1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriously??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BradThePug, Dec 6, 2011.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry, I was nor really sure where to post this but it's more of a rant than anything...

So today I was walking to my math class and there were some girls walking in a group and they were talking. Out of the blue one of the girls yells "She's a lesbian, she has no feelings . I mean come on look how she is dressed."
    When she said this one of the girls tapped me on my arm.

I am so pissed off at these girls right now... I know that they live in my dorm, but I do not know their names.

They are lucky that I managed to control my anger, or otherwise they would've gotten a rant like none other. But I don't think that that would've helped the situation any either...

Ok... Sorry I just had to type this out somewhere before I snapped on a random person that had nothing to do with this.

2. Hot Pink

She's a lesbian, she has no feelings? Being gay apparently means not being human and being on a level lower than animals--which most people are convinced have feelings. I wouldn't have stayed quiet, though. Not sure what to say other than those girls are bitches?

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Wow, that has got to be one of the bitchiest things that I have ever heard. I don't even know what to say to that. Dumb bitches have no brains? Maybe you should consider going to an RA and filing a complaint about it, or going to whoever it is that deals with this sort of thing. I would. I'm really sorry that happened to you.

4. I'm sorry you had to listen to that (*hug*)
    I agree with the above posters, you should file a complaint or something. You shouldn't have to take that.

5. PaisleySounds

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's just awful... I feel for you. It's probably better that you kept your cool honestly. Although what they said to you was completely unacceptable.

One of my friends has a beautiful quote that he tells his children to teach them an important lesson.

"Kids... why are we always nice to the people who worship the invisible fish?

Because they outnumber us."

I know it's cooky and abstract, but the point is you can't fight an army of ignorance on your own... even if you know you are right. Sometimes, as a person in the minority, you have to play the game for the sake of your own safety.

Getting into a battle with a group of ignorant twits like that in the heat of the moment is NOT going to make the situation better. It's just going to give them more ammunition and more motivation to make your life difficult.

Also, to quote Martin Luther King (replace racial justice with sexual equality):

"Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. I am not unmindful of the fact that violence often brings about momentary results. Nations have frequently won their independence in battle. But in spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones. Violence is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends up defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers."

So as for what to do about it? I think your silence and your unwillingness to react to their taunts is the best thing that you can do. You have to be a bigger person, and you have to not succumb to the taunts of the ignorant masses. They will stop, as their motivation will quickly dissolve, and eventually your strength of character will invalidate whatever arguments they have about their superiority about you. Their words are meaningless, because they are just stupid children. Don't ever forget that you are the smarter, better person here.

That being said, if they ever touch you again or become physical in any way you have my support to deck one of them square in the face as a means of self defense.

"I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence." - Malcom X

Just be sure to take everything I am saying as the perspective of an outsider. Don't look for reasons to become violent. Don't invite hostility into your life. Just be smart about it... mmmkay? :slight_smile:

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just *confused* by it. I've never heard any stereotype that suggests that lesbians don't have feelings. I'd have had to ask for clarification.

But seriously, I am sorry you had to deal with that. As a rule, people think about what they say a good deal less than they should. And as another rule, they aren't nearly as bright as we often give them credit for being. Tis why I often find myself asking for clarification...and then shooting down their silliness and/or raining on their parade. Good luck with any follow-up you may end up having with these people.

7. hiddenxrainbows

@annika They only said that because they're stupid children, like previously said. There is no stereotype that says lesbians have no feelings, or at least none that I can think of. They just said that because obviously, they don't like lesbians. >_>

But what they said was totally wrong. You should prolly keep your cool, though I'm sure it's not easy. I've heard people say stupid shit about me before, and it's hard not fighting back. But fighting back does end up only making things worse. Maybe you should file a complaint, because you shouldn't have to put up with that.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm planning on filing a compliant with the RHD of my building. The only problem is that I do not know who they are.

I am confused by it too... I have no idea what they ment at all.

@PaiselySounds Thanks, i was thinking about the fact that I was outnumbered when I decided to be quiet. Also, thanks for the quotes they will be useful when I get mad.