1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locker rooms at new school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Wolfy

So, I started at a new school, which I don't know anyone and they don't know me. IRS a career center and I'm there for 4 hours a day and then go to my school the rest of the day.

I'm in Food Services, and I'm Transsexual. I've only been there for 2 days and I'm known as a guy there. In my class, there are lockers to put your stuff in. I put my stuff in the guys locker room and this caused a commotion with the principle. He says I'm not allowed in there or in the 'gang' bathrooms. I was never planning on using the bathrooms...but the locker rooms is what frustrates me. He says that...since it's a locker room guys have the right to undress. If they were to find out about me it would be a problem. The locker room is a small room/hallway about 10-15 feet in with about 20 lockers. No bathrooms or any area to change in. The door has a window on it, and I'm not allowed in there because the guys could feel uncomfortable if they were to get dressed. Which, you don't even get dressed in this class. You just put an apron on...and it's causing such a fuss.

I don't want to leave the school, but it's putting stress on me because I'll feel odd not having my stuff in class and it's in the nurses or something. Is it against the law to not allow a transkid the right to use their preferred locker room and or bathroom? You don't even get dressed in there...there's no reason too and it's made me extremely upset the past couple of days.

I feel like they're saying this. "because you're gay, the other kids might feel uncomfortable if you're in the same locker room/bathroom as them."
    But I'm transsexual. I feel very discriminated.

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't think it's against the law because legally you are still a girl; but that still doesn't make it right. I know how hard it is to be forced into things by your assigned gender roll.

Don't let it get to you though, it isn't because you're gay. It's because laws are still backwards and haven't caught up with the times yet. It sucks but all we can do is hope that it will get better.

(*hug*)

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what state you're in. I believe a few progressive states have protections for trans kids in schools. You might check with the GSA national office in San Francisco and see what info they have; I know they are concerned about, and on the pulse of, such issues.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Random question. How does the principal feel about you using the women's locker room? Not that I think you'd want to use it, nor do I think you should. But does the think the girls wouldn't be weirded out sharing the locker room with somebody who identifies (and lives) as male?

Lex

5. Wolfy

He said he'd prefer I used the womens, yes.

6. knight of ni

I think that Chip's advice is very sensible; find out what the law is in your area. If there are trans protections in place where you live, then that should be the end of it. If not, then things might be tougher.
    Either way, I'd suggest talking to your mum about it, and figuring out what you want to do.
    Best of luck!

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might try appealing a step higher. Find out who your principal reports to, and see if you can arrange a meeting with him or her. I wouldn't posit this as an antagonistic thing ("My principal is against trans people") so much as a case of him not understanding ("I identify as male, I live as male, and I feel it makes sense for me to use the men's locker room, especially since I won't be using it for anything other than to store my things").

Lex