1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emotional Abuse Awareness

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by seeksanctuary, Nov 20, 2011.

1. seeksanctuary

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I'd post it here. :slight_smile:

After kicking my ex out, I realized just how few people are aware of emotional abuse. So I spent the last two days making an information post about it, and I would like opinions on it if at all possible.
    Thoughts?

I just want to help others, if at all possible. No one should have to go through this sort of thing.

2. Sunandmoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the read, it's certainly eye opening. Could you give advice for the person who is abusing the victim and how to let them break the habit of abusing? I'm in this situation and I just want to stop...but the cycle continues

3. MommaFrog

4. Vesper

Excellent article; I found it extremely informative.

5. seeksanctuary

Thank you everyone! :] I'm glad you like it so far.

Sadly, I'm not a professional, and I think that's the sort of help one would need. The only advice I could really offer is to learn what is and isn't abusive, and when the abuser feels it coming on, to stop themselves and think of a way to respond that isn't abusive.

6. seeksanctuary

7. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for that Seekingsanctuary!

You've put a lot of effort into putting together this article. It's logical and clear.

I can imagine that you found the process quite "cleansing", especially if, as you hope, it will be of use to someone else who finds themselves either as a victim or an abuser.

As you say, sometimes it's just too easy to slip into a situation like yours, but I think that the abuser can slip into it too, without meaning to.

I hope you are feeling better now you have made the decision to end the relationship. I had a similar experience, although not a violent as yours, when I decided to split from my second wife after 7 years. I was tired of the belittling, the days of silence as "punishment" and the anger when something didn't suit her. Then when she was talking about having kids, I just knew it was break time.

Within 15 months of me leaving, she was remarried and pregnant. I've heard from friends who still keep in contact with her that she is just the same with husband #2. A shame she didn't learn from our mistake.

Thank you for rationalizing it all so well. Will you post in on you blog for easy reference?

(&&&):eusa_clap

#7 Bobbgooduk, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not clear here. Are you abusing someone else and don't know how to get it under control, or are you being abused and want the abusive behavior to stop. Very different actions based on the answer to that. :slight_smile: Feel free to PM me if you would rather not discuss publicly, but if you're OK sharing publicly, it might help others.