1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental illness.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fox1991, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Fox1991

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was diagnosed with ADHD but I never thought I really had it. Really doesnt fit at all. But I went into further details and it sounds like I was misdiagnosed and I believe Im schizophrinic. It fits more and explains a lot more then the not being able to focus. I constently get lost in reality going into a fantasy world, I cant focus, sleep all the time, and I am anti social. I was wondering and wanted to ask cause I was thinking about joining the army but should I get checked out or what?

2. Ianthe

If you think you are schizophrenic, you should probably see someone to diagnose you properly, so that you know one way or the other. You don't want to go on wondering if you are sane or not.

However, if you go for a diagnosis, you might want to listen if a second person diagnoses you with ADHD (or ADD without the hyperactivity) again. A second doctor agreeing with the first is fairly solid. However, if whatever they treat you with doesn't help, you should definitely tell them that. (Ultimately, the diagnosis is, from your perspective, a means to treatment. Otherwise, you don't need one.)

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There used to be something called "Medical Student Syndrome" where med students would read about diseases and assume they had that disease because some of the symptoms matched.

I think that's what's going on here. All the things you describe that fit with schizophrenia also fit with about 500 other diagnoses (including just simply being a young adult, or ADHD), and there are a number of common elements to schizophrenia that you probably don't have.

Now... that said, ADHD is a "diagnosis du jour" that is currently in vogue with a lot of psychiatrists, and an awful lot of young people are being put on Ritalin and related drugs who have no need for them and no business being on them.

So my first question is, who made the diagnosis? If it was a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist, I would seek a second opinion. When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and when you're a psychiatrist, everyone looks like they need drugs.

I do think it would be sensible for you to see a psychologist or perhaps a clinical social worker and have them talk with you and do a workup (which will be far more detailed than the typical evaluation a psychiatrist does.) This will give you a much better, more accurate diagnosis than what you typically get from a psychiatrist. And if your ADHD was diagnosed by your family doctor... then the diagnosis is almost useless.

You may have some issues, but probably not schizophrenia, and very possibly not ADHD either. The key is getting someone who is competent and cares enough to really figure out what's going on for you and help figure out the best way to treat it.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The symptoms you describe like Chip said could easily be describing 500 others. I personally having Asperger's Syndrome could say you potentially have that too. Because not focusing, having difficulty sleeping, being anti social, and getting lost in fantasy sometimes are things I have at times myself. Please note I am not a doctor and you probably don't have AS, I'm just saying as Chip said, you have as much a chance of schizophrenia as you do AS or ADHD, I'd follow the above peoples advice, it'd probably give you the best results.

5. Vesper

One of my psychology professors warned his students about the dangers of self-diagnosing and reading too much into one's own behavior. When reading about all the different disorders, it's easy to diagnose yourself once you identify even one symptom that matches that of a disorder, but only a mental health professional can make a definitive diagnosis of a condition(s) (or a lack of one), and like others have said, always seek a second or third opinion to make sure the first diagnosis isn't a fluke. It's always a combination of symptoms (comorbidity), and many disorders share multiple symptoms, but each disorder has at least one aspect that identifies that particular disorder. A well-trained professional can identify those markers, and possibly run tests to see whether you display any of them. The degree to which your symptoms interfere with your life also factors into the diagnosis. You may not have schizophrenia, or ADHD for that matter; always consider the possibility that you may not even have a disorder at all. No matter what, do seek a mental health professional's help.

6. Hot Pink

I was going to say that I also have your symptoms, but I'm not schizophrenic. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was a kid, but I don't think I was misdiagnosed because I still suffer from it today--since ADD is a life-long condition.

7. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    im in the same boat, i was also diagnosed with ADD but i think im schizophrenic a bit too...

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spend so much time in fantasyland that I went and got a second apartment there.
    My parents went grey and bald telling me to "focus" and "pay attention to what you're doing".
    I also have issues in social settings. I have a really tough time looking people in the eye, for instance.

What do I have? No idea. Never got diagnosed with anything. Ends up I just had to do a lot of adapting. Learning how to spend time in fantasyland without running into issues here in reality, so I can now function in both simultaneously. (I in fact am discussing social and economic theory with a minotaur and a dragon as I type this.) Finding tricks to remember what was being said, and not forgetting (as often) where I left my keys or jacket. And discovering ways to allow me to interact with others without getting too far out of my comfort zone. (I often talk to people while looking at them from the corner of my eye...and tell them to expect that.)

This isn't to wave away schizophrenia or ADD or Asperger's or any other syndrome. And it's not to look down on those who need medication to deal with any of those. I was on anti-depressants for a while, and they did precisely what they were supposed to. But often times, I feel, the symptoms are such that a person CAN adapt without the medication, or even the diagnosis. Again, I'm not saying that everybody should...or that those who are unable to are "doing it wrong" or "weak" or any other adjective you want to throw out there.

Similar story. When I was ten or eleven, my parents had some tests run on me because I had what are now politely called "spatial relationship issues". (Back then, it just meant I was a klutz, and walked into walls and stuff.) The tests revealed mild inner ear issues, modest hand-eye coordination problems, and whatnot. Nothing major, but they suggested why I wasn't as sure on my feet as most of my peers. My parents asked about treatment. To which the doctors said, "Well, we could do some work and retrain him. But it would mean him unlearning everything he's built up over the past ten years. He's learned to adapt pretty well considering the problems, and so it makes more sense to let him continue adapting." I may still bump my shoulder on door frames, but I still think that was the right move.

Lex

9. Aya McCabre

There are so many things with so many overlapping symptoms, and all of them have a symptom of severity (I hate that I was diagnosed with ADHD because I feel that it pathologises something that didn't need to be treated that way. I refuse to be treated or labeled that way), so there's not a lot of mileage in diagnosing yourself. If you're worried, go and talk to someone who has the knowledge and the experience to differentiate between them.

10. Fox1991

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No its no med diesease. This is what I did I typed in everything. I sleepiness, paranoia, inablithy to focus and all the bullshit. And that came up which mind you would not surprise me if I did. But after I read about schizo. I then procedded to research why was my medication helpful. Well not helpful for the depression, as a matter of fact made it harder to out of my depression. But I might make an appointment because Im really tired of feeling crazy.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2011 at 08:06 AM ----------

And I really cant be social with other people. Like I cant stand being around people for some reason. I dont like being touched, talking, or meeting new people

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2011 at 08:10 AM ----------

Oh and this has been going on since my abuse father walked out on my mother and I at the age of 6.

11. person54

"And I really cant be social with other people. Like I cant stand being around people for some reason. I dont like being touched, talking, or meeting new people." That was almost exactly how I felt (due to traumatic events as well) before I finally got into counseling.

With or without any kind of medication used to treat mental illness I'd urge you to seek therapy if you think the abuse is impacting your life. It's not easy but it really can help with the issues you mentioned and gaining relief from those symptoms can be incredibly liberating.