1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving. New school, New people.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gleeko0, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey EC ...i need some advice again.

I never stood more than 3 years in the same City or School, its something i'm used to, but this time i know my sexuality. Today i have supportive friends, and i'm out to everyone, but soon i will lose that, sure i will miss this a lot but i feel like i can sustain my problems related to sexuality without this kind of support now, i've got a lot stronger theses years, i feel like i'm Free from all that sexuality Taboo. But this might also be bad for me, since now i don't fear anything, i'm basically like "If you like the who i am, Ok lets be friends, if you don't then just leave me alone, i don't care.", but taking in consideration i don't have support from my family and they reject my sexual orientation, i guess i should at least make a good approach to my new class mates so i won't have any problems outside home, the ignorance of my family is enough for me already.

I will be moving to a pretty rural place, where i don't know what to expect, its not like extremely far from the big cities but...yeah, its a rural place. I'm expecting people to be less acceptive than where i am currently, i think there are 2 main ways of showing people who you really is, one is analyze how they will potentially take the news, waiting to the right time to come out, and the other is go and nose dive into it and say it right way and be like introducing yourself already as who you are. If i try the second way, i won't mind if i get ignored completely, if these people are not acceptive then i am not interested in their friendships, but i still have a little bit of concern about that. What should i do then?

2. Jim1454

I think you're probably right - that the farther you are from an urban center the less acceptance you might find. So you might not have as positive or supportive a group of friends as you have today. But you never know! So try not to worry about it.

In terms of meeting new people, I'm not sure that it's necessary for you to 'come out' to them immediate - in your first interaction. I think you should get to know them - and let them get to know you - before your provide them with something on which to judge you (as some people will judge you based on the fact that you're gay). But at the same time, I wouldn't lie about it either. It's just that in the first conversation you have with someone you don't usually talk about your orientation.

3. geordie94

I changed schools 4 times in the last 3 years n I got tired of trying to fit in by pretending I'm someone I'm not.

At my current school I didn't stand in front of class n declared my sexuality.. but I did not hide it either.

Still.. you should think of being safe first of all.. don't do anything that will put you in danger