1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speech topic? Help please

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

I just found out I have to pick a topic for my big end of the semester speech project and it's due tomorrow and I'm not sure what topic to do or even how I'm supposed to do this. I was thinking either homophobia or depression/suicide/self injury. It's an informative speech and I've never done one before so any advice would be much appreciated. This speech is worth 200 points :astonished:

2. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

I think you should do it about homophobia or other topic I like and maybe is good is autism.
    if you are going to talk about homophobia you can start by explaining what homosexuality is, after that, say what homophobia consits in and then you can focus on an especific group in society where this can be seen.

3. Doctor Faustus

How about this?

1. What homophobia is.
    2. What the experiences of homophobic people around the world have been.
    3. What's being done to tackle homophobia - and more importantly what MORE can be done.

How's that? :slight_smile:

4. Tiny Catastrophe

I like those ideas. Thanks guys. That was really helpful

5. Silver Sparrow

So, currently it sounds to me like you are going with homophobia.
    Are you allowed to add personal experience in, even though it is an informative speech? Because that will always make it more powerful...

6. Tiny Catastrophe

Well I'm not sure if I want to do that because I'm not out at school. I mean I'm out to my professor of that class and a few of my friends but no one in that class knows and I'm not sure if I want to share that.

7. Katelynn

If I may offer a bit more of advice, if homophobia is the topic you've chosen & your topic must be informative, why not consider also addressing transphobia as well. I can guarantee that very few of your audience wil have heard anything about it, plus it may just inform & reach a few more people as well. It would also be a truly LGBT speech & may even reach a few people who themselves are not only questioning their own sexuality but may be even questioning their gender. There are more trans people out there than I ever thought when I first came out. Even checking on amazon, there are quite a few books written by people about their own experiences, so you may just help out someone without even knowing it! Of course, it is your project, your topic & your grade, so do what is best for you, what you're most comfy with & Im sure you'll do just great!

As for not being out to the students in the class, do the speech from a clinical study/educational POV & perhaps that would be OK...