1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need help, how do u come oupt to a group of friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hakeem_uk, May 26, 2006.

1. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

i need a bit of help about coming out to a group friends what do i do first?
    can any one help

i will be greatful

2. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm sure there are many ways. But I don't have many friends so I cant' really be able to be sure that this advice would work. But try this out.

Try to find out what each of your friends think about the gay community. I know its hard to try that out, its kind of hard to ask such a question like that without revealing to your friends about your sexuality. Try your best to see what they think about gay people in general without outing yourself.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, its 6am in the morning and I haven't been to sleep yet. I hope a lot of people try to help you out with this.

Brandon

3. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

i might need to make a group of new friends in year 9 i think i will not come out to there.

4. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well first of all, its always good to single out the most open minded member of that group...always a good start to hit the nail head-on. After that, if s/he is accepting and takes it well, consult with that person to see his/her opinions on who should be next (according to how well s/he will accept you)...if that person happens to go the opposite path and becomes homophobic etc. then just pick another one. Understatement? Maybe. But if you want to tell them then itll have to happen sometime, why wait?

Now if any of these peoples give you negative reactions at first, give them time...some people are quicker to accept than others. It might take a while for them to accept...and sometimes even if they say they're ok with it, there might be feelings they're hiding, they'll try to be supportive (the really good friends) and say they're ok with it but like i said deep down, only they know.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's worth mentioning it's always good to come out to people one-on-one... group dynamics can result in some truly bizarre reactions/interactions.

With that in mind, it's probably best to come out to the person in the group you think will react most positively and who is least likely to jump the gun and tell other people in the group before you have a chance to tell them.

My personal opinion is that if you're going to start coming out to groups of people, it's far, far easier to just come out to all groups you're involved in... i.e. to pretty much everyone. Trying to contain the knowledge of your sexuality to a particular group is an exceedingly difficult, more-than-likely-to-fail effort.

6. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

thanks for all the help you lot i will take it step by step..