1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice on coming out to my mom that I'm bi

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Menaki-Neko, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I'm not sure how to tell her if I should even right now. My mom thinks of it as a sin, but I know and we it can't be helped. I want to start letting people know, so should I even start with my mom? I have a best friend that I know would accept me no matter what, should I tell her instead?

#1 Menaki-Neko, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Sadepeura

I recommend that you tell your best friend first. Then when you're ready to tell your mum, you will definitely know that you will have your best friend's support if the coming out to your mum goes badly. :slight_smile:

3. Fiddledeedee

My mother thinks that bisexuality is a choice and a sin, as well. I would echo what Sadepeura said about telling someone who you know will be accepting first; the good reaction of my brother and friend who I initially told was really helpful to me, as I could be certain that the whole world did not hate me. It's great that you feel ready to begin coming out, and there is no place that you "should" start, other than with whoever you are comfortable with knowing. Good luck!

4. chrism29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i would defenetly tell your friend first then you will have friend support then you have someone you can talk to and you may find it easer to tell other people in your life (including your mom) if you have some support and someone to lean on.

best of luck and i hope everything goes well for you.(*hug*)

5. Vesper

Tell your best friend. I'd say that the first person you tell (aside from yourself) is the most important and can set the course for the future. You should come out to someone you know will accept you so that there's at least one person in your life you can talk to about being bi and the challenges that come with it.

6. IanGallagher

Friends first, then siblings, then parents. Don't come right out and say, "mom, I'm bi." Or I didn't do that because she might jump to gay if it's built up the same way. I went a different route (I'm in the film business) by listing all the famous film guys who were bisexual - James Dean, Marlon Brando, etc. and said I was just like them - I'm bi.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The idea is to build as broad a base of *reliable* support as you can before telling more difficult people. So start with all the people you most strongly feel you can trust to be supportive of you...then move up to the less reliable ones. The difficult ones (like it sounds like your mom will be) may well be difficult (though some less than you thought, maybe...but some more, too)...but with a base of support, you'll survive those too.

Good luck with this!

8. EM68

I agree with the posters above. You should tell your friend first. You want to build a support network around you in case when you come out to your mom it goes bad. You may want to print out the pamphlet 'Our Daughters, Our Sons' and give it to your mom to read when you come out to her.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say tell ur friend first. Get used to the water in a way.

Remember coming out doesn't mean changing someone's mind. People are going to believe what they believe, but knowledge, knowing someone, is best way to overcome prejudice

10. IanGallagher

Also be prepared to field press questions from your family and friends. The typical queer ones, but also - who do you lean more towards?

It took a while for my family and friends to understand. But, now one day I can say I liked a guy and the next rave about how hot the girls I saw were and how my buddies and I gotta double team em' next time to go home for the score!

- I lean way way more towards girls, guys it's just a rare occasion but noticeable - if you're this way too, prepare for the additional question "why come out at all then?"

It's kinda important as the guy who digs chicks to stress to your friends that you still like girls as much as you did before and you still want to go out on the prowl with them. Because months after coming out I was treated as "the gay friend," but months later - I'm back to being me, just a more open me.

No offense to gay guys, but being a bi guy who leans more towards girls - having friends who think you would rather go home with a guy can makes things especially awkward if you see a girl you really like. It's two extremely different lifestyles, but this goes away with time.

#10 IanGallagher, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  11. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Thanks you guys!