1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been waiting too long....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DareToEatAPeach, Nov 28, 2011.

1. DareToEatAPeach

Okay so I've been waiting my entire life to be able to come out and finally experience a real relationship. I kept telling myself in high school, just be patient because when you get to university, you'll be able to have a boyfriend and life will be awesome. But it's not exactly working out that way....

My university, even though it has quite a large campus, has hardly any gay guys. The school itself is comprised of around 70% girls, so that doesn't leave all that many men, and then from those men, probably only 3% are gay. It's like a horrible game of "Where's Homosexual Waldo?".

I've already joined the LGBT group on campus, but I don't really connect with that group (it's extremely small as well). I've gone to a gay dance that was on campus, but only 30 people showed up, of which only 5 people were guys (including me). My patience is really running out....I need to experience what it's like to be with a man.

I'm not extremely upset or anything because I've made some amazing friends, but it just seems like I've spent every waking minute waiting for nothing to happen. So should I just hold off until someone finally appears? I'm sort of lost...

2. Rinamir Mortem

Join the club...I can't find many gay men in my University either. I think the reality of being a minority is starting to hit home a little. But still, there is always someone out there. You just have to persevere and expand your regular haunts and perhaps research into your local area. There is bound to be someone somewhere.

3. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

dont rush it. look there are more gays there and bis and scared to tri's . but the point is, they are not brave enough or interested enough to join up with the ranks of the lgbt events and communities because they are very worried about perception and being labeled as gay. so yes, there were only 5 guys at the party but that does not mean there are 5 guys at the school. maybe other will have some advice but my advice is this. SLOW DOWN. its not a rush. if you rush into something you may just go crazy and experiement phsyically and that could set you down a bad path. take your time. again maybe some other have some advice on how to meet gay men but here are some options:

1. lgbt on campus...you been tehre, done that and dont relate to those folks, so no need to keep going if you are not interested in it.

2. lbgt off campus, you may find some non college (same age guys) that are off campus if you live in a bigger metro area.

3. gay clubs: warning. you will meet all the gays here and you will feel like "finally, all gays in one place". you will meet many there. some hot, some ugly, some creepy, some nice, it's mixed. but these are very SEXUAL places and if you are already feeling like you just have to meet someone and try something, you may fall into the hookup trap. if you want a friendshp that may develop into a relationshp i would not suggest looking for that there.

4. online: filter the gays you want to meet online that have similar interests

5. gym: this is hard to do and dangerous because you coudl be wrong. a lot of gay guys like to work out and keep nice bodies so there are some here, but its almost like you have to be pyschic to figure out who is or who is not gay and if you're wrong and come on to the wrong person it coudl be very bad for you. only respond to someone who is obvisouly flirting with you and if they are doing that there's a 99.9 percent chance tthey just want to have sex with you. i do not suggest this at all.

6. friendships: this is my recommendation. just make friends with guys. it doesnt have to be about sex or being interested in them. that's all you need to focus on right now. most of these guys you make friends with will be straight. however, if you make some really good friends and you feel comfortable with coming out to them, who knows they may be able to hook u up with someone else they know is gay. girls are a great place to start with this because many girls have a "gay guy friend" because sometimes gay guys feel more comfortable telling girls first. so another girl could hook u up with someone that also may be in the same boat.

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2011 at 03:00 PM ----------

guys, remember college is really hard for people. they are trying to figure out who they are and they still want to fit into major main stream society as well. college is also a time when if you were a shy awkward virgin kinda guy in high school, now is the time to score with the chicks because mom and dad aren't telling you what to do. so you have a lot of factors that make it hard for gay guys to find other gay guys. its not impossible but i think many guys are probably making out behind closed dorm doors at when they are drunk but it's not something they are "out" about.