1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting a new Guy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justindee13, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Justindee13

So I found this guy that's a couple years older, and I am meeting up with him at a local Starbucks for some coffee. My friends keep yelling at me to branch out and now I am and I am very happy. But at the same time I am worried, like what do I talk about, and stuff. We have talked but mostly about work and how was your day today, oh that kools, I didn't do anything, etc. Any suggestions on interesting topics.

2. Sunandmoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Start talking about things that interest you and find something you guys have in common. Things like tv shows, movies, music, video games, etc. are really good things to start with.

3. Aielar

Pets, Music, Work, Interests, Sports, Hobbies, etc I suppose :slight_smile:

4. Doctor Faustus

Hobbies and interests are always good conversation topics. Embarrassing childhood memories. Plans for the future. Books you enjoy reading. (Heck, that "Get to know EC'ers!" thread should give you plenty of ideas!)

Ask what kinds of films he likes. Then you could arrange to do something at the cinema instead of simply coffee... if you're willing to do that. But you set the pace of course. :slight_smile:

Make sure it's not a one-way conversation! If nothing else, get him to ask you something! xD

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Each other is a good topic. Whenever I'm in a group of friends, and the conversation lags, sometimes we'll pull out one of the "conversation starter" questions.

"What was your favorite toy when you were a kid?"
    "What was the worst movie you've ever seen?"
    "What would be your dream vacation?"
    "If you could create your ideal meal, what would it be?"

Lightweight topics that still require a bit of brainpower, and require more talking than just "yes" or "no".

Better yet, maybe you should try meeting somewhere besides for coffee. Meet at a museum and wander through the exhibits, or meet at a mall and wander through that. The things you see provide new topics for conversation.

Lex

6. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

It's okay to be nervous. It's a first date I'm assuming. He's probably feeling the same way.

7. Billsive

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well,

I'll start by saying that I had my first date EVER with a guy this evening. We both met at Subway and just talked for an hour+ (only leaving after they told us they were closing). Then we left and just sat in my car in the parking lot just talking for another two hours. In my mind I expected it to be so different but I could not imagine the night going any another way.

Now I am no expert in the issue being my first but it does not necessarily have to be something complex, it can be simple.

Something that seemed to break the ice was that we both talked about school (we went to the same high school, different years though). Work came up and our interests. Now I was nervous beyond belief when we walked in. I guess you could say he started everything but one suggestion would be to answer questions with more then a yes or no. I started answering questions with yes and no and when I finally became more comfortable it made the conversations far more interesting (for both parties) not to mention when you are explaining something you usually find something else to talk about.

Just my two cents and I wish you the best of luck.

:icon_bigg

8. Mr.Pushover

Ask about him, people love to talk about themselves. :slight_smile: