1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Conversation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dare2bProud

I've been talking to this guy online for the last month. Him and I have had a lot of good conversations. We have been emailing back and forth every day. He kept bringing up the idea of us meeting. He kept telling me that he really wanted to meet. Every time I would say, "Yes. I will be in the city this weekend shopping. Let's get coffee." I even gave him my phone number for him to get a hold of me. He would always go to the online site and message me that something came up and couldn't make it. He has not even used my phone number. In fact, I don't really know his name, he has never shared it with me, but i've shared mine.

Yesterday, out of the blue, I get an email from him saying, "I know this guy that you should meet I made friends with him on here. He's really nice and you two should talk. Not that I'm playing matchmaker or anything. You two have a lot in common. I'm really here for friends anyway."

How should I take that statement? I don't feel as if I was being pressuring. We never got into deep convos and when he would cancel, I stopped pressuring to meet. He would then bring it up again. I'm confused.

- Kevin

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had to guess, I'd say that he was at least mildly interested in meeting you, but kept chickening out. It may be that he's not ready to "make it real" by meeting someone in the flesh. Or maybe he's married. Or any number of things. But he keeps switching between "let's do this" and "uh, no, better not".

My thought? Let him go. But take him up on his offer to talk to his other "friend". :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's also possible that he isn't who he says he is, and, rather than admitting that, he created a new profile with the real "him" so he can avoid the embarrassment of being caught using someone else's pictures and so forth. That would explain the chickening out and avoidance. Of course, no way to know, nor would I bring that idea up, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

So yes, talk to the other "friend" and see what's up.

4. Dare2bProud

Seriously? People do that?

5. J Snow

So, I've met up with a few guys on the net before. It can very scary and intimidating. It can be very scary and intimidating, and I've also been ditched, and wished I hadn't gone through with meeting them. I also met my boy friend online and we've been together 15 months. You can meet excellent people, but you have to be careful, and you can't let yourself get disappointed if someone doesn't show. In fact, I would kind of expect it.

6. Sadepeura

This.

7. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

lol. i'm laughing because i had a similar situation. my only piece of advice here is that you have extended the opportunity to meet several times, he has cancelld and not set up a similar opportunity for you to meet (reschedule). he keeps bringing it up when you have backed down. therefore, he is either scared to meet you, intimidated because maybe he is not what he has protrayed himself to be looks wise or pic wise and is scared of rejection when you see him for what he really is, or he is dating someone else and can't meet you but secretely likes you.

he is trying to set you up with someone else. personally you never met him, so i would not meet someone thru someone else i did not even know. sounds weird and fishy. it could be a cool person but if this guy is weird, im not sure i would wnat to go there.

you have to be careful with internet people. there have been some crzy games played with people on the internet and them not being who they say they are .

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2011 at 06:06 PM ----------

yes, you even have to be careful of webcam because unfortunately some people have a second person "pose" as them and the real person is not on the cam. it can be a very sick world in internet land.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, all the time. Some use fake pics, and/or make themselves 10 or 20 years younger in their online profiles and then can't understand why people are upset when they meet in person. Obviously these are people with exceptionally low self esteem (and therefore not the healthiest people to be with.)

I'm not saying this is the case in your situation, but it just sounded a little fishy to me.