1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothes advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by curiousone, Nov 17, 2011.

1. curiousone

Ok, title pretty much says it here. Basically, I'm looking to add to my "style" as it is. I've always been very skinny, taller guy. For the longest time I'd wear the baggy stuff way too big for me, lately I've discovered how much nicer it is to have clothes that fit me properly and even a little tight.

I think what I'm trying to get at here is I'd like to dress just a bit more "femme" (?) than I do now, and I can't find anything anywhere online without getting advice specifically aimed at men who would do a lot of cross-dressing, like the whole dress, nails, wig and everything. That just isn't me. I'm sorry if i'm not explaining myself very well. Put simply I think what I'm looking for is advice on dressing a bit more feminine? without completely overdoing it. I don't see myself anywhere like..."fairy"-ish (and I sincerely apologize if I offend anyone using that term, I just really can't think of any other way to put it.

I hope I explained what I'm getting at well enough, if not I can try again. Thanks

2. Rinamir Mortem

All I can say is if you want to dress in a more feminine manner find someone who either dresses in the way you want to dress or find a girl to give you some advice on such a fashion.

Of course, this is all to your tastes and I cannot exactly assist in naming places as I rarely dress in a manner one would describe as feminine. However, I can perhaps point out that male fashion has indeed turned more to the metrosexual aspect of masculinity therefore the hot beds of male fashion are perhaps good places to start. Personally, were I in your shoes, I would go to Top Man but I would certainly advise finding someone to help you buy things. They would be able to give you on the spot advise I cannot give.

Best of luck finding your look :grin:

3. MyBffIsGay

If I were you, I would try straight-leg jeans in a darker wash, and long sleave shirts. Um, I'm not sure how to explain it, but um...like tighter shirts, but not skin tight. Maybe a plaid shirt, not like a lumber-jack but one that has become more the style recently, in like a turquoise or lighter green maybe? (it depends on your skin tone) also maybe a t-shirt, such as the style from like Hollister or American Eagle, etc. Well, I'm not really explaining myself very well, but I hope this helps at least a little bit...:confused:

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Someone else asked this same exact question a while ago and I told him to go to American Apparel and Abercrombie. They're both one-stop shopping, AA especially.

Shop American Apparel Online | Free Shipping on Orders over $75

These are the rules;

1. Lighter/brighter colors: purple, yellow, orange, bright green, teal etc...

2. Tight jeans--skinny or slim straight fit, and tight shirts. Look for v-necks and henleys.

3. Get your ear lobes pierced but you should only wear diamond studs, preferably white or black. Trust me, it doesn't hurt and it really does make a huge difference. (I had mine done at Claire's for like $40 with the studs included, but apparently guns are a big sin, so...)

4. Look for interesting fabrics and don't be afraid to wear knitted tops, things like sweaters, cardigans, and hats...

5. ACCESSORIZE, get some bracelets or a nice watch. Invest in some scarves.

6. Find some cute moccasins and flat walking shoes to wear with your jeans--avoid black, unless they're converse or something like that, obviously.

5. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Omg American apparel has the best T-shirts and hoodies in 50 million different rainbow colours. Unfortunately they are quite expensive. But you can still definitely look through their website for the pictures and get inspiration from them.

I think some points are: bright colours, slim jeans, and when in doubt about size choose smaller.
    On the other hand I think you could equally avoid the colours and go with a lot of black stuff... That works too, depends on your style....

Oh and also, Wear cardigans!

6. KnightAssassin

VESTS! and then GO GAGA ... but seriously accesorise , alot of things like gloves scarves and vests that aren't worn alot if you wear them alot you *can* come off more fem if done right [ or really metro ] also tight clothes , plus try jewelry [ braclets or necklaces that are ..... rainbow or so ]

also look up little Britain 's character daffyd ....

#6 KnightAssassin, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  7. feverdreamt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hmm since your in the uk, h&m and zara would be easy options, plus h&m is quite cheap.. For online shopping check out asos.. Also if you want like tight fitting jeans, just go for womens jeans.. Cheap Monday has some awesome pairs.. As for colors, i would say go with your gut.. Oh also, a trend right now is patterns, like bottoms and tops with the same pattern (works with just flat colors too).. If your low on funds check out some thrift stores, you can find some amazing clothes.... Just do some research on some modern designers and try to re-create a look you like with more affordable clothes
    Thats all i can think of right now >_<.. Oh and sorry if theres any typos, im on my phone do_ob

8. curiousone

First off, let me thank everyone for your replies. Everything that's been said has definitely given me an idea of what I need to look for, as well as given me a very good handle on some things I already wear that fit into what I'm looking for, like a few shirts I have, and plus I've had a few piercings for years now (and my first two were done with guns at Claire's at well. Looking back I really wish I hadn't had them done that way, but what can you do :dry:slight_smile:.

@Kidd: Thanks for mentioning the previous thread about the same topic, I found that one and discovered some good advice there as well.

I don't so much have my own "style" so to speak, I've always just kind of worn whatever. I think what I'm trying to get at with all this is to develop my own style, so I imagine I just need to try some things and see what works.

In closing...I don't think I'm the only gay in the village. :icon_wink (Even though I'm not really gay but...oh well I'm sure someone gets the point :icon_bigg)