1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting up Conversations on online dating websites.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AS1989, Nov 27, 2011.

1. AS1989

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its always been a personal problem of mine... I'm just curious as to how others handle this situation. :icon_wink

2. Fluffster

Ask lots of questions and throw out a little info on yourself that isn't too personal? It is so annoying to be in contact with someone who has like on sentance questions and answers. You need more to go off of than that to get a convo going.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask some open-ended questions. "I like your profile, and I was really stoked to see you like sci-fi novels, because I really like them, too. Which ones are your favorites?"

Lex

4. femmegirl411

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Funny you should post this, I met my current girlfriend on an online dating site!

I'd have to say go with what everyone else has said, keep things on a not too personal level, and make sure to ask lots of questions and sound interested in that person!

5. SFSorrow

I never really know what to say either and so far have usually waited for people to message me first (which probably isn't the best method and I want to be more proactive), but I do know what kind of messages I prefer to receive.

I get quite a few messages that just say 'hi how are you?' which I suppose is OK, but it's difficult to know where to go with it, other than something like 'fine, you?', and those conversations usually dry up pretty quickly. So, echoing what everybody else has said, personalise it so that it sounds like you are actually interested in them specifically and you've read their profile and makes it easy for them to say something back that's going to get a conversation going where you're actually going to have a better chance of finding out what they're like.