1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't handle society

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AiKira, Nov 21, 2011.

1. AiKira

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The title pretty much says it all. I've been thinking about my future and I'm just not sure I can live a world were being different or liking someone of the same sex is a bad thing. I've only recently come to terms with being gay and have (and still am) been battling depression. How am I supposed to be accepting and trying to love myself If every day I'm hearing people saying 'what a fag' or 'you f***ing qeer!'.

I have had thoughts of suicide but lucky for me I've got a group of very accepting friends who have been helping through this hard time. And sure at the moment everything's fine but what about when I leave school? I will always be frowned down upon by the larger community and never truly accepted. I just really hate what society has come to, bullying people who are different and even evntually forcing them to take their lives! I just wish we could live in a world where everyone is accepted no matter how different they are. Unfortunately I'm stuck in our lousy society.

Sorry for venting. I just needed to get this off my chest.

2. BenKent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    School can be terrible, especially when you already struggle with your status as gay already. The good thing is that it gets alot easier once you are out of school and can truly begin to choose who you spend time with, and if you already have a good group of friends from school just imagine how many people you will be friends with when you have the freedom to choose where/who/how you hangout with people. Society is always going to seem cold and harsh but it is filled with just as many kind, loving, and accepting people as there are lame turds who will judge you... keep your head up! :slight_smile:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is - you can choose your "society". There are many places in Australia (and other countries) where being gay really isn't any big deal at all. That doesn't mean there won't be anybody who looks down on you there, of course, but it's fairly easy to find areas where you won't be an outcast. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. seeksanctuary

Just think of it this way... for every jerk, there is a person who will love and accept you for who you are, and the number of people who would love you anyhow is GROWING. Maybe right now it's 1:1 but in some areas it's already 1:2, and someday it'll be 1:3, 1:50, 1:100.

There will always be at least ONE person that dislikes you for being gay, but they are becoming the minority. It's not a bad thing everywhere.

Hang in there.

5. missyjustice

missyjustice Guest

What helps me is being vocal about my feelings and trying to educate others and spread awareness. Of course tomorrow the world isn't going to all of a sudden be accepting of LGBTQQIA persons but that doesn't mean things can't get better for us in this lifetime and that we can't do things to make things better for ourselves. Also listening to other people's stories helps a lot because you realize you're not alone and that your situation isn't the worst that is out there. We also all need to learn to seek love from within. Once you've developed unconditional self love it becomes so much more difficult for you to be affected by the negativity people throw at you. I mean of course you will be affected but it doesn't have to change the way you feel about yourself. Remember that the problem is them, not you.

6. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second Lex. I'm a big proponent of choosing who and what we let into our lives - it's entirely possible to relocate to a place where you won't have to listen to hateful things like that all the time, and even more important, to meet people who, more than just not saying things like that, will be actively supportive and friendly. In fact, I'd venture to say that this is essential to anyone's, but especially gay people's, well-being.

7. AiKira

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the support guys :slight_smile: It means a lot and it has really helped me.

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some perspective: the world has *always* been dominated by people who fear and dislike people different from them. What society has *become* is a LOT more tolerant of our specific differences...of LGBT people. When I was growing up, there was no debate over gay marriage, no discussion of whether there should specific laws against hate crimes...you just didn't talk about that kind of thing. Oh, and there were no web sites...but even no communities/organizations like this one.

No, it's not awesome today...there's still a lot to work toward. Plenty of ignorance in pockets all over the place. But I've never had more hope that our society can be raised to a better place than I have these days. And with good people like us working toward those changes, we will not fail...unless we give in to fear and give up.

I also completely agree with those who say we choose our community. We shape our reality...we are the architects. Let yourself be surrounded by your accepting and supportive friends, and continue to attract such people to yourself. Believe you live in a world that is open and accepting...that's the best way to make the world so.

I wish you (and all of us) the best.

9. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

Look, I guess you are in high school right now, right? Well, yes it's dificult when you hear other people talking like that in school. But as you said, you have friends that support you and that's cool :grin: When I was in high school I talked to my friends about stuff related to gay people. Now I'm in collage people is more mature and is easier to talk about this things with anyone. I'm sure you could find more people that support you, is just you need to watch the kind of people you are with. There is open minded people out there. I hope you the best :slight_smile:

10. Aielar

Yeah, everyone else has the right idea: Just surround yourself with people who accept you for you, and slowly but surely it should get better :3 You ever need to talk, I'm around...