1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a sign that my mom already suspects it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jsmurf, Nov 20, 2011.

1. jsmurf

When I came out to my brother as the only other person in my family who currently knows, his reaction was very warm, but he said he was taken in for a huge surprise because "everything" about me is "so straight." My two friends who I told said the same...

This evening, I landed a friendly kiss on my mom's cheek repeatedly because I just felt like showing my appreciation for her, lol. She jokingly said, "why do you have to kiss me so many times? Find yourself a man to kiss-- or a girl."

I was a bit taken aback by this... Could it mean that she already suspects I'm gay?

It's not the first such occasion from her either.. Back when I was in senior year of HS, I didn't dress all too fashionably. (just walked around in jeans and a hoodie, same outfit each day), and one day when she was sorting through my clean laundry she said, "you obviously aren't attempting to even date anyone, as your unappealing clothing shows. How are you ever going to attract girls-- or boys, by wearing the same jacket and pants to school each day"?

So... What do you guys think? Keep in mind that nobody is able to suspect my orientation by how I act or talk... I just pass as an ordinary straight guy really.

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2011 at 08:13 PM ----------

It was just a split-second, nuanced moment this evening.. But very strange indeed. Could it be that she suspects I'm gay because I've turned down her requests to meet some girls she tried to hook me up with over the last few months? (daughters of her friends)

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2011 at 08:13 PM ----------

And if if/when I come out to my parents, I feel like telling my dad first.. I just know he's a more accepting person overall.

2. Ianthe

If she said "man" before "girl," she almost certainly suspects, in my opinion.

Moms often know. They often know even before we do. Mom is more likely than anybody to be like, "Oh, honey, I knew when you were three and you developed a huge crush on the neighbor boy." So, yeah.

3. jsmurf

But it's not so obvious.. I actually had crushes on neighborhood girls before I turned about 14, and experienced a seismic shift in my sexuality that I kept secret to everyone...

Interesting if she DOES already suspect it though. I would curiously hope that she already suspects it, so that I don't end up shattering her emotions when the truth finally spills out to her about my orientation...

Yeah, she said "man" before "girl" this time around.. With a sort of disappointed smirk on her face, but not too serious in its overtone..

4. plaid900

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She might suspect it, but she might just be testing the waters. But it might not be set in yet as a reality. I am also quite "straight acting" or however you put it.., and none of my 3 sisters or parents actually knew before I told them.

My mom would regularly make such cracks before I came out. When I would come home from college she would ask if I was seeing any girls, I would respond "no". She would respond with "Boys?" and I again would say "no", and she would always say "Just checking."

And when she went on a vacation to San Francisco she jokingly asked me if I wanted any gay pride paraphernalia. I said no, but took it as a HUGE sign that she had some suspicions.

But then when I told her, she was in total shock. In the end it all worked out and she's fine with it, but apparently these signals that I interpreted as suspicions meant nothing. I explicitly asked her if she knew beforehand, and she said she had no idea. Weird weird..

5. Ianthe

It's also possible for her to suspect, but still be in denial about it. Which means that, deep down, she suspects, but would probably never admit it even to herself.

6. hiddenxrainbows

She might have her suspicions, but then again, she might have no clue. I know a lot of people who pick on others, friends and family mainly, about being gay. Just to mess around ya know? Not anything serious. Most of my friends did this to me before I came out. And though a lot of them seemed to already know that I wasn't straight, there was actually a guy friend that joked with me a lot about me being with girls, and he said that he really had no clue. He said he could've sworn that I was straight...So while it could mean that your mom has her suspicions, it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

7. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This^

But also, it could just be her trying to feel things out. Parents occasionally do that, in various forms. I was also going to suggest that maybe she's just trying to be inclusive and supportive, should you turn out to be gay (surprise!). What makes you think she wouldn't be as supportive as your father, though?

8. jsmurf

Plaid, that makes total sense now, thanks! I will nevertheless proceed with the original plan (come out to my dad first, whenever that happens)

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2011 at 10:43 PM ----------

What makes me think she wouldnt be as inclusive as my dad? I don't know... My dad is more quiet as a person (not as colorfully emotional and agitated)... And also my mom's mom
    (who was born in the 1920's in Soviet Russia) is so homophobic that she thinks gays should be sterilized and/or put in mental asylums.

I hope this attitude didnt trickle down to my mom... I do know that my mom gets her haircuts at a gay barber's salon, so I can't imagine that she would be as fearful as my grandmother...

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She knows. She'd never say "find a man to kiss... or a girl" if she didn't already know. And often the people who think they're doing a great job of hiding it... are really obvious to their parents.

So don't stress about it. She's sending the message that it's OK, and likely as not, she's probably talked to your dad about it as well. And I seriously, seriously doubt that your grandma's attitudes have affected your mom at all, or you wouldn't be getting the positive indicators you're getting.

10. jsmurf

But she'll more often joke about how i should date such-and-
    Such daughter of her friends/aquaintances. So maybe she
    Is testing the waters after all.

11. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my opinion she either already knows or has strong suspicions.I think that you should use these little comments to your advantage somehow,you know her,what can you say to get her to elaborate on her comments.If she suggested that i find a boy to kiss,i would reply with something like,"How do you know i havn't" and just see where she takes it from there.

Doing something along that line would be a good way to maybe get an idea of her reaction or expression on her face etc.If all seems positive,you have made yourself a perfect time confirm what she basicaly knows.

Good luck.

12. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

sounds like the mom is accepting so it doesn't matter. seems like u should start wiht her since she already knows or is open to it.

13. Friendly ghost

I would at least say she is either suspecting, or just not positive either way but showing she is accepting. But don't forget your perspective on this. It's like when you get a car you never see, and then see it all the time. ANYthing she says about anything related to being gay is going to set an alarm off for you. So just be careful you aren't making signs from nothing but passing comments.

14. person54

If she consistently makes these sort of comments from time to time, then it sounds like she knows and it may be that she also really wants you to come out to her or let you know that she would be accepting if you wanted to come out.

15. jsmurf

She has a friend whose son is gay, and I remembered she commented about it once, saying that "their son is homosexual, but he's a good son and a hard worker." But that's about someone else's gay kid, not sure how she'd react with me...

16. Beachboi92

your mom could just be incredibly open minded and maybe think there is a possibility you are gay so she leaves the door open by mentioning men and women in reference to who you may be interested in. Sounds to me like she would react fine if you came out, i'd say go for it.

17. Ianthe

Your mom will accept you. I think that is pretty clear from everything you've said.

Not to say it will necessarily be without any regret, but you aren't going to lose her.

Only really, really homophobic people actually disown their gay kids, and even then, they usually come around eventually. People who've expressed the kinds of opinions your mom has don't put up very much resistance at all, if any.

Anyway, she already knows.

What does your brother think about how your parents will react? Will he support you when you tell them?

18. jsmurf

My brother thinks my mom is "just joking" (just asked him by telephone), although he did concede that parents tend to have good intuition and are able to pick up on the subtlest cues.

I'm thinking at worst, she'd have an emotional breakdown for a few weeks, but then would learn to live with it...

19. Doctor Faustus

If that's the worst case scenario, I say tell her. Who knows, she might react better than you expect if she really has these "intuitions". Better to tell her and have a bit of shit thrown at you than not tell her and always tiptoe around the subject and worry about it. ... I mean, she's your mum, right? She is family.

Either way, hope it works out. Feel free to write to me if you need advice.

Very best regards,

F.

20. jsmurf

I guess the reason I'd tell my dad first is that I can trust him on almost all confidential matters without him blowing up about it... Then I'd ask my dad what he'd think of me coming out to my mom separately...