1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questioning...still

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justmeg, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justmeg

ok. not sure where to start...i guess the beginning? bear with me...

about 3 years ago, i started really questioning my sexuality. i had never given it much thought until i met a friend of a friend in high school (all girls catholic high school. i knew a handful of lesbians and the student body were generally very accepting of them) we clicked instantly and got along really well. at first, i was totally fine just being friends, but then i started to develop feelings for her; she was funny, smart, and absolutely gorgeous. i shrugged off any notion of us being together because i wasn't sure what she was feeling, but there came a point where we just kind of brought it up and i found out the feelings were mutual. from there we became a couple, telling only a few people (even though there were rumors all around school, we weren't really open about it.)

i tried to talk to my parents about it only to discover that they were not as accepting as i thought they might be. there ended up being a lot of fighting between them because of this relationship. over the span of about a year and a half or so, this girl and i really tried to make it work despite the hard time i was having at home with my parents and her reacting badly when i told her about what was happening at home. we ended up splitting just before we graduated from high school and tried to stay friends (it hasn't worked out as well as i had hoped, but we're still on civil terms, i suppose.)

anyway, that was about 1.5-2 years ago. i tried to kind of just forget about my sexuality seeing as it really took a toll on my home life. i figured it would just be easier to not mention anything to my parents about my love life in general. it was a tough time because the backlash at home made me feel bad for liking a girl as more than a friend. it caused a lot of strife for the whole family, and for that i felt really bad. i struggled with the thought identifying as lesbian of coming out and kept putting it off, hiding any feelings. and it was fine for a while. but now i'm really starting to struggle with it again. i dated a guy this past summer but didn't really feel the whole relationship thing with him. one of my best friends, who is openly lesbian, is really the only one i ever talk to about it and she swears up and down that i'm in denial of my sexuality and that i just need to come out already.

it could just be my indecisiveness, but i don't know if i'm ready to make such a definitive statement about myself. i'm only 20yrs old and still learning who i am and what i want, etc. i still don't even know for sure if i am lesbian or bisexual, of if that relationship was just a phase/experiment. it's not something that consumes my thoughts all the time, but it's a constant nagging in the back of my mind, something that i tend to think about often, but not too often.

i haven't ever brought it up to the friends i have in college, and there are really only a handful of friends from high school who either know or have had suspicions about it, but i really don't like to bring it up. it's not necessarily that i'm uncomfortable with the topic, it's just that once i get talking about it, it's all i'll want to talk about and don't want to make them uncomfortable.

i don't really know what i'm trying to ask here, it's more of a venting of some thoughts and feelings. i know a lot of people struggle with this during their teens/early 20s (and hell, even beyond that), and i guess i'm just looking for someone to talk to about it, someone who might be in the same place i'm in.

thoughts and advice are certainly encouraged, feel free to message me as well :slight_smile:

2. Silver Sparrow

Hey Meg,
    I know I am quite a bit younger than you, but I think we are in about the same place.
    Feel free to talk to me, or any other EC member!

3. throw

Hey there :slight_smile:

I'm kind of in the same place you are, except I have no previous relationship experience. I really want to put a label on myself, but I'm terrified that if I rush to come out as something before I really know, I'll end up having to take it back later. I'm trying not to let it consume my thoughts, but it often does.

So, maybe it's important to focus less on your label and more on what you want. Take a lot of time and really think about what would make YOU happy. And make sure you put the emphasis on YOU because it is not your responsibility to make your parents happy. I know you feel like you caused problems for your family, but you can't let them decide how you're going to live your life. Your parents have their expectations for you, but you are your own person.

So yeah, that's what I'm trying to do now. I'm trying really hard to let it be what it is and not obsess over it. Hopefully the answers will come someday, but until then, I think it's best not to force it. It causes a lot of unnecessary anxiety!

