1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in the black community

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by klove, Dec 14, 2007.

1. klove

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Now I know its generalizing a bit, but it does seem like the black community is more harder for homosexuals (DEFINITELY, if you're a black male, rather than a girl. I'm a senior (male)in high school. Should I come out to my family. My family is strongly against gay people?

2. Nicknikko

hummm i think is all up to you... I really am not the best person to give you advice here but what i can tell you is that no matter what they love you.
    you just will have to give time to them to adapt to this kind of situation that will be new for them

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Find out how strongly against gay people they are. If they are merely ignorant of the truth about us, then go for it, but have a plan in case they react badly. If their homophobia is grounded in religion and political beliefs, then it may be best to wait until you are no longer financially dependent on the them before you come out to them.

4. Urman

Urman Guest

Agreed give it time and ease your way into it(*hug*)

5. waitingsucks

Don't come out to them unless u are prepared to be kicked out or cut-off money wise. U'll need to be self dependant if the worse hapens. Look in some of the guides about coming out they're really helpful and more accurate then me.