1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staying in the closet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kellymporta, Nov 23, 2011.

1. kellymporta

I recently started a thread in which I asked if denial was better for me since I'm planning on staying closeted for my entire life. However, some of the replies made me realize that going back into denial is not a long term option. As they said, eventually I will end up feeling the same way I'm feeling right now.

So my new question would be, how can I stay in the closet without going insane (now that I know I'm not straight)?

2. Chandra

I went back and read your other thread, and I'm afraid I'm going to be a little bit harsh with you. Apologies in advance. So here goes...

What you're basically asking is, "How can I live the rest of my life lying to everybody around me and hiding who I really am, without letting it affect me emotionally in any significant way?"

The answer to that question, bluntly, is: You can't. You can't have it both ways.

Whether you are able to accept it now or not, there will come a point where you will have to choose. The choice will be between the pain of coming out and possibly losing people close to you, and the pain of holding your truth hostage inside yourself forever.

You are clearly not ready to come out right now, and there is nothing wrong with that. You have a long way to go towards accepting yourself and being confident in who you are before you will be ready to do that. But you must understand that staying in the closet will never be comfortable or easy. That's why people do come out despite threats, ridicule, danger of violence, rejection, disgust, anger, hatred... they come out anyway, because they reach a point where it is worse to hide than to face their fear.

I hope you are able to find your way. (*hug*)

3. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to second Chandras post,the closet is a very unhealthy place to be on a long term basis.

It would be a great move forward for you if you could change your mindset and accept that you are not ready to come out yet,but you are willing to work on it for the future.Positive thinking is far healthier than your negative thoughts about"never" coming out.Just remember to give a few thoughts to your own health,needs,mental health etc before making such drastic decisions.

As you become more comfortable with who you are and maybe meet some more gay people you may see things from a very differant perspective,so at least keep an open mind.

Good luck

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll start by seconding everything Chandra said - staying in the closet is perpetually crazy-inducing, there's no such thing as a calm closeted life - but I also recognize that you're not comfortable living any sort of "out" life right now. So a few thoughts on how to deal with this in the short term:

1) I would recommend seeing a counselor if at all possible. You don't need to tell anyone why, and they're obligated not to share patient information with anyone, so it would be a good place to find a release that will help you cope with the stress of a closeted life. Just be upfront with them at the beginning - you're not interested in coming out, you're just here to deal with the stress of your situation, and they'll engage you in that. If they pressure you and make you feel uncomfortable, find a different counselor.

2) If you can find someone to tell elsewhere in life - a friend or whatever - I highly suggest you do so. Anyone you can trust and be able to talk to will be, again, a huge relief. Think about pressure cookers - they have a valve to release the steam that builds up inside. You'll need one too.

3) Don't feel like this should cut you off from other gay (or bi or whatever) people. Stay in contact as much as you can - keep posting on here, read books about being in the closet (fiction or non-fiction, whatever floats your boat - I can suggest a few if you like). And don't feel like you can't meet other gay men and even date or something - not that dating in the closet is easy, quite the contrary - but you should know that there are other people out there in exactly your situation. Go find them.

4) Never forget that, while you can't do anything about being gay (as you've learned), living in the closet is a choice you are making. The longer you stay in the closet, the more resentful you're going to become of people who are not closeted or straight or otherwise living an open life. So just remember not to be angry at them for it, or resent them for it - you are the one choosing to give that up for the foreseeable future. If need be, wear something - a ring, a wrist band, an ankle bracelet, whatever - to remind yourself.

So, again - not disagreeing with anything said above. Make no mistake, this is going to be hard on you, much harder than coming out would eventually be. But, as some short term (emphasizing the short term here) approaches, these might help make things a little easier on you.

If nothing else, I'm happy for you that you're coming to terms with not being straight. Honesty with yourself is a great place to start, no matter what.

#4 Gravity, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't go into detail here, but it looks like you're looking at two options - denial and closet. And I'm assuming you're not selecting the third option - being out - because you live somewhere where that isn't much of an option. My knowledge of South American attitudes towards sexuality are minimal, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out there are places where it isn't welcome. Given this, the wise move is to start looking at places where it IS welcome, or at least tolerated. That may be quite a distance, and you might be afraid of making such a leap, but I can guarantee you'll be happier in the long run...

