1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It Gets Better

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dudethere, Nov 27, 2011.

1. dudethere

Hey all!

I'm in a course for high school about Leadership and guidance to younger grades. One of our projects is to come up with a way to promote what the class is about and send a positive message.

Since I'm in the GSA as well I though for my project I would combine the two groups to make an it gets better video.

However, instead of souly touching on LGBT issues we are going to talk about ALL and ANY issue a teen growing up can face.

I'm super excited but my teacher wants me to make an outline/script idea for the students to work from. I wasn't sure how to create this exactly.

I want the students to have their own words for their own stories but I understand that having a starting point would make it easier.

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions of how to teach a class to make an it gets better video please feel free to post!

P.S. feel free to comment with tips or discussion ideas for the video too! :slight_smile:

2. splattered

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    For some reason I started crying when I clicked the get help thing. It burns.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe you could give each person a subject to talk about. Then, for the purposes of your script you could come up with a general answer to that section.

You then don't have to give them the word for word outline that you have written, you just give them the subject. I would also explain to you teacher that this video is not something you can come up with complete script to. You cannot pick out word for word what people are going to say.

4. Ianthe

Did you tell your teacher that the idea is that you want each person to speak genuinely, and not just recite something you've written for them?

You want each person to talk about their own personal struggles. If I were making a video like that, I would just give participants a general prompt about what you want them to talk about, and then I would figure out the structure of the overall video during the editing process, once I knew what kind of content I had.

Since it's an It Gets Better video, you probably want to ask for problems that have been overcome, so that your participants can talk about it getting better. I think the best you can probably do for an "outline" is to ask them to first talk about the problem, and how it got better, and then to finish with "So, if you are dealing with XXXXXX, I want you to know, it gets better."