1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to do about straight girls, they confuse me :/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LeCiel389, Dec 2, 2011.

1. LeCiel389

Out Status:
    Some people
    Recently, I've had a massvie crush on a girl who I don't even know but I see her around my college a lot.I think she's really cute and would like to get to know her better but I've heard that she's straight and a lot of people in my college know i'm lesbian, so I think she would think of it a bit strange if i tried talking to her :/ What could I do? I catch her looking at me a lot, but maybe it's because I'm staring at her a bit too much :lol:

Also, since my friends at college who are girls found out i'm lesbian a few of them are trying to come on to me. They're straight and have boyfriends but after having one of them sleeping at my house she started being really forward and we ended up getting really close, if you know what i mean :') And it confuses me, why do my straight girl friends do this? It's not like I fancy them loads, because I don't really. They've never had girlfriends or done stuff with girls :/ A lot of them have suddenly decided that they've turned bi overnight but they can't be serious. They try to walk around holding my hand at college and stuff.. I think they just want to use it all as something to show off to other people but I'm not sure :| They constantly throw themselves at boys, and I think they just want me to fancy them too. What do you think of it?

2. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I think that they are just expirementing, you know, trying to see what it's like to like girls. They'll stop unless they discover another part of themselves, which I highly doubt since you girls are in college, and most people find out when they are a teenager.

3. Claudio

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been there. And it still happens when you get into adulthood. The amount of times I've been hit on by women in clubs that can clearly see I'm gay and they are obviously straight. I've even asked before, and some have admitted they have husbands at home! It's part of the unknown, and most women find it easy to see other women that are attractive. Also, there's little danger to getting with a woman, and it's a bit of fun for them.

I would say that the case is in terms of the girls at your college, is that perhaps some don't know what they are and are blinded by the changes their hormones bring. A cliche', but being a teenager is really confusing, and I struggled to find my style and attitude towards things. In my opinion, and this is only my opinion so take from it what you will, but when you are a gay woman in that situation, you know what you are looking for - not the girls that are overnight bi's. You are the one in the equation that stands to get hurt if they string you along, so I would suggest having some reservation towards who you see/date. Similarly, I was strung along by a girl through college, and I loved her. She said she was bi, but preferred women. A year after college, she ditched me because she wanted to be with a bloke. SO, just be careful and try to take a step back from situations and have a look at what is really going on. You could save yourself unnecessary pain.

4. Noir

I agree--I'm very wary of girls who say they're "bi but leaning more towards girls." I've sat back and waited to see what they'd do, and sure enough, they give up on me in no time to get with a guy. Of course this isn't always the case, but maybe the overnight bi's are just curious or want attention to get a rise. I'd be picky about who I date among them.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, there is nothing wrong with wanting or trying to be *friends* with this girl you're crushing on...and talking to her is a necessary component of trying to be friends, regardless of your sexuality. But if she is truly straight, you should NOT try to push beyond friendship...you risk serious awkwardness, losing the friendship, and possibly losing other friendships and gaining a reputation you don't want.

As to the come-ons from "straight" girls, there are lots of possibilities, and yes, you can't know the "right" way to respond. You simply cannot know whether these girls are really straight...so it's impossible to correctly decipher why they're doing what they're doing.

If you fancy them in the least (or want to see them sweat), you can take their advances at face value, treat them as serious, and see how far they go (this *could* be fun, depending on what kind of person you are).

Or you could be more circumspect, and just ask them point-blank, "hey, I thought you were straight, but this seems awfully like a come-on...what gives?" or "goodness...are you trying to seduce me?"