people often display traits of both sexes. There is no reason your attraction to Angel should undermine your identity as a lesbian.

9. Keelin

People who look like both are androgyne, where trans. people work our butts off to look normal.

10. WhisperinShadow

If you are attracted to her and she is attracted to you, then I would say go for it! :slight_smile: I don't understand why you got advice for not doing it. I think it's very rude. It's your life and your feelings, not theirs.
    You should do what feels right to you and not anything just to please others. If they don't accept you for who you are then they are not real friends. Nobody has the right to tell who you are supposed to date. It's ok to give a friend advice when you feel that the person he/she wants to date has a bad personality and you feel that this person would hurt your friend's feelings sooner or later. But when it comes to sexual orientation and gender identity it shouldn't matter. When the person is nice and both of you have feelings for each other, then you should be dating. :slight_smile: It shouldn't matter if the person you date is male, female or trans. :slight_smile: As long as you have feelings for each other.
    There is nothing wrong with dating a mtf. :slight_smile:

Wow, that was quite the long post...I'm sorry if my post sounds a bit angry... :icon_redf I just had to express my feelings here... :slight_smile:

11. Ianthe

If the girl did not retain male traits, I think it's unlikely that the lesbians would be saying that dating her makes the OP less gay, which is what she means when she says they think she shouldn't date a transwoman.

And I've known more than one trans person who didn't try to pass as cisgender . (I'm not going to use the word "normal" since it implies that the alternative is "abnormal.")

In fact, the term "transgender" was originally invented to refer to people who live as the opposite sex than was assigned at birth, but who do not necessarily want to undergo SRS or hormone therapy. It has since been expanded to an umbrella term for gender issues. "Androgyne" people are actually included.

"Transsexual" refers specifically to people who change themselves physically to make their bodies match their gender identities better, but even they don't always try to pass.

And for some, the cost of the procedures that would be required to pass are prohibitive, or in a few cases it may be physically impossible with current technology.

Anyway, it's fairly common for lesbians to date trans people. I have not been out all that long, and I've seen it in person a few times already. I know of lesbians dating both transwomen and transmen. (Lesbians dating transmen is not surprising, because many transmen identify as lesbians before they come out to themselves and others as trans, and sometimes remain involved in the lesbian community afterwards as well. And of course, sometimes a lesbian stays with a transman who was in a lesbian relationship with her before coming out as trans and deciding to transition. A lesbian dating a transwoman is not surprising either, obviously.)

However, it very frequently happens that debate ensues over whether the lesbian is really a lesbian if she is dating the trans person. I'm saying that she is, and that being attracted to a trans person doesn't need to make her question her sexual orientation. Whether the person she's interested in is MtF or FtM, it is reasonable to suppose that she is attracted to traits that she has always been attracted to in women.

In some cases, a transman may not be comfortable with dating someone who is attracted to his remaining female traits--however, some of them apparently don't mind it, and it's really his decision to make whether the situation is too feminizing.

12. Rooni321

Yup. Here I am, I love transmen but I still consider myself a lesbian.
    No big deal

13. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    So... are you actually referring to mtf here? Because technically that would be transwoman :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Otherwise that would put you in a heterosexual relationship (not saying you aren't lesbian, of course, just trying to describe the relationship that would occur).

14. jakeystar

Out Status:
    A few people
    there's nothing wrong with it at all. a body is just a shell and gender is in the mind. I myself was born into the wrong body (ftm) and people like you who are understanding and see us for the gender we should be rather than the body we were given really gives me hope of finding that special someone.

aside from that love is love no matter what the boundaries. gender should not come into it and in the end it's not the other lesbians' life........it's yours.

15. Ianthe

She meant what she said. And in fact, if she is attracted to transmen but NEVER to cisgender men, then I think her describing herself as a lesbian is accurate. If the female biology is necessary for her to be attracted to someone, I think it would be pretty silly to try to argue that she isn't a lesbian. (And, again, it's up to the guy to decide if it's acceptable to him to be in a relationship with someone who wouldn't be attracted to him if he'd been born male, or if that undermines or disrespects his gender identity. Some of them become comfortable with "trans" as a permanent part of their identity, and decide that it's acceptable to them that their partner's attraction to them requires it.)

People I've spoken with in this situation sometimes refer to their relationship as queer. In some cases, they would both be offended by the suggestion that their relationship is heterosexual. When a transman dates a lesbian, it may be because he lived for some time as a lesbian before transitioning. He is consequently a part of the lesbian community, and their relationship evolved in the context and culture of that community. They sometimes feel that they relate to each other in ways that are very different from a straight couple, and that classifying their relationship that way is inappropriate. This is especially true if they were together before he transitioned.