1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School problems

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by godfather, Dec 13, 2007.

1. godfather

godfather Guest

ok so, i was going to try and come out to some of my mates today but a boy in my year who has already come out came in with a handbag so everyone started to bully him. Im quite good friends with him so i stuck up for him and then everyone was like ' your gay to then' and it ruined my whole plan:eusa_doh: the best i could think of is responding with what if i was?:confused:

cheers
    alex

2. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Handbag?? for real??

Or was it a 'man bag'??

Well done for sticking up for your friend though Alex, whilst it may be hard for you now. It will get easier.

3. godfather

godfather Guest

no i would like to clarify it was a handbag

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Urmm

Now this may seem a tad harsh, but in todays society wouldn't it be a tiny bit obvious that your going to be bullied if you bring a hand bag into school....

But still, doesnt excuse bullies... well done for standing up for him, that takes guts. The people sound immature at your school "oh you must be gay too"... very interesting logic. Things like this make me glad i live in Oxford.

5. Jim1454

Good for sticking up for him. Doesn't sound like a bunch of people I'd bother coming out to - to be honest. And when you do, don't be holding a handback.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I bet it meant alot to your friend when you stood up for him.

7. waitingsucks

Well the thing was that it hasn't entirely ruined a future coming out because, u didn't really come out to them, people say stuff like "what if I was" more comonly than u'd think, straight guys. btw

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If they bashed this kid, you might want to reconsider coming out to them. However, if you are good friends with them, your coming out might change their opinion on gay people. Think about it ahead of time. It's worth a shot, and it worked for me once.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would get a cool handbag, put a brick in it, and then if anyone makes a fuss, swing it at their stupid heads!

Oh, wait, right... real world, killing people with handbags bad idea. Damn. It sounds cool though, yes?

That is incredibly awesome that you stood up for your friend. I mean yeah it is predictable that if a guy comes to school with a handbag, he's going to get flack, but I think we need to step back and be like, "But does that make it okay?" I mean, most people who come out are going to get some flack from some set of people they know but we don't generally advocate people not coming out forever and ever because they might get flack for it. And seriously, one would think a guy with a handbag was a lot less of a big deal than someone telling you they were gay. In both cases, though, it's not like being gay or having a handbag should really be cause for concern. Unless you do have a brick in the handbag and a penchant for using it. *grin*