1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it bad that this doesn't bother me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mlpguy88, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This might have something to do with the fact that I am a closet case, but is it bad that homophobic slurs don't bother me? My brother in law is a bit of a gay basher, and I don't get offended by the things he says. Earlier we were kind of ruff housing with each other, and at one point I had him pinned down in a, I guess you could say a awkward way, and he said "If you were s faggot this would be really bad" It's kind of mean saying that about him because he really is a nice guy, his family is just super religious, I mean his grandmother wears a cape to church kind of religious, so it's not really his fault. But I have never been upset by any homophobic slur I have hears from anyone, Do you thin that this is a bad thing?

2. NeecoVirus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nope, not weird at all. I think you are just desensitized from it because there are so many people who use homophobic slurs... or it could be due to the context in which they are used. I'm not super super bothered anymore by people using "that's so gay..." do describe lame things. I know they're joking, they're ignorant, and mostly, i'm desensitized...

3. Mister E

Two friends of mine (that don't know about me) alway call be "faggot" and the like. I call them it back. I'm desensitized to slurs because I've used them since long before I knew I wasn't straight.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It's not really a bad thing but it isn't something you should openly call other people on a really consistent basis, obviously. You might not be sensitive to it but other people are and all of us have to respect that. At parties and stuff I hear idiots call each other gay slurs all the time and it doesn't bother me, unless they say it to a gay person and then it really does upset me.

On another note though, the word "faggot" in itself is evolving beyond what it was. It isn't necessarily a gay slur anymore, in my opinion. It's like that scene from 8-Mile where Eminem is rapping and he comes to the defense of a gay guy getting bashed during one of the rap battles outside the factory and he says; "He's gay, and you're the faggot" to the guy he's battling. Something to think about...

5. Fiddledeedee

It doesn't bother me, but I don't use slurs and will sometimes call others out because I know there are people that they do bother. At school, if someone calls something "gay" then depending on the context, I will ignore it or wonder aloud how, say, an inanimate object can be homosexual. "Faggot" is one that I don't hear so often, and I haven't yet worked out a way to call people out on using it while keeping the atmosphere light.

This is just for in general conversation, naturally. If someone is insulting someone else with intent to hurt using anything, homophobic or not, I will be "bothered" by it and tell the person so.