1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay marriage is wrong

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by omgnoway, Nov 26, 2011.

1. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

I find gay marriage wrong but I'm gay. Or perhaps I cannot see myself at all married to a man and spending the rest of my life with him. I just think it's weird and wrong. So I have this fear of being lonely and without a family as I get older. Or just a bachelor. What should I do?

2. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

Wait what? your gay but no gay marriage? this is trolling?

3. Zontar

I think you should probably sort out all that cognitive dissonance and re-think your position on this issue.

How 'bout we start here...if society didn't give a shit about gays in the first place, would you still not want to spend your life together with the man you love?

If the answer's "no", you should probably learn to tell the difference between what is actually right and what society merely thinks is wrong.

4. J Snow

Could you perhaps explain logically what makes you feel that gay marriage is immoral?

5. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

I'm not saying gay marriage is wrong for everyone. I don't care if other people get married. But I just think gay marriage is wrong for me. Do you get what i'm saying? Like I can't see myself at all married to another man and having kids with him. I just can't. I just think it's kind of wrong. I think it's immoral because a man and a woman are able to have kids while man/man or woman/woman cannot without other "help". One of the comments this kid at my school said to me was a man is like a plug and a woman is the outlet. They go together. I know that's kind of cheesy.. but isn't it kind of true? That's why I think that marriage is not meant to be between gays.

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2011 at 11:11 PM ----------

I don't think I can. I'm catholic so I don't really know. I just believe a man and a woman is right because they can multiply.

#5 omgnoway, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
  6. Mogget

You don't have to be married to someone to be in a long-term, committed relationship.

7. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

Relationships are fine.. but i'm talking about raising a family, being parents, etc. I just don't know about that.

8. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

I don't want to bash you or sound rude but gay people are people who like the same sex not crazed axe murderers

9. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

Okay I'll try to make this clear. I think gay marriage is just wrong for ME. I don't want this to imply to all gay people out there. I'm gay too. I just feel like I can't do it.. get married to man have a family raise kids with him. There's something not right about it.

10. J Snow

Well, this is coming from another person who, well, was at least one time a very strong Catholic. I went to thirteen years of Catholic school. I was very heavily taught that acting out on homosexual urges was a sin. However, I was never presented with one reason why that is the case. The best explanation I got was, "because homosexual couples cannot reproduce."

Well, let me let you in on a secret. We are quickly approaching our society's carrying capacity. We live in an overpopulated world. If you ask me, bringing new children in when you could adopt and take care of a child that is in need is the real sin.

Also, basically everything you've heard on homosexuality from Catholicism is likely based on misconceptions. Jesus never said one word about homosexuality being wrong. The few times homosexuality was referenced in the Old Testament, it was to establish the Jewish society's social norms. An abomination in that culture was something against society's norms, not an act that is inherently wrong. Not to mention in that time there was no such concept of a homosexual. They were contrasting themselves from the Greeks in which older men courted and had sex with young boys. The idea of someone who was exclusively homosexual would not have even occurred to them. Likely back in those days, someone who was homosexual had to have children to survive anyway.

So now that that's out of the way, I can occur you, there is nothing immoral about gay marriage. Maybe its for you, maybe its not. However, you should say its wrong because it doesn't appeal to you.

11. jargon

OK, to clarify, do you mean "wrong" in a moral sense or not. Marrying my friend jill is "wrong for me" because we happen to be friends and I don't tihnk of her that way, even though there'd be no moral problem with marrying her.

If you really meant that gay marriage just isn't your thing personally when you wrote the title, you have to admit that wording was grossly misleading, but I'm not really sure what you mean.

EDIT: ok you answered while I was typing... that was a very misleading title IMO haha. Well I'm sorry you feel that way if youre gay, I hope you come to terms with this. Maybe you need exposure to succesful long-term gay couples and parents who love each other raise happy well-adjusted children (because they DO exist, and in large numbers). Or perhaps its the old "catholic guilt" (I was raised catholic myself) and the stigma associated with being gay. Are you uncomfortable with homosexuality as a whole, or really just marriage specifically?