4. justmeg

throw - my thoughts exactly! i want to be able to be confident and comfortable, but at the same time i kind of feel that it's really just between me and who i choose to intimate with. i try to just go with the flow and just kind of take things as they come rather than defining myself. i know that my parents would eventually learn to accept whatever i choose, but it was just really tough to see them fighting so much over something that had nothing to do with them. i actually ended up walking out on them on more than one occasion. but that's besides the point. it's cooled down and things are pretty much how they were before all this was brought up.

i appreciate your advice though. i try to not think about too much because it really does cause a lot of unnecessary stress (which i reaaalllly don't need on top of schoolwork and everything...) feel free to message me if you ever want to talk about this more :slight_smile: it's good to have someone who kinda knows what you're going through

5. Chandra

There are really two separate issues here - the issue of how you want to identify yourself, and the issue of how to deal with your family. They are related, but I think you might find it helpful to separate them a bit.

Start by working on your self-identity. From the experiences you describe, it seems pretty clear to me that you are, at the very least, not entirely straight. Whether you are heteroflexible, bisexual, gay, or elsewhere along the Kinsey scale is up to you to figure out. You may be the kind of person who feels strongly like you want to identify with a particular label, or you may be the kind of person who can be happy simply saying that you fall in love with whoever you fall in love with and labels don't matter. That is also up to you to figure out. Think about your feelings - who do you feel most attracted to? Who do you fantasize about? Who do you have romantic feelings for? The answers might give you some clues. The answers might also fluctuate over time, and that's okay too.

Now, the question of how to deal with your family. You might be tempted to think that, now that things seem to have smoothed out, it's best just to leave the subject alone unless another situation comes along where you feel you should bring it up again. But I'd like you to think about a couple of things. First, the reason things have smoothed out for now is probably that your parents believe (because they want to believe) that what you went through with that girl was just a phase, and now you're straight again and everything is back to nice and normal. Second, think about how the stress with coming out to your family had such a bad effect on your relationship. Now put them together - if you choose not to push this issue with your family now, and at some point in the future you meet another wonderful girl, what's going to happen? Possibly the same pattern will repeat itself.

Basically, it boils down to this - you are who you are, and you can either hide that from your family until you're forced to reveal it again, or you can start to work on trying to open their minds about it. By all means, take the time to figure yourself out first and become more comfortable and confident in your identity - but eventually, I think it's a good idea to think about confronting this issue with your family before you find yourself in another same-sex relationship. And remember that parents often have to go through a whole series of emotions before they're ready to accept that their child is not straight - these emotions can run the gamut from denial to sadness, blame, anger, etc. But in many cases parents will eventually come around and realize that their job is to love and support their children no matter what.

Just a note on messaging, by the way - Regular Members can only send and receive PMs from staff. You will be able to exchange messages with other Full Members only once you've met the criteria for Full Member status and the staff has approved your application.

6. justmeg

chandra, thanks for the advice. i try to avoid labels and just love who i want to love but not identifying as anything is a little unnerving, i guess? i dunno, it just makes me feel like i'm just out there not really knowing what's going on. your answer's given me a lot to think about, and i appreciate it muchly! as for bringing the topic up with my parents again, i'll have to think about that one - definitely not till i'm more comfortable. but like i said, i've got some thinking to do. (i feel like i've kind of ignored any attraction i might have felt toward girls so as to not freak people out or anything up until lately...so i'm trying to just figure some stuff out)

7. lightnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think that once you have been through something like that then there isnt really a way of going back. You have had a strong relationship with a girl and it doesnt feel the same way with a guy. If it is nagging in the back of your mind constantly you really should assess those feelings. It sounds to me as if you are not entirely straight but obviously i cannot tell you whether or not you are a lesbian or not. I myself have issues with my own identity and are in a similar predicament to you so i cant really tell you what to do as i have not figured that out yet myself. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and that things always get better :slight_smile: hopefully we will both figure out what to do at some point. If I think of anything else or my situation advances I will make sure to tell you about it as it may help you on your journey of self discovery. message me if you have any advice?

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread is from 2011. Let's let it rest in peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.