1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allegro Asks - "How Do I Get (and Keep) Guy Friends?"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bolin, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Bolin

...Yeah, basically what the title says. How do I get and keep male friends?

When I really think about it, most of my friends are girls. I find it easier to talk to women, I typically have more in common with them, and I can hold a conversation much longer with them. But it comes to a point where I get left out a lot. They usually have "Girls Night Out" dates, sleepovers, jewelry parties, etc., and I'm not really interested in that stuff. And normally, they don't like the more "guyish" or "masculine" things I like to do.

My best friend is actually male, but he lives thousands of miles away from me, so it's not like I can just call him up and be like "Hey, can I hang at your place for awhile?" I can count the number of male friends I have on one hand, and most of them hang out with girls like I do.

The problem I have with male friends is this: I have a hard time talking to guys since it's harder for me to relate to them. I sometimes also find myself developing feelings for them (or, worst case scenario, actually falling in love). And if not those two, it's just like the friendship just...dies. Also, it seems like they hang out a LOT less than girls. And it really sucks, because I need guy friends to do the more "guyish" things I like, like playing Call of Duty or watching manly anime or video game parties, stuff like that.

So, I guess what I'm asking is: What do I have to do differently to keep male friends?

2. starscene

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well, im not sure of your age etc, but if you are still in education, try talking to some of the guys in your class, find things you have in common, mention call of duty, music things you enjoy but may class as "guyish" treat them as you would your girlfriends and try to avoid the whole "your a guy, i now have feelings for you" scenario. if you are out of education, try going to clubs i suppose, try your work. the same rules apply. talk to them as if they were girls, but remember that they are not.

i hope this made sense to you as iam shattered :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Bisexual but i always socialized better with girls, yet i felt uncomfortable hanging out with girls only, same with guys, always felt uncomfortable hanging out with Homogeneous groups. My solution? Well, i just went with the flow, my friends (girls) are amazing at making new friends so they eventually made guy friends and i, in consequence became friends with them too, and very good friends. Since then i've been hanging out with Guys and Girls together, i don't remember the last time i hang out with and Homogeneous group of only girls or only guys Haha.

I never had problems with liking my guy friends... OK i had a crush in one lol but it was very quick, it happens its normal, i even had a crush on my other friends (girls) also XD, (everybody also knows i'm not straight), but once you realize they are REALLY 101% straight your mind will stop playing tricks on you, i'm pretty sure. Just don't let it play around with you. Ah, And finding guy friends who are completely alright with LGBT is crucial.

I hope you can take anything useful from the experience i related here, good luck!

4. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I don't think that you necessarily need any change in you or any part of you. In the simplest terms, that is too much for an effort of making friends plus, it's very hard.

If I were in your kind of position, I'd check out the people I'd like to be friends with first. It won't really matter to me if I will gradually fall in love with them as long as I know the line between friendship and love. Sometimes, I know they cross, but if I really want to get friends then I better not do any crossing. Any feeling deep inside of me will be kept only as a proof that I have friends and that they love me. How I interpret that love all depends on how exactly I crave for connection with somebody else.

Sorry if I got too wordy, but I do hope I can help. I totally am in the same situation.