1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont know what to do

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jim94, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Jim94

Hi , my name is Jim and Im 17.
    I have strugled alot with my sexuality the past years and this last summer I just aceppted the fact that Im gay and cant change that no matter what I do.

I've been really deprest lately because of my sexuality , of course all this because of what my family would do when I would come out to them.

Everyone in my family is religious and with that comes the homophobia.
    Whenever somethig about gay comes up theyr reaction is : eww gay , they all going to hell , how can they do that etc.
    My family is the kind of "perfect" family , the perfect kids , the perfect home , jobs etc.
    All of my "friends" are religious/homophobics too , they'v said manny times homophobic stuff but one that feaked me out most was when they said that if there were a police that would have to kill gay people , they would work there for free , just for funn.

Im really scared for my future.
    Im at a distanc school right now but will start at a nornal highschool this januari , Im woried that I will get bullid or something even that I dont really give people the chance to make fun of me or anything.

I have alot of suicide and leaving home thoughts.
    I just dont know what to do , Im usally a "see the future" person but now its just hopeless.

Even after posting this it wont change much but at least I got it off my chest in a way or another.
    (Sorry for my wrong spelling cus Im writing all of this this from my phone cus Im sacred to use my laptop to do this stuff and english isnt my firt language)

2. Cymbrii

Keep looking at the future. Things definitely sound bad, but you just have to remember things will get better. Being 17, you don't have much control over your life right now, but once you grow up, you'll be in control of everything - where you go, who you hang out with or keep contact with. Check out the It Gets Better project on YouTube; there is a lot of encouragement and support there. The project was spurred by gay teens being driven to suicide, and it's about communicating to them that there is hope, from people who've been where you are and made it through. (most of the videos are in the favorites)

itgetsbetterproject's Channel - YouTube

In terms of improving your current situation, I think someone else might have better advice than me, so I'll leave it to them. Good luck and stay strong! Don't give up!

#2 Cymbrii, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In addition to Cymbrii's ideas, I'd also add that, if you're thinking of coming out in the future (or even if you're not and you want to start doing something about your family/friend situation now, since that's clearly bothering you), I would start trying to meet some new people and make new friends.

Does your school (either of them) have a GSA/LGBT student organization of any type? If so, I'd join, or at least find out who's a member and try to get your foot in the circle. If your friends are saying and suggesting all these things, then you might want to try to find better ones. I realize it's easy to say, but think how nice it would be not to have to put up with their comments and feel shitty about your situation just because of their offhand remarks?

As for family, that's a different story. People react in all kinds of ways, and sometimes they really surprise you when they learn that someone in their family is gay. On the other hand, it sounds like they're pretty clear on where they stand. Do you know of any extended family that would be more accepting?

Finding a new group of friends and support is half the battle - or even more, quite frankly. The more support you have around you, the easier this will be, and the easier it will be to come out eventually. There ARE things you can to do improve your situation right now though. :slight_smile:

4. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Hi, and welcome to EC.:slight_smile:

First of all, don't give up, your life is barely starting, look forward you will soon be 18.
    You will go to college and you may have more freedom, so look forward to that. Also, try to get support; from a source that you trust and know will keep your sexuality a secret.

Good Luck! and EC is always here to give a shoulder where you can lean on.

5. Jim94

Thank you guys for your welcoms and comments!

I think my family is kind of special , I mean my oldest sister is 23 and she doesnt do a thing without asking my parents , I dont think that they would make a excuse unless I would come out and they would probebly kick me out or whatever...

I've seen alot of the videos , they give me hope seeing all of them and knowing that they have been in the same situation and worse and they still got throught it.

I really want to meet new people sspecially those that have been/are in the same situation.
    As you said , it isnt easy to do that , all of my friends are my brothers too so if I make new friends everyone in the family has to know , you wanna know why ? Well , they have to know if they are believers or sinners or how theyr family is....

I dont know if there are any kind of those groups , but I will look after that.
    Yeah of course it would be nice to not be judged for something that I never got the chance to choose.

I dont know about my family , I just cant imagine how they would react , they sure will tell me that Im going to hell othervise I dont know.
    I dont know about a extendent family.

I know , I just hope that will hapen sometime.

I hope to find someone for support , I just feel tired , it would be nice if I could turn everything off for a while.

6. Bi As A Kite

Surely everyone will value you alive and gay instead of dead and 'straight'.

Get outta that group of friends. They don't sound like great companions.

If you find one other gay guy, chances are he'll know some more. Get networking.

And cool name btw :wink:

7. commandZ

Coming out is difficult enough without homophobic friends and family. I'm not sure where you live but if I were you I'd start planing my exit. Bide you time. Maybe it's college, maybe it's just saving some money and moving somewhere more hospitable to work. A working holiday. Do you have any friends or family abroad? Somewhere more sympathetic?

8. Jim94

Empty Closets - Welcome

Sometimes I really doubt that.

I guess I just need to find someone to open to and that can support me through this.

Thanks , lol :slight_smile:

Im from Sweden and yeah , Ive already started to save up money and I think I would get help from the goverment (or city) if I move out or get kick out , but Im still scared

Thanks for you advices , more are really appreciated.

