1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LoveIsNotAFavor, Dec 2, 2011.

1. LoveIsNotAFavor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So
    I want to come out to my brother,a 21 year old, sometime soon. I'm guessing he should take it well, he has a bi friend and has fought with my mother (who is a jehovah's witness) over gay-ness and how it's not wrong. But the thing is, I'm his little sister and I'm wondering if it would maybe change his mind on that? I'm 13, by the way. And yes, I am sure and I've known for about 2 years now. I just don't know how to go about telling him, I don't want to make it a big deal or make it feel immensely awkward. Any advice? :help:

2. Fiddledeedee

I was barely 14 when I told my 17-year-old brother, who is very supportive of gay rights and all and who I was reasonably sure would be fine with me. One evening when Mum was out at church, I just went into his room and asked him "C, what would you think if I was something like bisexual?" "Why should I care? It's not like you're going to go out with me! Why?" "Because I think I might well be." "Fair enough." and that was that. It took me several minutes to turn the handle of his door to go in, and I was shaking a little, but afterwards I felt so relieved. It wasn't a big deal for him, and therefore it was not awkward; he knew that it could be hard for someone to come out.

I doubt that your being your brother's little sister will change anything, though you are the only one that can tell. He might think that because of your age you can't know yet, but there is only one way to find out.

(*hug*)

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

I'd say your best bet is just to find some time to sit down with him (metaphorically, if you're doing this over the phone) where you can't be disturbed. Then, just lay it out for him. You might start by saying how much you appreciate him mixing it up with your parents over the whole concept of sexuality, and then go on to say "It means a lot to me, because I've come to the realization that I'm gay myself."

Lex

4. Hidinginalabama

I know how you feel here. I came out to my twin brother not to long ago and it went great. But all the time I spent thinking about how I should do it or when kept getting to me. So from what I have learned about it is that it is best to find some time to sit down with him. It is going to take some time for him to under stand what your saying but in the end it will be ok. Just find some time when the two of you can be alone and tell him what's going on in your life. I wish you all the best and let us know how it goes. :thumbsup: