1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please what do I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hidinginalabama, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hidinginalabama

Ok so I was at work today and a guy that I work with called me gay and not in a joking way. A little about me and my work first. I am 22 and have been working as a boilermaker for three years. Most every one I work with has worked with my dad when he was still wroking. ( He was a boilermaker for 40 years and worked with me for one year.) And has known my family for all my life. So this is what I'm asking for advice about. How do I hide my life at work when every one knows my family and talks to them all the time. My family is not going to tell them I'm gay. But its just freaking me out that some one at work could find out. As a construction worker guys at work tell gay jokes all the time and its getting kind of old to hear every day. I normal dont even talk at work other than about work stuff. But thats not working anymore.

How do you hide your real life from people at work? Please I need some help here on what to do. Thanks to any one who post a reply.

2. Cookie34

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    There is not much you can do execpt too just be yourself. If, someone calls you gay and you dont want them to know I find the best thing too do is too just laugh it off (even when you feel panic inside you) you do not want it too seem like your denying too much (or showing that your nurvous or getting annoyed) as people may notice and question it.But, if someone does ask you if you are (in a serious conversation) then its up too you whether or not you tell them,if you decide not too its best to just remain calm and tell them that you not (as it is up too you at the end of the day on who you tell)
    I hope this helped :slight_smile:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's calling you this because it's working. It's getting to you. So if you want it to stop, you have to get yourself in a place where it doesn't get to you. You can do this by owning it - by coming out - or by simply acting like it isn't getting to you. The next time you hear a fag comment, you can just look at him quizzically and say "You keep calling me gay. Is that wishful thinking? You want to ask me out, and don't know how?"

But I have a feeling you might need to simply start owning up to it. It can make things awkward for a while, but it's the most likely to result in moving beyond this spot.

Lex