1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone who is out to anybody, I need your advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mlpguy88, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to come out to my brother soon. We will see each other in mid December,and he will be leaving a couple days before New Years Eve, and odds are we won't be alone together very much and I really want to do this. What I want to know is what was your first coming out conversation, if it went good or bad I still would like to know, I won't have very many opportunities to do this and I just want some kind of guide line to go off of. Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, my first coming out was to a gay friend who I was hitting on, so I'm assuming that one doesn't count. :slight_smile: The next few were friends. I just talked about it in context. "I finally found somebody I'm interested in getting physical with. Ends up he only likes me as a friend, though."

You can try that approach, or you can tell him directly. "I've decided it's time I started telling people I was gay, and you're the first one I'm telling."

Lex

3. Daisy1

I first came out to my best friend. It was really emotional and we ended up talking for hours. If at all possible, I would do it in such a way that you won't be rushed. Perhaps you could go for a drive together or something?

A lot of people have gone with indicating in advance that you want to have an important conversation. That's a good approach if you really want to make sure you don't chicken out. If you're more on the fence, you might just start talking and see where the conversation takes you. It sounds like the former might be better for your situation, though.

Keep us posted.

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2011 at 09:19 PM ----------

Also, is there anyone in your life who you're confident will support you? I mean, you always have us EC folks, but it might be nice to have another friend to turn to in case it doesn't go well. Being prepared for the worst is always a good strategy. Just a thought.

4. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not at the point when I can confide in anyone else, I consider my brother to be my best friend, I trust him more than anyone and that says alot because I've had alot of bad things happen to me so I don't really trust very many people. I have known that I am gay since I was 12, I have kept this secret for almost a decade and I just can't do it anymore. I know he can keep a secret, we're brothers, we would lie to the police for each other if we had to. The problem is we live over 2,000 miles apart, and I have a small window of opportunity to tell him, but I really want to get this off my chest.

5. Ianthe

Make a point of planning in time to see him alone. Is there something the two of you always used to do together, that you could plan to do while he's in town?

You can ensure that you will have some time alone with him by setting it up in advance.