1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abusive boss

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KittyKat05, Nov 28, 2011.

1. KittyKat05

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been working as a server at this place since July 2011, and in Canada (i'm not sure about other countries, this is why I'm specifying) I'm past my probation period.

I'm concerned about my work place, at first I thought I was crazy, but I have never met such a miserable man in my whole life. My boss constantly verbally abuses the staff, myself included, and I'm not in the position at the moment to quit my job because my family is moving to another province in a month.

It started out that I was being screamed at, and I'm not over exaggerating, for things that make sense. For example, I was new and I would accidently take food to the wrong table because I didn't understand the table orders, or I would forget things.

However, it's been a while and I'm completely confident in my job and the scolding completely stopped towards me. Last Sunday however, I made a mistake and I took the wrong food to the table. This wasn't entirely my fault because the bill was up and it was an identical order to another one. He got -really- mad at me, even though I hardly make mistakes. Ever since then my boss has been giving me a really hard time.

For example, you're suppose to write a bill a certain way, which I did, the cook read it wrong and the manager blamed ME. He gave some excuse that it was "too small" even though my printing was perfectly ok before.

Today, he got angry at me because my boyfriend came in and sat down to eat. It was 1:00 and that's when I stop taking tables and we have a half an hour to do our side duties before we leave. I purposely got them done early so I could leave at 1, which every other time that would be ok but because my boyfriend was sitting there apparently it isn't anymore. He also told me I couldn't count my bills anywhere but behind the counter even though, again, I've done this every other time and I haven't been complained on.

He has also made me cry before because of his constant yelling, I have never cried in front of him but I've cried in front of customers. I wouldn't do this to make him look bad, it's just I'd be the only server on dealing with the whole restaurant so I couldn't freshen up. Oh, did I mention that he does ALL OF THIS in front of customers? He seems to be pointing all his aggression towards me, because this Saturday that just past almost all of the servers wrote down the wrong order because the server heard them wrong and they didn't get anything from him.

I'm at my wits end, I feel like I'm being picked on and I'm constantly at a fear of getting fired. Though the labor laws in Canada state I have to be written up 3 times for the same thing in a year to get fired. But he apparently doesn't know this as he fired a girl for being late once on a Saturday and she was past her probation period. I don't want to push him because the amount of time it will take to get my job back I'll be out on the street. I'm unsure about going over his head and speaking to the owner because I have no idea if the owner will keep it confidential due to the fact the manager is extremely unprofessional, so what are the odds the owner is? Great odds.

Obviously my next step is to get another job, but I won't quit my job until my 3 months probation is over. However, this man is a tyrant and I feel like he shouldn't be in such a position of power. This sounds like a revenge tactic, and sue me if it is, but he's making everyone at work miserable. I used to love going to work, but now I dread it every single day.

What would you do?

2. Aielar

I've never been in a situation like this, but my best advice to you, from an outsider perspective is this: try speaking to your manager in respectful language, using I statements and so on, about how you feel when he speaks to you.

"I feel upset/angry/helpless/etc when I feel like I am being singled out and yelled at during my work shift. Perhaps you don't realize you're yelling, or maybe you're just having a bad day, but I become upset when I get yelled at and the reason behind it is unclear."

Or something along those lines. It's advisable to document everything you do to resolve the problems you're having with your manager's behavior, just in case you have to approach the owner: since that will make you seem much more reasonable and believable than your manager in the owner's eyes. At least, it will have that effect if the owner is a reasonable person. Just, make sure that whatever course of action you decide to take, you be the better person :slight_smile:

Hope this helps you.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When somebody is acting like a child, the smart money is on acting like an adult. Not a parent, but an adult. To pick one item, if he starts yelling at you for counting your money somewhere where he (now) says you shouldn't, just say "Oh, sorry. I've been counting it over here up until now. Would you rather I count it there? OK, I'll do that from now on." And when he blows his top, do NOT take anything he says personally. Even when there are customers present. When the public sees two people, with one going apeshit crazy and the other being calm and rational...they do NOT take anything the crazy guy says seriously. They just think the crazy guy's a lunatic. :slight_smile: So when you see him go into batshit mode, just look through him. Look at him like some sort of windup toy that spins around and shoots sparks. Respond calmly, and let him sputter out.

Will you be able to leave when the month is up?

Lex

4. Katelynn

Speaking as a fellow Canadian & Ontarioan (I see you're in Toronto), you absolutely DO NOT have to stand for this kind of treatment. This is workplace harrassment, plain & simple. What your boss is doing is totally, 100% illegal. Even if you were still withing your probation period, you still couldnt be fired for speaking up for yourself or another employee. I was a union steward for about 6 months & Im familair with the labour laws a bit, so I can definitely say you dont have to stand for this at all. If this is normal for your workplace, lodge a complaint with the appropriate people or gov't agency. They cannot fire you for this & if they do, it's another law that they are breaking. No one should have to go to a workplace that abusive & fear losing their job if they speak up for themselves...

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I would add is that, if he's getting THIS upset about such minor details (seriously, I've worked in restaurants before, and if these are the biggest problems this place faces, it's gotta be the best restaurant in the hemisphere), it has to be because something else is going on. Along the lines of what Lex was saying, try to remember that, even when he's yelling at you, he's probably really upset about something else. The more ludicrous it gets, the more likely this is true.

(Side note: I also had a boss that yelled at me in front of customers once, despite me being very good at my job and one of the few people who worked there that got along with him. It became VERY obvious that it had little to do with me.)

So, if that helps, keep that in mind. Otherwise I agree that you should document things that happen - down to the time in the shift, if you feel compelled to do so and have the ability to do so. If nothing else, management will want to hear about the fact that he's making customers uncomfortable (which I imagine must be the case).

Here's hoping you can leave the job soon - are you moving with your family?

6. Katelynn

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! From what you have described, you definitely would have a valid reason to file a complaint against your employer. Chances are that you are not the first person to have been singled out.

The Government of Canada and every Province sets employment standards and there are mechanisms in place to file a complaint against an employer for unequal/unfair treatment as well as harassment. If you want, check out the Ontario Ministry of Labour Employment Standards website as well as the Human Resources and Social Development Canada website. Filing a complaint against your employer could be a wake-up call for your boss that he needs to (by law) treat all of is employees fairly and with respect.

#7 Mirko, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  8. KittyKat05

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you very much for all of your advice, it really helped. =)

Also, to answer your question, I am not moving to Regina with my parents, I'm staying here. That's why I'm in such a rut, it's not like I can just quit my job, I'm reaching the glories of adulthood and getting my own place haha.

#8 KittyKat05, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011