#11 jargon, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  12. J Snow

Also, its worth noting that some studies have shown that homosexual couple raise children better. Likely I think this has more to do with them having to work to obtain their children, whereas with heterosexual couples there is always the possibility of an "accident."

13. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

I chose that title because I knew it would be an eye catcher and to get people to look at my post. But i think it is wrong in a moral sense.

14. kellymporta

Are you sure that you think gay marriage is wrong? It seems that you're more into thinking that gay adoption is wrong. Maybe the problem is that you just don't like kids.

15. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

I'm not saying that homosexuality is a sin i'm saying gay marriage could be wrong, raising a family that sort of thing. But having sexual feelings towards men is okay.

16. Vesper

The modern definition of family is no longer restricted to "a nuclear family with a parent of each sex and their biological children". Thus, a gay couple with kids who are not biologically theirs is just as much of a family as a traditional family is today. Heck, there are so many existing children waiting for parents--gay couples and straight couples alike--to care for them and love them. Why make more? Gay couples have proven quite adept at raising healthy, well-adjusted children. It's less important today that you have biological children than it is that you raise your children right.

Another thing--what about straight couples that are infertile? What about couples who choose not to have kids? Just because a straight couple "should" be able to because they have the complementary "equipment" (the "plug" and "outlet" analogy) doesn't mean they can or will. What if the plug's broken, or bent, or the fuse for the outlet is blown?

#16 Vesper, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is an enormous difference between saying something is wrong for you, and saying something is wrong. Period.

Marriage is wrong for lots of straight people, too. So are children. Of course, you'll do what you want, and do nothing more than you are comfortable with or seems right at the time for you.

But when I've been with my same-sex partner for 25 years...far longer than most hetero couples these days manage, with no intent of breaking that relationship, and then I read (wherever by whomever) that "gay marriage is wrong," a small part of me starts to go absolutely crazy. When that sentiment is voiced by a member of the LGBT community, another small part of me just dies.

If you're asking "what should I do if I want a relationship but not marriage?" then ask that question. If you feel that "gay marriage is wrong," then by all means, say that (even though I'll be going nuts over here)...but be damned well prepared to be questioned sharply by those of us whom that statement hurts.

By the way, lots of men and women marry and don't "multiply". Is marriage wrong for them too? Also, there's been so much "multiplication" on this planet that we're bursting at the seams, and depleting our planetary resources at a rate that leads to long-term suffering of the entire race. If god directed us to "go forth and multiply", then wouldn't you say that's one directive of his that we can check off our list as done, and move on to the other directives...maybe such as loving one another?

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2011 at 11:34 PM ----------

Wow, I'm getting more confused as you explain yourself. So gay marriage isn't morally wrong for everybody, but it is morally wrong for you? How does that work?

18. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

Yes i'm sure. I mean just look at the world men and woman are meant to be together and they are able to have kids. Opposites attract. Sex is ultimately meant for a man/woman to procreate.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I look at the world and I see that about 10% of the population of every species engages in homosexual activity. That doesn't sound so unnatural to me.

I've already commented on the desirability of procreation...gay marriage helps the planet.

You say opposites attract...but they don't attract you, eh? Interesting rule.

Oh, why am I even getting myself involved in this nonsense?

20. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

my question or comment I should say is that I CANNOT see myself partnered with a man for the rest of my life. I'm afraid i'll be lonely and depressed again and not really have any reason to live and that i'll die early or lonely. If you guys can't help me with that then i'm sorry that I offended you all.

I'm not going to argue with so many people, i'm not here to do that. I just want advice. Please don't attack me on MY opinion. I should've posted this in anonymous.. people are going to hate me now.

#20 omgnoway, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011