1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmm... Question... Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mirko, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday, I and a co-worker grabbed a coffee at our 'usual' coffee place, after lunch. For some time, I have been helped by the same barista, and we started saying 'hi' to each other and when it is not really busy we have also bit of a small talk. Usually the small talk consists of asking "how's it going?" or "busy day?"

So the barista, who is kinda cute, makes the late, and gives it to me with a large and a small heart drawn on the foam. While he was handing me over the coffee, he says: "just thought of trying something else for a change," and smiles. My response to that was: "that's cute" and I smiled back.

I have been getting my coffee at this place for a year now, and most of the time it is him who is serving me. That's the first time that something like this happened. Ever since than, I thought to myself that's kind of strange and my co-worker who saw it all, as well as a friend whom I've told about it, encouraged me to go back and chat with the guy and perhaps even ask him if he would like to meet up at a different coffee place.

I would like to go back, but I'm torn between just keeping to chat with him and continue engaging him in small talk, or just asking him, if he would like to grab a coffee after work as we end our workday roughly at the same time. At the same time, I'm a bit worried too that I might be reading a bit too much into it.

Thoughts?

#1 Mirko, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. chrism29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hhhhmmmmm if i were you i would continue to go back there and engage in more of a conversation and then in time ask him if he would like to meet at a different coffee place. this is what i would do.
    best of luck

3. Aielar

Well...it sounds like there is potential for interest from the barista, from how you've described him. Of course, there is also potential that he's just being friendly. So, my advice would be to continue chatting with him and such, and perhaps if he does it again then ask? I'm not too sure on this one, it's never happened to me :3

4. Sunandmoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe keep talking to him normally, but give him a slight signal that shows you're interested in him, much like the latte heart did for you. If he picks up on it, he might come out with more interest in you, and you can take it from there. One question though, do you know if he's gay?

5. Aeon Magus

Hey, Mirko.
    The coffee place here on my side do the whole heart-in-the-foam thing too (for everyone), so I don't think it's something that should be read into. It's just a "decoration", of sorts. Though, it's the first time that he's made it in your lattè, adding that he's "trying something else for a change", which could mean that he's been trying to get your attention (note - "could mean"). Asking him to hang out after work is entirely up to you, though don't go expecting that he'd fall head over heels for you, go as friends. Be friends. And IF it developes into something more at a later stage, you can take it from there... :icon_bigg

Off topic - Is it just me, or does your co-worker and friend seem like the "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" type? Haha...

Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

6. Ianthe

He put a heart shape in the foam. And gave it to a man. I'm going to vote "straight boys don't do that."

I mean, what, he was just dying to make a heart shape, and no girls came in that day? No. Really, really, no.

But think of something other than coffee. Who wants to leave their job serving coffee all day to go get some coffee? Is there a bagel shop nearby or something?

Also, it's weird to ask someone who makes coffee to a different coffee place, which is the competition. So again: not coffee.

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2011 at 10:00 PM ----------

Ok--make sure it isn't a new thing they just do there. Obviously, if they now put hearts in everyone's foam, or even if he just puts hearts in everyone's foam, that wouldn't really mean anything.

Of course, if you think he's cute you can still ask him out anyway. I mean, if it doesn't go well, it's not going to be the end of the world. Just slightly awkward. He's not even really part of your social circle, so to avoid the awkward you can just go to the other coffee place.

7. Sunandmoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know, I agree with you Ianthe, but you never know. I was reading a thread where a guy gave his phone number to another guy (who accepted it), but the guy who accepted the number later said he was straight. People send mixed signals all the time. But overall, I think Mirko should send a signal back because its definitely worth a shot.

8. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

Well, this is exactly what I was thinking. :slight_smile:

Well, I don't know if he is gay, but I did get the feeling on more than one occasion that he might not be straight.

I have decided to go back during my lunch break today and get a coffee, and try chat with him for a while, and see how that goes. :slight_smile:

:lol:

Not really, but they are really supportive, in particular my friend. They are just waiting for me to get a boyfriend.

9. EM68

Let us know what happens Mirko!

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I decided to take a chance. Life is too short for missed opportunities!

Just went on a coffee break and luckily he was at the cash register. I paid the first time around, and didn't get the courage to hand over the note. While waiting for my coffee, I checked my cell, and a friend texted me, asking me as to whether I made contact with the guy. Not sure what came over me, but after reading the text, I decided to go back, and get a dessert. After I paid for the dessert, I handed over the note with "btw, this is for you." The note written on a sticky note, said the following : "If you wanted to get together sometime for a chat, feel free to give me a call at.... I'm Mirko, btw."

He was surprised but said thank you and was pretty flattered. He said thank you a few times afterward too.

Well, at the very least, I grabbed a dessert as well. If I would have succeeded on the first try, I would have just walked out with a coffee! :lol:

#10 Mirko, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  11. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great Mirko! And you got something sweet out of it to boot! I'm excited to see if he contacts you, so keep us posted. :grin:

12. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tomorrow is going to be the day, when I am going to ask him out. For the last couple of weeks we've chatted a bit back and forth; well, as much as one can chat while having the order ringed in, or waiting while the coffee is being made.

On Thursday, I went to the coffee shop again during my break, and ordered a Latte. The same barista guy made the Latte and drew another heart on the foam. He hasn't called or texted since I gave him the note, but he has definitely been pretty friendly and smiling when he sees me coming into the coffee shop.

Putting it all together, I thought I'll take a chance. I don't think I'll lose anything by asking him out.

This reminds me a bit of how two other guys (who are part of a LGBT support group) met. They met at a coffee shop, with one of the guys being a barista a local Starbucks. The barista guy was shy at first, and didn't reciprocate all that much. The other guy in the meantime asked him several times out and didn't give up. After the fourth time or so, the barista guy finally said yes to a date and they are together ever since. At the time I thought I should be hanging out more in coffee shops. :lol:

Here is to being bold and daring....

#12 Mirko, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  13. Bosco

That sounds so sweet
    Definitely looking forward to hearing your good news :slight_smile:
    Best of luck mirko!

14. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

good luck. i had almost the exact same thing happen to me but i gave the guy my card with my cell on it and asked him if he ever wanted to hang or grab some drinks to let me know. he never called or texted me but every time when i saw him since, he was always still very nice and friendly and made a point to talk to me. i did not ask him out again or bring it up because my thinking was that it was his place of business, i did what i could do, if he was interested he would have contacted me, and i didnt want to feel silly if he was straight. so definitely let me know how it goes. maybe i will be inspired by you. :slight_smile:

#14 insidehappy, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
  15. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just wanna say that this is such a cute story :grin:

16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so great Mirko, I'm glad you decided on taking a chance on this. Please let us know how it goes and I wish you only be best luck! :slight_smile:

17. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So today after work, and just before the coffee shop closed, I went in. The timing was perfect, because he was the only one in there. I gave him a card, basically asking him out on a date. I gave him my phone number again. I'll give it a few days, and see what happens.

In hindsight, not sure why I just didn't ask him directly. It was perfect timing! Oh well.

Even if nothing comes of it, I still did something I have never attempted before and it feels pretty good of having done it. :slight_smile:

18. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on asking him out. Hopefully it works out for you.

19. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

whoa that took guts. i totally can relate to this. i hope he calls you. i really do. but even if he doesn't i know you feel good knowing that you took a shot at it and you will never have the "i wonder what if" thoughts. also its not like you have to see him again if things get weird, you can always go to another spot. my advice is now that you have done this, if you see him again and he does not call you. do not bring it up again. do not ask him out again. just go about your normal business, be cordial and normal as you have and act like nothing ever happened. definitely keep us up to date on this one. we need play by play details.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2011 at 12:45 PM ----------

i'm just curious. does dl stand for down low?