1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I come out to my mom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Menaki-Neko, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I was given some advice before hand saying to tell some of my friends first so that I could have some support in case my mom reacts badly, which I'm pretty sure she will because of our religion(I would say which religion to prove how bad my problem is, but the code of conduct said not to). Now that I've told two of my friends and am going to tell another one of them tonight, I realized that now I'll have to tell my mom sooner or later. I've been getting stomach aches and have nearly thown up. I feel like a nervous wreck now :bang: :tears: , and i've even packed an overnight bag just in case i have to go to my friends house. I know that i have to tell her very soon otherwise my stomach cramps will get worse and I'll probably start vommitting this time. But now I really need to know how I can do it :help: ! I'm very lost and how and could use some help with my problem.

2. Doctor Faustus

Hey there! I don't think I've seen you on EC before so I'll begin by saying hello! :smilewave

I think you've done the right thing by coming out to peers whom you can relate to and who can give you the confidence, strength and support you need to get through things.

From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like you can come out to her face-to-face. So what I'd suggest to you is try writing a letter to her. That way you can organise your thoughts more clearly than you might be able to if you were simply talking to her. Tell her exactly how you feel - that this has been tearing you up for sometime and you've been really scared to come out because you were worried about how she would react. Emphasise that even if her religion doesn't allow for your sexual preferences, you will love her just as much as you did before and that you hope she could do the same for you: treat you how she has always treated you. Explain how you want to be happy (which is what any right-minded parent would want for their children) and not have to hide yourself from who you really are. Mention how cool your friends feel about the subject and that you would wish her to do the same.

Hope this helps. Keep in touch; let me know how it goes.

Best,

Doctor Faustus.