1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one who feels that there parents won't except them?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Menaki-Neko, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I feel like that all the time. My mom is fairly homophobic, and I"m not so sure about my dad. I don't know how my mom will react if I come out to her, I got some advice on on here that I should come out to my friends first so I could have some support if my parents don't take it very well. But now I"m not sure if I can come out to my parents anymore. Has anyone gone through something like this before? How did you get through it?

2. needshelp

you're not alone. (*hug*)

3. 11 11 11

No you're really not.

Oh and thread name should be "accept" not "except". Unless you want to you're parents to except you from doing the dishes or something XD

4. IanGallagher

Everyone is worried one parent may have difficulty with it from hearing how things can go badly, good part here is - most of those feelings are more just unfounded worries. Basically mostly in the head.

5. Hidinginalabama

Almost every one feels that way. Its a feeling that you will have until you come out. But it will get better.

6. chrism29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its totally true most of them are in your head and even if they dont react well at first...they will get use to the idea and your their child they will love you no matter what.
    but yes i would tell your friends so then you can have a support system from them.

best of luck.

7. xxilymlsxx

xxilymlsxx Guest

You are so not alone

8. Tiny Catastrophe

You're definitely not alone. I still haven't come out to my dad and most of my family because I don't know how they will react.

9. suninthesky

Heck, I haven't even come out to myself. The thought of my parents is pretty scary too.

10. Marlowe

I would recommend coming out to friends first. It lets you feel more comfortable with being gay, which I think is important so you don't freak out while talking to your parents and make you more confident about what you need to share with them. I think that every is scared to come out to their parents because that relationship comes with all sorts of emotional baggage and parents do have selfish expectations, which I think we as children are very aware of.

Here is my advice. You can worry all you want about these contingencies, but honestly your bisexuality is not going away, so the real choice is how do you feel about living in the closet for the rest of your life. For me, the past decade was miserable and so once I asked myself this question I knew the immediately was that I had to come out. Maybe it is different for you.

11. Mcmannerberry

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    No you are not at all alone. My family are made up of a bunch of religious fundamentalists bigots that use the guise of the bible "righteous living" to justify their hatred and judgement of gays. With that being said, I have no desire to tell any of my family as this point what so ever. I might get to the point where I tell my sister and a particular cousin but thats it. Going on what I am feeling right now I probably wont ever go beyond that... My Dads side of the family would judge and hate me, my father would be dissapointed, ashamed, and our relationship would be forever strained. He is a very dogmatic individual and I dont think he would ever accept me. He might get to the point he TOLERATES me to have a relationship but he will never accept me. And I look at my mom to have similar thoughts. So yeah you arent the only one and I sympathize with you.

12. MyJunkIsYou

Like others have said, you really aren't alone in feeling like this.

I think coming out to some friends first is a good idea. I don't expect a positive reaction from my family either but knowing I have friends to support me, who accept me even if my parents won't gives me a little bit of comfort. One of my friend's parents told me if I ever need somewhere to stay I was always welcome, things like that mean so much.

I've been trying to come out to my parents for at least a year now. The worst thing is not knowing how they will react, I can empathize.

13. Fiddledeedee

I felt and feel like this. I packed an overnight bag before I came out to my mother, just in case. I haven't told Dad yet because I have no idea of how to broach the subject with him or of what he would say afterwards.

14. LeCiel389

Out Status:
    Some people
    You're not alone, I came out to my parents as lesbian when they found out I had a girlfriend and they took it really badly. That was months ago and since then i've been trying to reassure them that i'm 'bi' because they didn't accept me at all and stopped me having contact with my girlfriend altogether :/ They're hoping it's just a phase.

But coming out to friends first is definatley the best idea, I came out to all of mine and they accept me for who I am :slight_smile:

15. Just Passing

I'd be surprised if anyone here said that they believed their parents would accept them without question. I don't mean to offend anyone who has and that's great if you've had no issues whatsoever coming out, but it's just a thought.

As for myself, I feel it and still do. Mine is a bit more of an insecurity issue though, it spreads beyond parents and to the rest of my family, but even so it still remains the same. It's just a very nerve-wracking experience that we all have to go through at some point.