Lex

6. kellymporta

Regarding to your suggestions here are my thoughts.

1) I really don't like the idea of going to a counselor, and I don't think they are actually useful. I don't like the idea because I can't imagine telling a stranger face to face that I'm gay. I also don't believe in counselors because of my previous experiences with them.

2) Actually, I think that EC is filling the role of the valve right now.

3) Right now I'm not very comfortable around gay people because I suspect they have better gaydars. Ironically, I go to the "gayest" gym in town due to its flexible schedule, but that doesn't count since I go to the gym exclusively to exercise.

4) I'm not resentful of openly gay people. I actually feel good when I hear stories about gay families, who are just as normal as any other family.

Here in South America homosexuality is negatively viewed because most countries are mostly catholic. In my country, catholicism still has a large influence over the government. Here gay marriage is negatively viewed, and the few people that tolerate the idea are completely against gay couples adopting children. On the positive side, homosexuality is not illegal here.

Right now I'm living in the most gay friendly part of my city, so being out of the closet is an option in this regard.

7. Jim1454

Then for the time being, hang out here in EC. We're a pretty good bunch.

However, you're not going to find much support for trying to deny your orientation here in EC. Many of us have suffered the consequences of doing just that, and most of us would wish that we had come to terms with our orientation sooner, not later, than we did.

With respect to counselling, you had a bad experience and I had a great one. I credit my counsellor with saving my life, because that's how hopeless I was feeling when I started seeing him.

Most of us will also say that our experience in being out of the closet has been better than we thought it was going to be. That might be your experience as well. However, many of us live in cultures that are more accepting than the culture that you're living in - so this is certainly something that you need to decide for yourself.

I'd just suggest that you don't make decisions now related to the rest of your life. 'Never' coming out is different from not coming out right now.

8. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if you have EC, then that's something at least. :slight_smile:

And yeah, as far as counseling - personally, I had a good experience, but I understand having a bad one and not wanting to go back. Just keep in mind that it can vary widely depending on which counselor you see. Maybe you can keep it as a fall-back option or something.

Though, if you're living in the most gay friendly part of your city, there must be someone around who will understand your situation, especially if it's culturally based. And don't worry, they don't automatically have better gaydars. I'm legendary for having the worst gaydar in the world. :lol:

9. kellymporta

The problem with counselors is not so much that I had bad experiences, it is more a problem about how useful they are. I mean, when I was little my parents took me to several counselors and all that I can remember is just playing board games with the counselor. Unless I was mentally challenged, playing board games is not useful in any way. When I was a bit older, my parents took me to another counselor due to my poor performance in school. The experience with that counselor was that I would talk with him for an hour and he would try to advice me in some way. However, at the end nothing changed about me. Despite all the sessions with him, I still didn't bother to improve my grades.

Finally, no matter how bad your gaydar is, it will still signal an alert if there is a guy checking out another guy. And although I try to avoid checking out guys, doing that at the gym is very difficult when most guys there are fit and you are so exhausted to actually care about being discreet.

10. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, this made me laugh - I had a counselor when I was a kid, too, and they did the exact same thing (board games). I just played chess with this guy for session after session. Weird thing is, he won every time. I don't know if that was part of the therapy or what...? :lol:

But anyways, the counselor I went to last year was nothing like that. We actually talked about my situation and things I could do to improve my approach to it. Virtually no "advice" was given in any way, it was more, "ok, so this is what you want to do in this situation, so here's the healthiest way to go about it for yourself." Yeah, she let me know when I was totally off base, but I was never put off by it, even though I had the same reservations it sounds like you do.

So, why do you go to the gym if you're afraid of being caught checking someone out? Besides, wouldn't it be good for another gay man to know you're gay?

And no, my gaydar still might not go off. It really is bad in a legendary way.

11. kellymporta

Actually I won every time we played chess, which is weird since I suck at chess so much.:lol:

I go to the gym because it's more convenient than exercising at a park. The gym is closer to my home, is safe to train at night, bad weather is not a problem, and running on a treadmill is easier than running at a park (and I can monitor my performance on the treadmill). Finally, although I'm way deep in the closet and guys at the gym are very hot, if I had to choose I would prefer meeting gay people in another environment (like college for example).