9. Jim94

After reading some of the other threads I found my slef like I was reading my own story.
    I mean there are so many quesion , so many thoughts and worries to take , the quesion will stay unanswred and the worries unsolved.

I dont want to be confused anymore , I just want...I dont even know what anymore.

#9 Jim94, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  10. Doctor Faustus

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Finding new friends is key and changing school can help towards that. You can reinvent yourself, work from a clean slate and not have to worry about anyone judging you. If it goes badly and you get bullied and/or have suicidal thoughts, talk to someone please. Anyone. Know what systems are in place to take care of student welfare and disciplinary action should it be needed.

Hope this helps. Feel free to write to me if you want some guidance.

Best,

Doctor F.

11. Jim94

I hope to make new freinds and maybe meet someone that I can trust enough to talk aout this stuff.
    Its my first time here that I talk to someone about my problems , there is none that I can trust on this.
    Thanks alot for your comments , they help.

12. Jim94

I feel like a criminal when Im around my family and friends , I feel like Im take advantage of them, I feel guilty when Im having a good time with them ,
    I feel like I dont deserve anything good that happends , while they dont know about me cus if they did none of them would stay at the same room with me.

13. Tracker57

Jim: part of the reason your friends are acting this way is because they are teenagers. The gang mentality takes over and they try to be tougher than the next. Because they are young males, they try to express their "machismo" in large overblown terms. Sometimes those who are the loudest at expressing their homophobia are actually dealing with sexual orientation issues themselves. Given time, hopefully your friends will mellow and be more accepting.

I come from a strict Christian family, too. Relax. Even in strict denominations, there is no condemnation over who you ARE. They may have a problem with what you DO. Most condemn homosexual acts, but it doesn't sound like you've expressed your sexuality yet. At this point in time relax...the time will come when you can sort out your feelings and express your sexuality as you see best.

Suicide never fixed any problem. If you feel the urge, talk to someone and get help! I've tried to kill myself and I am so glad it didn't work. And life really does get better!

14. Jim94

The youngest friend of mine is at the same age as me , the others are all over 20.
    They just act with ignorace and every exause is : because the bible tells me so.
    And no , nobody knows about me , I mean f*uck , I have to go to the bathroom to post here because of being scared of being caught.
    I dont know a person that I can trust enough and talk about my problems.

Thanks for your comment!

15. Tracker57

Jim94: Does your school have counselors? Can you think of a reason to get referred to a psychologist or a therapist and talk to him or her? It's rough when you're 17. But do not give up!

And talk to us here! We're all friendly ears here.

16. Jim94

Im at a distance school right now(study from home trough the internet) but I will start at a normal highschool this january , I dont know if there is anyone like that.
    If I want to get to meet a psychologist I must have a hell of a reason to give to my parents , I cant just meet one because of my age.
    My hopes are to get new friends in the new school and maybe someone I can talk.

I will and thank you for reading/listening.

17. Jim94

I dont know how long I can keep this going , every day I get in more and more in religious stuff and with that meeting more people that are like that.

I get headache at least 4 times a week , it probebly has nothing to do with my situation but it doesnt help either.

Why cant things just be simple , not complicate the sh*t out of everything.

18. Tracker57

Jim94: When you first come out to yourself, you may feel like you have to rush things. You have come to an equilibrium within yourself and now you and the entire world be be in balance, too. Right NOW! Relax. You are no different now than you were a month ago or a year ago--except you understand yourself better. And now that you've accepted yourself, are you going to be doing anything new or different right now? Probably not. Especially because you are changing schools.

If you rush or force things before their time, you might end up making things worse. Will people make gay-bashing jokes around you if they don't know you're gay? Sure. Are you going to be able to change intolerant people just by letting them know you're gay? No. But you have a little secret inside yourself--like a little treasure--that they don't know. I sometimes enjoy my secret me when I know others have no idea of who I really am--yet. It is actually rather fun. I feel like it is a little joke that I can enjoy and they would have no idea. And actually, you can gage who other people are by their unguarded comments.

Things are not always simple. But at least you're talking about it here.

Don't give up!

19. Jim94

Your right, I know that I shoudnt rush things but Im afraid that Im just getting in deeper things and make it harder for me to come out later.

A few hours ago I was talking with some friends then the topic about sleeping came up , one of them said that none should ever sleep with him bwcause he will be over the other person in morning.
    I was looking at hin in a strange way then another friend mention it , then he said that I was enjoy what I was hearing.
    That friend that noticed me watching ,he is really childish even that he is 21+ years old , he uses to talk alot about people , and Im sure when I come out he will talk reall sh*t about me , probebly say to other friends that I had crushes on them(believe me when I say he is childish and talks really bad about people without knwing them)
    And my family are the ones that are going to take all that sh*t in , they really listen to what others say , they say that they dont but they do.

Maybe Im just over worried , but just thinking how my family is , its hard not to worry.

20. jlg65

I can sympathize with you, in fact we may be twins! Haha, uber-religious family and community. I want to come out but I havent worked up the nerve. I don't want it to have a negative impact on my future but I think I would be happier out of the closet. I've struggled with suicide and running away too, but I don't think thats the answer. Nobody wins in that situation. If you need to talk, let me know