1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**** I'm lost

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 11 11 11, Nov 30, 2011.

1. 11 11 11

Fuck I'm lost.

I can't find myself.

This thread is mostly just to see who's online right now - and willing to help. Sorry for the lack of detail but I'm depressed soo....

2. J Snow

You know I'm here and willing to (do my best to) help! =D

I'm sorry about how you feel =( I feel exactly the same...

3. 11 11 11

I know...

I can't help but wonder though....

Are we the only one's?

Everyone else seems to feel like they we're always a boy/girl.

Not many feel like their nothing.

And for anyone who wants to comment - no I don't mean genderqueer by "nothing" - I mean a complete absence of any sense of myself.

I'm still pretty sure I'm not genderqueer - i mean sure I have unconventional ideas about gender roles.....and everyone's a mix of gender characteristics, but my problem is I just can't feel myself anymore.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear you're feeling down. :frowning2:

For what it's worth, I don't think you're the only one. Lots of people feel lost and have trouble getting a sense of themselves at one time or another. Queer people especially - trans, but also Ls, Bs, and Gs. The world doesn't tell us who we are so we have to make it up along the way, and sometimes that gets lonely.

(*hug*)

5. FoxFire11

its alright Ive been feeling much the same lately. Especially in the past few weeks.

Unfortunately i have literally nothing to add that could be of any help.

Sorry. (*hug*)(*hug*)

6. 11 11 11

FoxFire11

WORK ON YOU POST COUNT SO WE CAN CHAT IN THE CHAT ROOM.

XD

That's what you can help with :slight_smile:

7. FoxFire11

well technically i have enough posts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

i actually put in a request for Full Member a few days ago.

8. J Snow

yeah, I feel like it took like 2 weeks for me to get a response to my full member request =/

If any admins are reading this, I feel they should stop whatever they are doing, and go approve FoxFire :grin:

9. DhammaGamer

It's okay to be down, it's bound to happen. Yesterday was a really hard day for me. I was pretty close to killing myself. But, lo' and behold, it's another day, and I survived. It's all going to be okay.

If you really want to dig in and figure out what you want to do about the dysphoria you are experiencing, you need to speak with a gender therapist. If nothing just to get it all out there, so you can look at it objectively and come to some serious decisions about what you want out of life.

No one but you can say if you are a girl or not. You have to look deep down inside yourself and decide, "would I be happier as a woman?" It is NOT an easy thing to come to terms with. There are some transwomen who go til their 40s and 50s before that answer finally becomes clear. Be patient with yourself and have faith in the discoveries you make. Things will get better.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *looks at FoxFire* *points above pony picture"

FoxFire11
    Here be Dragons!

:slight_smile: Just saying and pointing it out

11. 11 11 11

Yeah thanks Revan.

I update my advice FireFox

GET IN THE CHATROOM.

As for Dhamma.......yeah.......gender therapist.....yeah....

The closest I can seem to come to that is a psychologist experienced with dealing with gender issues. And as of last night it's clear my parents are still unhappy about paying $120 for me to see someone over an issue that A) I can't seem to name B) is all in my head.

I know this is a weak response - but that was the sentiment coming out of last night's discussion.

12. DhammaGamer

It is all too common for parents to be unsupportive of younger transwomen. My best piece of advice is to be assertive toward them. If you are wishy-washy about how you feel then they will be wishy-washy about the support they are willing to provide. You need to let them know that this is a real thing you are dealing with and that for sake of your health, happiness, and well-being you need treatment, which begins with professional therapy. If you don't have the resources to help yourself, you need to cultivate the confidence and self-esteem to look for assistance from others.

Keep in mind that the most expensive parts of transition (surgery) can often be put off until a later date. The important parts of transition are self-acceptance, and the ability to live life as the gender you are on the inside. How can you be expected to accept the person you are and come to terms with your gender or your life in general if you don't get an opportunity to discuss these things with a trained professional?

You don't have to feel like just because you are pursuing therapy, that you are at a point of no-return. If through the course of therapy you determine that in fact you are not transsexual but instead somewhere in-between or something different entirely, at least you will have attained some peace of mind and the ability to approach your life with confidence.

Of course, if you think that your parents are simply not going to support you in this, then you are going to have to just be patient and work hard in order to make it a reality on your own. Although I often have regrets for not coming clean with myself about these issues when I was younger because I could have started transition at a much younger age, I know that my parents would not have been supportive of this at all, and neither of them had the funds available back then to do anything about it even if they wanted to.

One of the biggest things other girls tell me about the transiiton process is that, if you learn anything, it is PATIENCE. It isn't going to happen over night, and there will be lots of ups and downs. Just stay focused, keep searching within yourself for the strength you need to keep going. Don't get hung up on "but what if I'm wrong," or "maybe I'm not" or "I'm not liek her, i must be just crazy," or "I can't afford it anyways." Those are excuses that will lead to regret later on in life. Like they say, "its better to regret something done, than to regret something left undone."

13. Katelynn

We are totally not alone, & neither are you. Ive connected with A LOT of trans women online, mostly on a certain social networking site that shall remain nameless, & come to realize there are a HUGE number of people that are just like me. And Ive also gotten an amazing amount of support from many of them as well.

Feeling lost is kind of part of the process of discovering yourself & finding out who & what you are. It sucks to go thru, but at the other end of it, you will hopefully find a bit of clarity. Having someone to talk to can help, which is great that you`ve found EC. If I can ever help, I certainly will try my best for you! (*hug*)

14. 11 11 11

Thanks Dhamma - I have made it perfectly clear to them:

This is what I need. I need your help getting this. And I'm sorry but I can't really tell you why. I still love you and thank you for all you've done, but you just need to do this for me. Please. I need your help here.

But they're still not comfortable with the whole "seeing a psych" thing, and they're getting increasingly annoyed that I won't come and talk to them about any problems I'm having / how I'm feeling.

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2011 at 08:21 AM ----------

They remain convinced that:

A) I should have come and seen them.

B) A psychologist will only listen to what I have to say, and try to help me work through my problems, not present a magical cure. (I'm not looking for one - just a second opinion, maybe a bit of help.)

C) That my problems should not get in the way of me being respectful (ie: nice) to them while I'm around the house - and helping out as much as I can. - I understand this - but sometimes it's just not possible to be nice to someone when you're seriously depressed.

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2011 at 08:24 AM ----------

They maintain that professional psychological care is not something I want to get into....and if I am saying I have an issue that's bad enough to need this kind of help - then why can't I tell them about it.

They keep focusing on the symptoms - the things they DO know about. Trying to find ways to keep me busy that will give me a sense of accomplishment and make me feel better about myself. And in some way's they're right. I do need to stop dwelling on this issue and just do stuff. But..........ach I don't know.

I can't really get a sense of self-worth without an idea of who I am.....It's not like I hate myself....I just don't know who that person is.

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2011 at 08:26 AM ----------

I'm not worried about the cost of surgery yet Dhamma XD

First I'd like to be able to tell if I am a girl - and hence need it - or not. XD

As for how I'm meant to come to terms with the person I am inside?
    Well I haven't told my parents exactly what the issue is. But my mothers awnser would be: "Use us! You never come to us for anything! We have experience in life we can help you! Advise you!"

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2011 at 08:34 AM ----------

And just to clarify guys/girls - thanks for all the comments to far by the way...

When I said "I'm lost",

I was referring to my inability to feel/see myself. I am still having troubles determining who I am inside. J Snow helped a bit with this last night - and I thank her for that....

But *shrug*

I dunno - still have no sense of myself.

I can't visualise myself doing anything.....or imagine myself in any situation.....I can't see myself in my head or anything like that. I have no sense of identity anymore - I'm just running off feelings and reactions. I guess you could say I have no real identity anymore....

I just feel like a blank puppet - driven by a need to get a face - but all I have to work with is stuffing inside me.

15. DhammaGamer

I think that you may need to do the hard thing and just be completely honest with them. It sounds like your folks really do care about you and want you to be happy.

I know it sounds really difficult, I mean I havent even told my folks yet, but if you really want to get something done you should just go to them and say, "I think I may be transsexual and I need to see a therpist to decide what I should do."

There you go. Cut-and-dry.

In regards to you being distant or rude to your folks when you're around your place, I'm not sure what's going on there. Maybe just teenage angst. But either way, if you want/need their support right now then you need to mature up a bit and stop moping around. Prove to them that you are a strong, mature, and intelligent person and that you care about them. They are the last people you want to be pushing away right now.

**edit
    Also, in regards to you not seeing your "self" or being "lost." This is common for everyone. The Buddha states that there is no "self" which is why it is so elusive and impossible to define. Stop trying to find your "self" and instead focus on finding what makes you happy.

#15 DhammaGamer, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  16. 11 11 11

*sigh*

Thanks Dhamma.

Nothing makes me happy at the momment though. Talking about this issue kinda helps. But my parents are really sick of me spending days on end - in my room - on my computer.

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2011 at 09:01 AM ----------

But thanks for your other advice.

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2011 at 09:02 AM ----------

God I sound so meanspirited these days...

17. Veronica

I'm not sure if I'm much help on this as I'm completely independent (should be at my age). I also have enough to occupy myself with every day that I don't get the time to sit down and be depressed.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I try to make the best out of the situation I'm in, and try to figure out how to make my future outlook better. Life's too short to waste. My life is my own and I have only one opportunity to make it enjoyable. No one else will do it for me. So if people make my life miserable, then fuck them. I don't need them.

My only goal in life is to make my own life enjoyable and help others do the same.

So yeah, that's what I do. Sometimes it takes some effort, but it does work :slight_smile:

18. person54

You really sound like you could benefit from therapy or counseling of some sort and that's not at all a bad thing, it's just that it can help a people deal with those things. But it also sounds like you need to tell you're parents if you want to have a chance at getting therapy.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way around that unless you already plan to somehow immediatly be self sufficient and live on your own. It's scary to think about telling the ones you love about these sorts of things I know but right now it doesn't seem like you can get therapy without telling your parents. So is keeping this a secret worth not having the possibility of getting help? It sounds like something needs to change for you.

It's not easy telling someone or talking to someone about something they may be uncomfortable/unreceptive about, but it may also be absolutely necessary. There's times when people need to try to strongly advocate for themselves (whether or not they fail or think they'll fail) and for you, this seems like one of those times.

19. DhammaGamer

I agree with person54. I don't think you really have any other option but to tell your parents how you feel.

20. 11 11 11

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbeR6uYxU50[/YOUTUBE]

I know i'll have to tell them eventually. But I'm this close to seeing psych without having to reveal everything. I'll give it till next week - hopefully I'll have managed to get them to take me to someone by then.....besides.....it's not like they'd accept "I'm questioning my gender" as a good reason to get professional help.