:lol: In a legendary way? I can only wonder what kind of awkward situations could have occurred to you because of a bad gaydar.:rolle:

Finally, interesting quote you have there. Just noticed it today: "If you didn't think it would hurt your reputation, what would you choose?"

If it didn't hurt my reputation, I would already be trying to get myself a nice boyfriend.

12. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, at least that makes sense from a therapy perspective. I kept waiting for my counselor to start throwing games or something as some kind of self-empowerment tool, but no, he just kept grinding me into the metaphorical dirt of the chessboard. :lol:

I just mean, if you're really that nervous about being "spotted," strange that you would keep going somewhere where you know you're going to be checking out guys, and which is known for being the "gayest" gym in the area.

Question - if you did get noticed, and they were fine with you and assured you they wouldn't out you to anyone, how would you feel about it?

Fortunately I realized it was terrible very early on. It got hard to deny how bad it was when I noticed that I just thought everyone of a certain body type and appearance was gay. :lol: It's gotten a little better - I mean I'll notice if someone's super obvious about it, and I've had a moment or two when I pegged someone just off a picture, but again, nobody who wasn't already out and proud, so to speak.

Good that you're aware of it at least :slight_smile: It'll happen someday. Who knows - maybe somebody's already been checking YOU out, and thinking, "if only he were into guys"!

13. kellymporta

:roflmao: Well, I just hope you didn't suffer the "classic" checkmate in four moves. I actually suffered that humiliation playing against a friend from school.:eusa_doh:

But what am I supposed to do? Going to the gym is more convenient than going to the park. Also, who cares if I go the gayest gym in town, I don't look stereotypically gay in any way.

I'm not sure. I guess I wouldn't mind, but as I said in other threads, right now I would be destroyed if my family or friends found out I'm gay.

14. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

Do you have a lot of girl friends? It's so much easier to tell a female. You don't have to tell everyone, but starting out small and telling just one person (that you trust and feel comfortable with) will help out a lot. That's how I kind of came out to my friends, I told a very close girl friend and she didn't care at all and she kept it a secret until I was comfortable telling the rest of my friends. But, my family.. that's a whole other story.

15. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, thankfully that never happened to me. :lol:

Fair enough. I guess that counts for something.

Continued (*hug*)

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You had well-meaning but inept therapists.

The default that many therapists working with children and teens is to "reach them on their level" by playing games. Done correctly, it builds rapport so the therapist can slowly go deep with their clients and delve into the issues that are causing problems. But it's also easy for a lazy therapist to just keep doing the simple stuff and never do the deeper work.

You're presumably a bit older now so your therapy will be very different than it was. You may still have to shop around a bit to find a good therapist, but as Jim and others have told you, a good therapist can be amazing at helping you to accept yourself, to feel comfortable being gay, and to eventually be comfortable coming out and dealing with all of that. There are plenty of places in most every country in South America where there are clusters of gay men and women who thrive and live life to the fullest. It's just a matter of finding the right place.

And... you may not "look stereotypically gay" but I'm confident that if you spend time at a gym with gay people... you'll get noticed. Gaydar is real, and even the people who swear they aren't obvious can be picked out by people with good gaydar. So that's a good way to start meeting people. :slight_smile:

So no one's asking you to come out. Just to work on yourself, and loving yourself. That's the first step toward a happier life.

17. kellymporta

No, I have very few girl friends.:icon_sad: Also, my relationship with girl friends is not as close as with my guy friends. I think I probably talk only about college around my girl friends. However, even if I had lots of girl friends, right now coming out is still out of the question for me.

I'm still not sure that a therapist would help, also I think going to a therapist would hurt my self-esteem. I think it would make me feel weak having to look for a therapist.

I don't think so, I'm like a stealth plane. The only moment in which I could get noticed is while checking out another guy at the gym, and this only occurs when I'm completely exhausted. So who knows, maybe I can still pass as a false signal in the few gaydars that catch me.:lol: